The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KissMammal

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by KissMammal »

Chris Pratt strikes me as an odd casting choice for Mario... But then again a Mario movie isn't an especially great idea in the first place. Part of me was wondering if they'd try and have Mario be a non-speaking* protagonist, but that would have admittedly been very tricky to do.

I'm really not a fan of the Illumination films so it's not something I'd be interested in seeing in any case.

*Other than the requisite 'Wahoo!' type utterances.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I can't say I'm particularly excited about N64 or Megadrive games coming to Switch Online. N64 is a console I've never had any particular love for, didn't own one at the time and the games haven't aged well. The Megadrive games I've bought collections of half a dozen times, and not so interested in playing them. If the price hike isn't extortionate I might pay up to play Paper Mario and Mario Golf when they're eventually released (seriously, charging extra for 9 games at launch seems stingy) but I'm just disappointed there's no GB or GBA games. They'd have been my preference, and a more logical choice.

Still, can't please everyone. I've seen a lot of people buzzing about it online, so pleased N64 is finally coming after so many people wanted it.

Look forward to playing the Monster Hunter DLC when it comes out next year, and keeping my fingers crossed the Covid related delays are slowly becoming less of an issue and Nintendo surprise us by showing a lot more love to their online service, because I only really keep it going so the kids can play Mario Maker levels at this point! (And an occasional multiplayer hunt on MH:R).
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Yeah, I personally would have much preferred Game Boy and GBA titles. The GBA in particular is a treasure trove of games that aren't widely available outside of emulation.

Though I have a huge amount of nostalgia for the N64, I can't say I'm eager to revisit many of the games. I already have Mario 64 on the All Stars collection and I can't see myself wanting to revisit the original Star Fox 64 when I have the 3DS remake, and charging more for the privilege is a particularly Nintendo move. As above, Paper Mario is the only title that would tempt me to upgrade. $50 a pop for the controllers is also a bit rich.

Bayonetta 3 being the big 'one more thing' was a bit disappointing. Genuinely can't stand that series from an aesthetic pov.

Pretty much nothing much else in the Direct of much interest to me personally (outside of Metroid, which I muted as I have avoided all the marketing since the first tease), but they certainly had a lot of varied stuff to show so I'm sure a lot of people are happy. Triangle Strategy looks nice, but I have a bad track record with those type of games, so I'm unsure if I'll buy.

It seems insane to me that there still aren't Switch ports of Final Fantasy 1-6 and Castlevania SOTN.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Yoko Taro's new card-based RPG looks cool, and weird, I'm pretty excited to give the demo a try.
KissMammal wrote: September 24th, 2021, 5:52 pm It seems insane to me that there still aren't Switch ports of Final Fantasy 1-6 and Castlevania SOTN.
I still can't believe the pixel remasters are PC-only. For all that they kinda look like lazy cash-grabs, you'd think they'd at least try to grab some console cash, these are not the types of games that are difficult to port... Once VI comes out, I expect we'll see a bundle of some kind on consoles.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

What I'd really like would be a remake of VI made with the Octopath/Triangle Strategy 2.5d engine...
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

KissMammal wrote: September 24th, 2021, 7:39 pm What I'd really like would be a remake of VI made with the Octopath/Triangle Strategy 2.5d engine...
Maybe if the Dragon Quest III 2.5D remake does *really* well...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The Kingdom Hearts games have been announced for Switch!

...as cloud versions.

No. Fuck off, mate. You're taking the piss.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

1.5, 2.5, and 2.8 were all PS3 games originally, there's no way they wouldn't have run natively on Switch. I really don't understand. On the other hand, maybe they'll stream better because of that?
chase210

Post by chase210 »

The Switch OLED has an amazing screen, i love it.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Nintendo has confirmed on twitter N64 games on Switch online will be 60hz, with selection games offering a 50hz option! Hurray.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes, great news; Essentially if you want/need to play a game in one of its supported European languages you can play the old PAL version, English speakers get the US ROM, effectively.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

chase210 wrote: October 8th, 2021, 6:40 pm The Switch OLED has an amazing screen, i love it.
I hear this a lot!
Struggling to justify £310 though, especially as I play 95% docked!
:D
chase210

Post by chase210 »

ratsoalbion wrote: October 11th, 2021, 2:51 pm
chase210 wrote: October 8th, 2021, 6:40 pm The Switch OLED has an amazing screen, i love it.
I hear this a lot!
Struggling to justify £310 though, especially as I play 95% docked!
If you can find someone with student discount (I’d be happy to give you a code) you can get it 10% off My Nintendo Store. Though if you play docked you might not get the best out of it, but its really lovely.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

I might play it handheld more if I had an OLED...
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Being late on gaming news as usual I just seen that the next Kirby game is going to be a proper 3D platformer. Finally, this was proper overdue and I loved what little I seen in the trailer. Always slightly annoyed me that Mario was the only one of the platformer series that gets any love in the third dimension so glad that after 30 years, Kirby can have a pop at it. Also the post apocalyptic setting was a surprising theme for this 3D debut but since I am a huge fan of both Nier Automata and Horizon: Zero Dawn I can't say I'm complaining! Every day, the Switch becomes more and more tempting....maybe when I am in full employment again, I might finally buy one. It has a more than adequate library now to justify the purchase!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

So the Nintendo Online tier including mega drive and N64 and the animal crossing DLC comes in at £35 a year, which is what, double? People seem to be very cross about it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

£3 a month seems fine to me, but people always cross.
Megadirt

Post by Megadirt »

Though it is nearly double, it is also less than PS Plus, and equates to almost any other streaming service of music or movies. I am happy to pay 35 a year just to have all those games at the drop of a red hat. The fact that it's a tier is great, I feel like allowing you to keep the traditional tier if that's all you need is so much better than forcing everyone to upgrade. Also as I am approaching the Mario and Zelda section of my "Play Along with Cane And Rinse From the Beginning" quest, this has actually saved me a lot of money/time dicking about with jailbreaks.
Kasuga-san

Post by Kasuga-san »

I'm not too keen on the price. If I was an Animal Crossing fan it'd be a no brainer, but since I'm not it feels like a bit much for the couple N64 games I'm interested in. I already have the Genesis Classics collection and some of the other collections with other games from that list, so almost none of those games are an added value for me. It would be different if Nintendo was providing a solid online service in line with Microsoft and Sony. If they do a good value add I'm interested in, I'll get it. Right now it's a no.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

I don't really play anything online these days but I'll probably get a year of that just to pootle around in Ocarina or whatever. I suspect I'll get into Splatoon 3 when it comes.