The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 16th, 2019, 1:26 pm So did you get one? I'm still on the fence and looking for trustworthy consumer impressions... :|
I didn’t mate, no.

It solves a problem I don’t actually have but is still a great product by all accounts from what I’ve heard so far.

I don’t think you’d be disappointed.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: January 16th, 2019, 2:00 pm I don’t think you’d be disappointed.
If the price wasn't so steep, I probably would have bought it already. Hmm, decisions, decisions...

Great write up on Captain Toad: TT, btw. Definitely made me curious about the game even though it wasn't on my radar until now. You don't seem particularly enthused about the Switch version, though. Would you say the WiiU version is the superior one, despite the lack of bonus Odyssey levels? I'm considering picking it up.

Suits wrote: January 17th, 2019, 2:14 pm I promise, I’ve tried to keep this as short as possible
Ha, I know what you mean. My MGSV first draft was about three times as long as the final one! :lol:
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 5:10 am If the price wasn't so steep, I probably would have bought it already. Hmm, decisions, decisions...
Yes, it’s not cheap from an initial PoV.

Mind if you start to look into it and the other options available to get similar results, it appears to hold quite a bit of value.

From the reviews I’ve read and watched, it seems like the improvements it makes are worth the outlay.

I’d love to get my hands on one to see what it’s all about to be honest.
KSubzero1000 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 5:10 am Great write up on Captain Toad: TT, btw. Definitely made me curious about the game even though it wasn't on my radar until now. You don't seem particularly enthused about the Switch version, though. Would you say the WiiU version is the superior one, despite the lack of bonus Odyssey levels? I'm considering picking it up.
Cheers dude, in my initial draft I made a summary suggesting that the Wii U would be the better option overall in my opinion - although the HUGE benefits of being to carry the Switch wherever you need to blurs that choice a great deal.

After all, the whole reason I double dipped on CT in the first place was the fact I could carry it around on my Swicth.

There is also the 3DS version but the delicious graphics of this game make it a easier to lean towards th me other versions.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Had a bit of Nintendo to-do today.
Suits wrote: January 7th, 2019, 9:35 pm The NES style Joy-Cons have become available to buy if you're an Nintendo Online member.

These are pretty useless apart from working very well with the NES online games and the occasional functionality with other games.

£50 too.
Yeah, so this happened.

They look and feel pretty rad actually.

My Travis Strikes back pre-order arrived at work whilst I was on site last week, Friday. So I picked it up today.

To my surprise, when I opened it, it only contained the Pre-Order bonus art/print thing a pack of Mario & Luigi themed tea coasters (which are pretty rad actually). No game.

After speaking with Nintendo customer support and sending them a photo of what I actually received, I don't know whats going to happen. I'm just waiting for them to contact me back. The dude on the phoned, seemed worryingly shocked by it - which didn't do much to inspire me.

Then, last night a good few hours into a decent session of Z:tWW, my Wii U gamepad kept disconnecting from my console. Gutted.

It was getting kinda late so I decided to call it a night at that point but I hope this isn't a sign of my darling Wii U dying :( .
Suits

Post by Suits »

So Nintendo emailed me back providing me with a set of codes and an apology that the reason they’re sending me codes is that the game is out of stock.

The cynical side of me thinks that they knew the game was out of stock and they sent me coasters knowing I’d be in contact and they’d send me codes.

I don’t want codes, I want the physical game.

I’ve told them I’ll wait for it as I’m a collector. I’d have rather they just cancel the order and let me decide whether I want to purchase codes.

I don’t see this panning out as I hope.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

That's messed up mate, sorry to hear that. :(

Hoping for a happy ending to this.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Wow. No More Heroes, a series with only three games, has now had two goofed releases. The original was delayed nearly a month in Canada because Ubisoft - a French company - didn't follow French language laws in printing the covers and manuals. They shipped originally with two English instruction booklets and had to recall every single copy.

Big oof.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Little bit more on my Nintendo to-do, they contacted me today to explain that they are sorry and will send me out a physical version of they game as soon as they have more copies.

In the mean time, I was provided a download code for the game and a season pass code also, so that I can at least play the game.

I promptly gave the codes to a friend.

I'll just wait now, which may not be too much of an issue seeing as though it hasn't received glowing reviews and RE:2 is out this week also.

That said, I've very much enjoyed low scoring games in the past and was keen to give this a fair go.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

That was nice of you to give the codes away!
Suits

Post by Suits »

ThirdDrawing wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 8:12 pm That was nice of you to give the codes away!
Well essentialy it’s a free copy of the game. I’m in no real rush to play it currently, so thought I’d pass it on now while the game is relatively new and hopefully be played - sort of made sense really :) .
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Amiibos!

I’m starting breath of the wild and have been bombarded with emails from Nintendo about amiibos which integrate with this game.

I’ve always been on the “other” side when it came to gaming and so I’m relatively new to most nintendo games aside from the odd major release. The whole amiibo craze passed me by and I have absolutely no idea what value they hold in terms of enhancing the game or whether they are nice figurines which offer some in game window dressing.

I’m looking at the wolf link amiibo which seems to offer a lot more than some of the others and I’m tempted but the £50 eBay price tag is putting me off gambling.

I’m just wondering whether amiibos especially for this game are worth it or are they just nice collectors items.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Very much the latter I would say.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Wow, £50 !!!

As much as I’d love to say they enhance the games, they really don’t in my opinion.

I see them as very well built models of characters I like, that have a mild use in some games.

It doesn’t stop me getting them out on my desk for when I play their respective games though :lol: .
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Suddenly, my purchase of a used copy of Twilight Princess HD for ~$40 when they were still available new doesn't seem nearly as clever as it did at the time....
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I have a Wolf Link, one of my four amiibo. I do like it and was a present from my Mum, but I’d probably sell it for big bucks.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Nintendo is really not doing a great job of justifying the existence of Amiibos as gaming accessories. Like. I'm perfectly content to just display them - that's why I bought them. But you'd think at very least they could have some intern make up some 3DS themes or in-game decals or Mario Kart cars, or just SOMETHING beyond the diddly-dick most of them do now.

I have the Chibi-Robo Amiibo - really nice little figure. I got it with Zip Lash for $10. But I don't think that Amiibo has ANY function outside Zip Lash, and even then, all it does is unlock a Super Guide feature for a game that doesn't seem very hard.

That being said? Ubisoft is really taking the piss charging $40 for little toy spaceships to use with Starlink. There is *no* justification for that, especially when the base game is $100 on its own.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Starlink is £20 odd here, extra ships are £5 each (or that was the case when I last popped into a GAME store anyway).
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 24th, 2019, 5:06 pm Starlink is £20 odd here, extra ships are £5 each (or that was the case when I last popped into a GAME store anyway).
See, that's actually reasonable. Here, the starter kit is $100, ships are $40, "pilot packs" are $13 and "weapon packs" are $15. No idea why we're getting fleeced so hard in Canada.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The price quickly plummeted after the game was kinda sent out to die.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Oh, AAA publishers... "We need to exploit gambling addicts because we're too inept to make money the proper way!"