The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Suits »

Cadence of Hyrule releasing on the 30th May according to a datamine of the Switch eShop.

Which would be nice.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Is it just me, or is the Resident Evil remake really bloody hard compared to the original?

ISTR bog standard zombies and dogs being pretty easy to fend off in the original provided you played carefully and methodically. However in this version the enemy placements are really cheap - they always put zombies round tight corners and in especially confined areas where you have very little maneuverability, and this plus the fact that the pistol has no stopping power whatsoever makes it really frustrating to play. It often feels like you only have time to squeeze one or two rounds off before the enemy is on top of you, and the fact that the zombies seem to be able to move faster than your running speed means it's often pointless trying to get some distance between you and them. It often feels like taking damage is completely unavoidable, and I'm only fairly early in the game so far.

Am I missing something obvious? It seems unreasonably difficult to me so far (playing with Jill on 'normal' mode).
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Suits wrote: May 28th, 2019, 2:54 pm Good stuff 👍🏽.

On another note, it seems some Mario Maker 2 news is seeping out of a Japanese press release.

No amiibo support what so ever and no friend based multiplayer - it’s randoms only, which sounds bad initially.

Local multi-Switch multiplayer will work as expected though.

***EDIT - The usual Nintendo twitter folk have highlighted that this info has come from event reps and may well be misinformation about the games final features.
I've cancelled my preorder for this, but that's largely because I'm hooked on other genres right now, and can't really justify the outlay for something I'll probably not touch for ages. It'll keep.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Pokemon direct at 2pm!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The games coming to NES Online in June are:

Double Dragon 2: The Revenge
Volleyball
City Connection

Nice selection, never even heard of City Connection and it looks fun and crazy so that's cool.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

So Pokemon Sword and Shield are out on 15th November

Dynamax - Dynamax is the GiantDynamaxed Pokémon gain more powerful moves. Dynamax works once per battle but only lasts 3 turns

Raid Battles - Max Raid Battles are a multiplayer feature where players come together to face wild Dynamax Pokémon. Only one player can use a Dynamaxed Pokémon. At the end, players can battle. Pokémon in Dynamax Battles vary depending on location. Some Pokémon can only be found in Max Raid Battles

There will be a mixture of random encounters and overworld encounters, with traditional battling and catching mechanics.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

KissMammal wrote: June 4th, 2019, 1:28 am Is it just me, or is the Resident Evil remake really bloody hard compared to the original?
Yes, REmake (and Zero) are arguably the most challenging classic RE games due to the more restrictive inventory management and lack of cheesing opportunities.

KissMammal wrote: June 4th, 2019, 1:28 am It often feels like you only have time to squeeze one or two rounds off before the enemy is on top of you
Well, yes. You're not supposed to be standing still when fighting. Count your shots, evaluate the distance between you and the enemy and know when to disengage and relocate. If maneuverability is restricted and stopping power is necessary, use the shotgun at close range.

KissMammal wrote: June 4th, 2019, 1:28 am the zombies seem to be able to move faster than your running speed means it's often pointless trying to get some distance between you and them
The standard zombies most certainly aren't walking faster than Jill's running animation. The Crimson Heads on the other hand are fast, which is why you should either remember their locations and learn how to circumvent them, or save your most powerful ammunition to take them out.

KissMammal wrote: June 4th, 2019, 1:28 am It often feels like taking damage is completely unavoidable
Every single bit of damage in the game is avoidable.

KissMammal wrote: June 4th, 2019, 1:28 am Am I missing something obvious?
Search the environment carefully, use defense items, keep track of your inventory management, plan your routes ahead of time, backtrack if necessary, clear the often-traversed areas of any zombies from a safe distance, run away if there isn't anything to be gained from fighting, don't hesitate to relocate during combat, try to burn as many enemy corpses as possible as soon as possible.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I found Code: Veronica harder (and less fair in places) than either 2002 or Zero.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 5th, 2019, 9:27 pm I found Code: Veronica harder (and less fair in places) than either 2002 or Zero.
Yes, that's a good candidate but it's mostly because the game is trying to screw you over at every turn rather than having a properly thought out but demanding set of mechanics like REmake.

REmake is the epitome of "perfectly feasible with a little effort".
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

KSubzero1000 wrote: June 5th, 2019, 9:15 pm
KissMammal wrote: June 4th, 2019, 1:28 am Is it just me, or is the Resident Evil remake really bloody hard compared to the original?
Yes, REmake (and Zero) are arguably the most challenging classic RE games due to the more restrictive inventory management and lack of cheesing opportunities.

KissMammal wrote: June 4th, 2019, 1:28 am It often feels like you only have time to squeeze one or two rounds off before the enemy is on top of you
Well, yes. You're not supposed to be standing still when fighting. Count your shots, evaluate the distance between you and the enemy and know when to disengage and relocate. If maneuverability is restricted and stopping power is necessary, use the shotgun at close range.
It's been a while since I played it, but the combat in the original seemed to always give you enough ammo to deal with every enemy*, so long as you were careful with it, and also generally allowed you to stand your ground a lot more as the regular pistol had a lot more stopping power. The combat in remake seems more along the line of Resi 4 in terms of having to constantly move, but with both a much more limited viewpoint and more fiddly controls, which I'm not super keen on, tbh. I've also only found 12 shotgun shells in the entire game so far, which all went in no time.

I'm honestly not sure I like the crimson head mechanic - it adds another strain onto the already frustrating inventory management mechanic with having to juggle the lighter and kerosene on top of everything else.

*the scarcity of ammo when playing with Chris was why I never played as him - I found constantly having to dodge zombies too stressful to be fun.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Enter the Gungeon is £5.49, sale ends today... As someone who spent a lot of time with Binding of Isaac (a game I'll always go back to), do I need this?? It looks like it combines my love of Isaac and new obsession with shmups. But is it different enough to Isaac...

Buying games on sale is TOO addictive and easy, it's starting to feel like an illness.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

While ostensibly similar, Gungeon really plays very differently to Isaac - and has completely its own vibe.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I loved Isaac but found Gungeon a bit too slow for me. They're very different
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 6th, 2019, 9:09 am While ostensibly similar, Gungeon really plays very differently to Isaac - and has completely its own vibe.
Do you like it? Recommend it?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I do like it. For a fiver you can’t go wrong.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Cheers. I'll probably agonise over it for a few more hours then buy it, I imagine. The pile of shame is getting silly.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

And then there's Guns, Gore and Caneloni (sp?) that seems on the surface quite similar - has anyone played that? Looks like it might be fun.

EDIT: Sorry, actually it doesn't look anything like it! GG&C looks more like a run and gun Metal Slug type game!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Cheers guys.

I've just watched some gameplay videos, it does look slower and more considered, and it kinda makes me want to play Isaac again rather than start something similar-ish. Plus it will probably end up in a sale again by the time I want to actually sit down and play it... Still a few more hours to procrastinate.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I fancied getting Isaac on the Switch but was a little put off by the price - I'll stick with the Vita version for now! I know it's not expensive when you think about how many hours I'd put in to it, but I just can't get past the illogical thoughts in my head!

EDIT: And I know it's vastly expanded from the Vita version. It's just the kind of game I'd want to own digitally, and £36 seems a bit of a stretch. But then again, I got my Vita version for free on PS+ so I'm quite aware I'm just being a dick about it!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

£25 physical https://www.amazon.co.uk/Binding-Isaac- ... th=1&psc=1

I had this game for many years on multiple formats, only actually getting into it when I bought a Switch version for some unknown reason! Love it.