The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Truk_Kurt

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Does anyone have any experience with an adapter which would allow me to play a Wii via HDMI on a HDTV as my TV doesn't have a AV port. Any recommendations?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Does your TV have component inputs? That's your best bet.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DCh ... RBF&adurl=

Otherwise you'll need something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/consoles-PORTH ... 1377955588
Kal_Luke

Post by Kal_Luke »

That’s cool. I’ve been thinking of getting a Wii. Do they work with RE4 on new TVs. I mean is that like a light gun or more similar to the motion control of Mario Galaxy on switch
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Wii remote works on any TV as it uses infra-red and the sensor bar, rather than the screen itself.

Another way to play Wii via HDMI of course is to get a Wii U, which is 100% backwards compatible with Wii (but you lose GameCube compatibility).
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

If you do have a component port, you can even just use the composite cable with it, just plug the video into the green port and leave the other two empty, though obviously it's worth getting a component cable when you can. For HDMI, I have an adapter, it works just fine, and from what I understand they're pretty much all made by some factory in China, so they're basically all the same.
Kal_Luke

Post by Kal_Luke »

ratsoalbion wrote: May 13th, 2021, 1:11 pm Wii remote works on any TV as it uses infra-red and the sensor bar, rather than the screen itself.

Another way to play Wii via HDMI of course is to get a Wii U, which is 100% backwards compatible with Wii (but you lose GameCube compatibility).
I have a shield and was considering buying a mayflash dolphin bar to emulate the discs that I own copies of including RE4 Wii and Mario galaxy.

WiiU’s are going so cheap now though that your mention of them is inspiring me to get one. I understand they are quite easy to run CFW on too and their low sales might make them a collectible item in years to come.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

ratsoalbion wrote: May 13th, 2021, 1:01 pm Does your TV have component inputs? That's your best bet.

Unfortunately not, it's too new haha. It only has HDMI ports. My other concern is that it's so thin and quite low to the ground that I don't know where I could put the sensor bar as it wouldn't be able to balance on the top of the TV and I don't really want to sellotape it on.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Indeed: My Wii U sensor bar teeters on top of my modern(ish) TV, but it's not exactly stable, due to the thinness of the panel. A small sticky pad on the underside is recommended.
Kal_Luke

Post by Kal_Luke »

I have a pro pad but use a mayflash device to play Switch on the TV using PS4 pad (prefer stick locations) but I’m pretty much unable to use my Switch in handheld mode due to terrible drift on both analogue sticks. Has anyone had any luck with repairs or are there any recommended 3rd party joy cons?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Truk_Kurt wrote: May 13th, 2021, 12:48 pm Does anyone have any experience with an adapter which would allow me to play a Wii via HDMI on a HDTV as my TV doesn't have a AV port. Any recommendations?
Beware the cheapo 'HDMI adapters', I have one, it was about £15, but you get interference on the screen, diagonal lines, they're faint but irritating.

(Though there are plenty of 5* reviews on Amazon, so YMMV).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Kal_Luke wrote: May 13th, 2021, 4:38 pm I have a pro pad but use a mayflash device to play Switch on the TV using PS4 pad (prefer stick locations) but I’m pretty much unable to use my Switch in handheld mode due to terrible drift on both analogue sticks. Has anyone had any luck with repairs or are there any recommended 3rd party joy cons?
May be worth asking Nintendo, they fixed mine free. Otherwise, I have one of the d-pad left joycons which works great, but you're still stuck for a right one. The BinBok joycons are meant to be brilliant, but out of stock on Amazon (I've been looking today).
Kal_Luke

Post by Kal_Luke »

I’ve been looking at the Binboks. They look great and the price is good but I’ve seen they can be inconsistent with quality. I’d like to pay £30 more and it be a premium split pro. If wishes were wings...

The switch I bought is used and all the info on the Nintendo website mentions sending proof of purchase. I suppose I might be advised to buy new official Joy Cons but it’s commonly mentioned online that they still drift.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I ended up ordering a Hori Split Pad to see how it is. Can always send it back if I miss gyro aim too much, but the hope is that with decent sticks I won't need it. Fingers crossed!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Kal_Luke wrote: May 14th, 2021, 8:50 am I might be advised to buy new official Joy Cons but it’s commonly mentioned online that they still drift.
True, they do, but I suppose at least you'll have the 2 year warranty on them. Plus every time they're fixed you get another year. Annoyed with myself that pure lazyness meant mine slipped out of warranty before I got round to fixing the right one, so I'm planning on getting some of that contact cleaner (have you considered this to fix yours?)
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Alex79uk wrote: May 14th, 2021, 9:17 pm I ended up ordering a Hori Split Pad to see how it is. Can always send it back if I miss gyro aim too much, but the hope is that with decent sticks I won't need it. Fingers crossed!
I'll be interested to know how you find them. Being able to have more of a controller type grip while handheld is definitely appealing.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Jon Cheetham wrote: May 15th, 2021, 1:58 am
Alex79uk wrote: May 14th, 2021, 9:17 pm I ended up ordering a Hori Split Pad to see how it is. Can always send it back if I miss gyro aim too much, but the hope is that with decent sticks I won't need it. Fingers crossed!
I'll be interested to know how you find them. Being able to have more of a controller type grip while handheld is definitely appealing.
Mate, it's fantastic! No need for motion controls, the sticks are great for aiming on their own. Honestly it's made Borderlands so much more playable in handheld, so I imagine it'll do the same for other FPS games, which I've generally avoided on Switch before simply due to the handheld controls. It really is great.

Felt a bit weird at first because it makes the Switch so much larger, and looks kinda funny, but that disappeared after a few minutes once I got used to it. They're really lightweight too - maybe a little too light if anything, but they function flawlessly.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Alex79uk wrote: May 15th, 2021, 12:16 pm
Jon Cheetham wrote: May 15th, 2021, 1:58 am
Mate, it's fantastic! No need for motion controls, the sticks are great for aiming on their own. Honestly it's made Borderlands so much more playable in handheld, so I imagine it'll do the same for other FPS games, which I've generally avoided on Switch before simply due to the handheld controls. It really is great.

Felt a bit weird at first because it makes the Switch so much larger, and looks kinda funny, but that disappeared after a few minutes once I got used to it. They're really lightweight too - maybe a little too light if anything, but they function flawlessly.
Nice! Good to hear that. Will pick some up as well then, soon!
Kal_Luke

Post by Kal_Luke »

That’s good to know the Hori SPP is great. I suppose I just have in my mind going to one of those ball maze Shrines and not being able to do it.

I think in the US they are fixing the official Joy Cons out of Warranty but I don’t believe they are here
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

I haven't used the Joycons once since the day I got the Hori Split Pad a couple of years ago. The buttons, sticks and grip are incomparably better.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Truk_Kurt wrote: May 13th, 2021, 2:57 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: May 13th, 2021, 1:01 pm Does your TV have component inputs? That's your best bet.

Unfortunately not, it's too new haha. It only has HDMI ports. My other concern is that it's so thin and quite low to the ground that I don't know where I could put the sensor bar as it wouldn't be able to balance on the top of the TV and I don't really want to sellotape it on.
You may have better luck with a component cable from your wii then a component to HDMI converter.

I use this for my projector which only has HDMI inputs and to my eyes it looks brilliant. My wii and ps2 output this way with the converter but like Leon says a wiiU would no doubt be superior and you get the virtual console too!!