The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
hazeredmist

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by hazeredmist »

Stanshall wrote: July 10th, 2019, 3:24 pmOn that note, as great as the original system is, it's probably the most fragile, fiddly and creaky Nintendo hardware I've personally ever used. All the little flaps and the ever so slightly loose Joycons and the ugly and unergonomic rails and stuff. It's ingenious and it works but it's hardly Apple in either aesthetics or functionality. Compared to the DS Lite or 3DS, it's pretty average. The dock as well is pretty chunky and ugly and cheap. It's a strange product purely from a visual and functional design perspective and yet it's my favourite console ever. What it needs to do, it does extremely well.
Agreed... Only using the Satisfye allowed me to relax without feeling like the Switch would snap apart in my hands. I don't like the kickstand either, it's terrible. It's placed so poorly and your finger can sometimes nudge it out as it's so flimsily held in place. Yeuch. You really shouldn't need to buy an expensive peripheral to make your expensive console comfortable to use.

I'd go so far as to say that build quality wise, Nintendo are actually quite overrated:

- GBA - dodgy battery cover
- DS - dodgy hinges
- N64 - analogue sticks pretty much guaranteed to be fucked / severely degraded after a while
- 3DS - creaky / buttons inexplicably make permanent impressions on the casing above, even on the New 3DS (wtf)
- Switch - aforementioned build issues. To me, HD rumble is also irritating, it feels like a shit phone vibration, awful in the hands. I have had it disabled pretty much the whole time I've had the Switch, and every time I test it out again, it quickly annoys and goes back off.

I quite like the Wii U Gamepad as a more solid device, although others criticised that.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sweet.

A cheaper, slightly smaller Switch that will be available as an option to buy if that’s what you feel like you need.

Great colours too, they look lovely.

Like every Nintendo handheld before it, I expect this revision to have better build quality and ergonomics. The round edges on the Switch Lite look gooood.

Not needing to have the requirement of the primary controls and handles to be interchangeable will make it feel a lot sturdier too.

The biggest bad point I can see so far is the fact there is no way to connect it to the TV either out of the box or with additional peripherals later on.

I also very much approve of the ‘Lite’ name coming back, as the DS Lite is one of the best looking and feeling handhelds I can think of.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I can only assume other people treat their hardware like shite!
😆

My N64 analogues never broke, my GBAs are both still near perfect, as is my GameCube, my SNES and N64 were both still in tip-top shape when I sold them, my N3DS XL is pristine bar a few touchscreen scratches.

I’m not going to argue about the Switch’s kickstand, but I’ve not had a problem with any other aspect of it (although admittedly I use it docked 95% of the time).

I really like the d-pad and the colours of the Lite, but I have no need for one whatsoever.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: July 10th, 2019, 4:11 pm The biggest bad point I can see so far is the fact there is no way to connect it to the TV either out of the box or with additional peripherals later on.
Yeah, not even putting in an HDMI port is a bold design decision - this is very much a handheld through and through. One other potential drawback would be compatibility issues with some of the games that have been designed around the detachable joycons.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 10th, 2019, 4:18 pm One other potential drawback would be compatibility issues with some of the games that have been designed around the detachable joycons.

Yeah, 1-2 Switch & Snipperclips are the two that spring to mind.

There are ways to play games like Arms via traditional controllers, so I wonder if the games that don’t - will get patched !?

Also, I’ve not seen any mention of gyroscopic input, but it clearly shows games like Splatoon and BotW being played - but then again, those games have the options to remove that input.

As a fan of gyroscopic input, I hope it’s in there.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: July 10th, 2019, 4:21 pm As a fan of gyroscopic input, I hope it’s in there.
But even if it is, it would only be a singular input like the 3DS. The game wouldn't be able to track two different input / locations of two different joycons like with the base console.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Gyro for Splatoon is essential once you get into it, and motion controls are easier for Odyssey than shaking the entire console (although that did make me laugh) but generally, the games which require or promote motion or gyro are pretty average. ARMS is vastly improved with traditional controls and the motion marketing arguably scuppered its chance to be considered for what it really is - a deep, tactical, technical fighter.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 10th, 2019, 4:18 pm
Suits wrote: July 10th, 2019, 4:11 pm The biggest bad point I can see so far is the fact there is no way to connect it to the TV either out of the box or with additional peripherals later on.
Yeah, not even putting in an HDMI port is a bold design decision
I suppose there still needs to be an incentive to buy the 'full' version though.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

ratsoalbion wrote: July 10th, 2019, 4:15 pm I can only assume other people treat their hardware like shite!
😆

My N64 analogues never broke, my GBAs are both still near perfect, as is my GameCube, my SNES and N64 were both still in tip-top shape when I sold them, my N3DS XL is pristine bar a few touchscreen scratches.

I’m not going to argue about the Switch’s kickstand, but I’ve not had a problem with any other aspect of it (although admittedly I use it docked 95% of the time).

I really like the d-pad and the colours of the Lite, but I have no need for one whatsoever.
Certainly not me, all my points are valid and widely known... I treat my hardware very well. Just ask my wife who will tell you I'm insufferable with this :D The 3DS issue with buttons for example is quite simply a design flaw, as they make contact with the top screen and shouldn't.

These are minor moans really. I still love all these consoles!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Stanshall wrote: July 10th, 2019, 4:32 pm Gyro for Splatoon is essential once you get into it, and motion controls are easier for Odyssey than shaking the entire console (although that did make me laugh) but generally, the games which require or promote motion or gyro are pretty average. ARMS is vastly improved with traditional controls and the motion marketing arguably scuppered its chance to be considered for what it really is - a deep, tactical, technical fighter.
Oddly despite playing Splatoon to a decent level I've never bothered with gyro other than experimentation, I'm much better with tweaked analogue control. But it seems accepted that most high level players will use gyro?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Yeah, stick for macro, gyro for micro, basically. It's much much better in my opinion but I'm not great with sticks, which probably makes the difference.
Suits

Post by Suits »

hazeredmist wrote: July 10th, 2019, 4:50 pm The 3DS issue with buttons for example is quite simply a design flaw, as they make contact with the top screen and shouldn't.
This was with the first version 3DS wasn’t it and was designed out in the next revision, which was the 3DS-XL.

The other two revisions to the 3DS after that had also eliminated the problem.

While Nintendo have had design issues with their handhelds in the past, it’s quite clear that every iteration of that model onward had done something to address it.

I also feel, that while the issues you mentioned previously are all true, they’re not as wide spread as I feel you make out. Perhaps.

Most valid issues that you mention like worn out sticks, snapped hinges, broken battery covers are items that are victims of misuse or neglect - like any piece of hardware that’s designed to be used in the hard and portable to a degree.

Of the examples you mention, I have ten DS models, four GBA’s (non SP) and four N64 controllers. None of those have any of the issues you mention.

I have rather a great expectation that this new Switch Lite will deliver on a hardware perspective.

I’ll get the new Switch Lite because I’m an idiot.

I’ll use the excuse that my wife is a keen Animal Crossing fan and balked at the idea of sharing an island on the new game. So it’s a perfect excuse to try out the new version.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I’ve got a New 3DS and there is an imprint of the analogue on the top screen so it either wasn’t addressed or I’ve been rather unlucky (as have many when I looked it up when I noticed it). Like I say I treat my kit very well.

Seems we’re at risk of labouring this one with me in a minority, so we can agree to disagree about these build quality issues and I’ll post no further about it :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

hazeredmist wrote: July 10th, 2019, 7:46 pm I’ve got a New 3DS and there is an imprint of the analogue on the top screen so it either wasn’t addressed or I’ve been rather unlucky (as have many when I looked it up when I noticed it). Like I say I treat my kit very well.

Seems we’re at risk of labouring this one with me in a minority, so we can agree to disagree about these build quality issues and I’ll post no further about it :)
I've got no interest in labouring anyone as a minority, I just want to know more about something I wasn't aware of.

So, these are my two, multiple 100+ hour, internationally travelled, 'New' 3DS's. Standard and XL. I can't see anything close to the issues that affected the first version.

I know the first version suffered, so much so, people would place a soft cloth between the screens when they'd fold it away (I know a member of the staff here that still does this !!).

I always thought that the inclusion of a higher bezel on the bottom screen and rubber nodes on the top panel, solved this issue - clearly not.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

In case this is relevant: My mate has a launch 3DS and has been complaining to me several times about the shoddy build quality of his model, including some of those that Haze mentioned like the button imprint. On the other hand, I've just checked on my 3DS XL, and it has two little nobs who prevent the two screens / any of the buttons from touching each other when closing the lid.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 10th, 2019, 8:20 pm In case this is relevant: My mate has a launch 3DS and has been complaining to me several times about the shoddy build quality of his model, including some of those that Haze mentioned like the button imprint. On the other hand, I've just checked on my 3DS XL, and it has two little nobs who prevent the two screens / any of the buttons from touching each other when closing the lid.
Yes, the launch 3DS suffered from it, every version after that has the rubber nodes to protect the top screen from imprint.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I’ve never noticed either way. Minor cosmetic stuff like that just doesn’t bother me really.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Suits wrote: July 10th, 2019, 8:13 pm
hazeredmist wrote: July 10th, 2019, 7:46 pm I’ve got a New 3DS and there is an imprint of the analogue on the top screen so it either wasn’t addressed or I’ve been rather unlucky (as have many when I looked it up when I noticed it). Like I say I treat my kit very well.

I've got no interest in labouring anyone as a minority, I just want to know more about something I wasn't aware of.

So, these are my two, multiple 100+ hour, internationally travelled, 'New' 3DS's. Standard and XL. I can't see anything close to the issues that affected the first version.

I know the first version suffered, so much so, people would place a soft cloth between the screens when they'd fold it away (I know a member of the staff here that still does this !!).

I always thought that the inclusion of a higher bezel on the bottom screen and rubber nodes on the top panel, solved this issue - clearly not.

Nah I just didn’t want to fall into the trap of repeating myself or coming across argumentative, it’s odd explaining a point you know to be true and seeing multiple people refute it - or even suggest it’s down to lack of care, something very much not in my nature. A picture of my own will clear it up I guess!

My own New 3DS is in its case somewhere I’d disturb sleeping beauty if I seek it out right now, but I’ll snap it when I can so you see what I mean. Here’s some dude mentioning it on Reddit, just one of many threads on the matter with this model online https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.redd ... ds_non_xl/

It’s been used a decent amount but only by me, lives in a very good case and is kept clean. It isn’t ever pressed together in a pocket as some guy suggests in this Reddit thread.

When I noticed it, I was fairly dismayed, it doesn’t clean away. I’m less bothered now but at the time it was quite annoying. But it is real, at least in my device :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

hazeredmist wrote: July 10th, 2019, 10:40 pm It’s been used a decent amount but only by me, lives in a very good case and is kept clean. It isn’t ever pressed together in a pocket as some guy suggests in this Reddit thread.
Yeah, it does look like its been sat on or something doesn't it.

Madness.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Aye. Just one of a few times I’ve thought things could be a little better with the build quality of Nintendo products. Nothing particularly major and there are certainly worse hardware manufacturers out there for this sort of thing. It is what it is!

Here’s a thing with the Switch Lite actually... it does seem a more attractive option if digital content sharing across two consoles is a thing, a search seems to suggest it is... When you get yours Suits being able to use the same games across both is a bit of a selling point.

Apparently Mark MSX is doing an article on how the new design will work with shmups in particular. Presumably centred on how it’s fantastic that it has a d-pad but won’t fit a flip grip. There are games on PSP that are played with the console flipped vertically mind, so it is possible the d-pad could be taken advantage of in that way.