The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Suits »

Oh that sounds like a shame.

I’m not a Pokemon player but I assumed that that Poke ball thing was going to be the Thrustmaster of the series.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: November 20th, 2018, 7:03 pm I’m not a Pokemon player
Now that you mention it, it does seem to be somewhat of a blind spot in your otherwise incredibly thorough and enthusiastic Nintendo repertoire! :P

While we're on the subject (and if you don't mind expanding on this), what are your thoughts on each flagship Nintendo franchise and how would you compare them to one another?
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 20th, 2018, 7:14 pm
Suits wrote: November 20th, 2018, 7:03 pm I’m not a Pokemon player
Now that you mention it, it does seem to be somewhat of a blind spot in your otherwise incredibly thorough and enthusiastic Nintendo repertoire! :P
I just missed the boat on it I think.

I'm 34 now, the first series hit the UK when I was in year 11 I think, so about 16/17. So it just didn't get its hooks into me.

So when I played Yellow when on my GameBoy when it first came out, I didn't have that character attachment and drive.

I did get Pokemon Sun a few years ago on my 3DS mind and enjoyed that for twenty or so hours but then just put it down - again, I had no real attachment to what felt was the key factor of the game/series.

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 20th, 2018, 7:14 pm While we're on the subject (and if you don't mind expanding on this), what are your thoughts on each flagship Nintendo franchise and how would you compare them to one another?
Wow, how long have you got, this sounds like a topic of chat over PSN or something :lol: .

Simply, Nintendo games sort of fall into two brand categories for me (personally).

I have the games that create worlds and characters that I get lost in and adore Metroid, Zelda, etc...Then games I just simply love to play, Pikmin, Wario, Yoshi etc... so it's kind of hard to compare them I suppose.

I've always played Nintendo games but in the last five years they've injected a new enthusiasm for gaming into me that was starting to fade, which was down to what I can only describe as a sort of blandness that had crept into the industry narrowing it's appeal to me.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I missed the boat with Pokemon too (my era was more TMNT, Mattel-ish things, and a little Voltron). My first attempt with any games was Pokemon Y on the 3DS, and I get it, objectively, and the game is good, objectively, but I don't have the emotional attachment that others have.

And to be honest: I kinda envy others excitement and enthusiasm with Pokemon. I know many people still happily playing Pokemon Go, still collecting.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

It's generally a pet hate of mine when people dismiss Nintendo games because they're 'kiddie', but I guess I'm a bit guilty of this where Pokemon is concerned. I dunno, most Nintendo stuff seems more 'universal/all ages' in appeal, like the best Pixar movies - whereas Pokemon always seemed to skew that much younger? I think perhaps it's because I was first aware of it primarily because of the trading cards and cartoon, so just mentally filed it as 'kids stuff' at the time. I wouldn't rule out trying out one of the games in in the future (I have a couple of friends, not much younger than me, that are obsessed with it), but Let's Go in particular doesn't really appeal, especially as they're so keen to tie it into Go, a phenomenon that I find completely baffling.
James

Post by James »

I'm another who missed the boat on Pokemon. Definitely wouldn't dream of dismissing it as kiddie though. I mean, I was 16 back in 1998, and may well have looked down on it a bit back then (insecurities of a teenage James, sadly), but I'd love to have the passion for it that so many do, particularly those a few years my junior.

I did try Black/White upon release (2011?), but I just didn't gel with it. Something, as is so often the case, to do with the rhythm of how I wanted to play being at odds with the rhythm of the game.

I definitely don't think that Pokemon inherently skews younger (than I was when I first became aware of it), but I think it's fair to say that it's often picked up at that sorta age.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I played a fair bit of X/Y and I can see the appeal, but I think it’s not for me.

Loved the Pokken game on the WiiU though...
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: November 21st, 2018, 10:41 pm Loved the Pokken game on the WiiU though...
Huh, yeah, that’s probably my favourite Pokemon game.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Massive eshop sale going on at the moment if anyone is interested - some great bargains available.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

KissMammal wrote: November 22nd, 2018, 5:59 pm Massive eshop sale going on at the moment if anyone is interested - some great bargains available.
Eshop? Which console? I had a look at the DD eshop last night and there was very little on sale.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Admittedly the sale is probably a little more substantial in the US eShop vs the Europe one (I picked up Minit, Undertale, Wild Guns Reloaded and Dead Cells), but there's still some good bargains in there, especially if you've been waiting to pick up some of the big hitters like Mario Odyssey, BotW, Skyrim or Tropical Freeze.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Loving Pokemon Let's Go right now. I was 12 when I first started Pokemon Red, which was probably just the right age. For me the idea is brilliant - every single thing you fight you can use. A trainer has a really cool looking pokemon? Check your pokedex and find out where it hangs. That pokemon in the wild that is tough to beat and irritating to fight? Claim it as your own and use those tactics.

I also really appreciate the streamlined nature of it compared to other RPGs too. The stats are fairly simple to understand, and it's mostly 1 v 1 at any time. If your strategy isn't working, it's easy to understand why and know what you have to do to change it up.

That said, I can totally understand not being into it if you weren't at the right age when it hit. I love some of the Pokemon designs, but looking at some of the later generation pokemon and they just feel awful to me. Obviously not all, but there are some I just can't make heads or tails of what I'm looking at, and I can imagine many would think the same about the first 151 had they not been 12 at the time they were pushed into their minds.

That said, I think barring a few iffy monsters, the design of the first lot are really strong due to 1) Mostly being existing animal + element and/or based on legends and 2) low res black and white graphics needing simple but recognisable designs.

As for the new game, it's a nice relaxing ride. It does tend to the easier side, but after the first two gyms I've stopped simply one shotting pokemon and have had to consider my choices a bit more. Even ran into trouble in one or two places. Also you can russle up Pikachu's hair and he is adorable.
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

I was thinking of getting Let's Go because I heard about the co-op functionality. My 4 year old is wanting to play some video games and think this might be a good entry point to just follow my character around and feel like he's part of the adventure. Anybody had any similar experiences with the game?
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Anyone played the Switch port of Cities: Skylines?

This game was one of my most-wanted ports for the Switch, so I was delighted to see it get surprise released a few months ago, but the bad word of mouth and $40 price tag put me off.

However I'm starting to hear some backlash to the backlash, or an indication that the initial negative reaction was a little overblown, so I'm tempted to pick it up for some long flights I have coming up.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Good news for GameCube owners who don’t have a CRT.

This looks pretty special, I’ve got a CRT and I’m thinking of getting one.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Sweet, seems worth looking into. I'm having trouble following all the technical details, though.

Have they announced a european release?
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: December 17th, 2018, 8:06 pm Sweet, seems worth looking into. I'm having trouble following all the technical details, though.

Have they announced a european release?
Yeah, it can be head bender.

What’s important though is that there is now a decent external HDMI converter for modern display panels, with lots of display options.

It’s a digital converter that will take YPbPr or RGB signal and convert it too HDMI - effectively making it multi region, you can pre-order it now.

I’ve heard about these for a while but general consensus is it’s good.

Digital Foundry are a fan also.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone had any experience with a similar product for Wii? Seems great value if it works well, and awful as it sounds, the blurry vision is what mainly puts me off spending more time with my Wii.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K1T6666/ ... 1341655988
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

What are you using, Alex? I have an official component cable for Wii, which can output in 480p on modern screens. The GC HDMI converters that Suits brought up also result in 480p at max, so for Wii that wouldn't be much of an improvement.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you're talking about. Wonder what that Wii2HD would look like. It'll obviously upscale from native 480p to 1080p, so the result is anyone's guess, without testing.