The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79 »

Woohoo! Just watched this with the kids and they're beyond excited. They love Galaxy, never played Sunshine and played a bit of 64. They are also desperate to play 3D World. I'll be getting those as soon as I can. Nice to get All Stars on Switch Online, and the Mario Bros 35 player battle looks nice (but why is it limited time? FFS Nintendo!)

Overall, really pleased with all these.

That Mario Kart Live thing looks great if you have the space, which we do not!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

chase210 wrote: September 3rd, 2020, 4:48 pm I wouldn’t wait for a sale if I was you, since Nintendo have made the interesting decision to make this a limited time product, even the digital version.
What I got from the video was the digital version is limited time, they specifically said that, but didn't mention the physical release. Do you think its getting a physical release? (I'm talking about 3D All Stars).

EDIT: It is getting a physical. Whether that's limited also or not remains to be seen. I just....though...I mean... Why? Why make it limited? They have such a bizarre attitude to business.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Alex79uk wrote: September 3rd, 2020, 5:00 pm
chase210 wrote: September 3rd, 2020, 4:48 pm I wouldn’t wait for a sale if I was you, since Nintendo have made the interesting decision to make this a limited time product, even the digital version.
What I got from the video was the digital version is limited time, they specifically said that, but didn't mention the physical release. Do you think its getting a physical release? (I'm talking about 3D All Stars).

EDIT: It is getting a physical. Whether that's limited also or not remains to be seen. I just....though...I mean... Why? Why make it limited? They have such a bizarre attitude to business.
According to their own product page

Please note: Super Mario 3D All-Stars can only be purchased until March 31st 2021. Owners can still play its entire contents after this date has passed, and can also redownload it from Nintendo eShop if the software has been archived

And the physical version is also limited, and it’s now up for pre order on amazon!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Honestly though, making it limited is a joke. The years people have been waiting for this, then to decide to release it for what, six months then it's gone? Just utterly bizarre. I'll definitely be trying to get a physical copy, it'll be worth a fortune in 20 years!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

One theory is that once the All-Stars pack is delisted they'll make the constituent parts available separately, along with Galaxy 2.

I'll admit, it does seem like a peculiar strategy, however, given that Nintendo is currently the richest company in Japan, I feel it's a bit rich of someone with my extremely mediocre business acumen to suggest that they don't know what they're doing...

I think perhaps the point is that almost everyone who is interested will buy it day one, and those who are interested but who don't already have a Switch, well, this might light a fire under their asses in terms of getting hold of one...
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Well it worked for me, I’m well in there.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I know I'm clutching at straws here, but the fact Mario 64 will now be on sale does give me the idea that the next lot of games available via the Switch Online service (if indeed they are considering another lot of games - which I'm not entirely convinced they are) might be more likely to now be the Gameboy or GBA rather than N64. My logic is they won't release an N64 pack without Mario 64, and they wouldn't release Mario 64 for 'free' when it's for sale.

I admit it's a bit of a leap, but I would love GB/GBA games on Switch, so that's where I'm leaping!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Or perhaps Nintendo are just crackers:

https://kotaku.com/nintendos-new-mario- ... nFdEIPhzOM
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah, interesting read, and difficult to disagree with. I can only assume the sole reason for this is to entice consumers to purchase sooner rather than later, but then to punish people who aren't able to buy it within that time frame or people who buy a Switch for the first time after March next year isn't really excusable in my opinion. Unless of course they do release them individually at a later date.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I’ve just preordered my first Game & Watch since 1982! It’s available on the Nintendo UK site. They’re also taking preorders for the physical game (which I also succumbed to) and registrations of interest for other upcoming Mario tat.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

That Game and Watch thing is a really nice collectable isn't it. I wonder if you'll be able to sideload more NES roms on to it, that would be pretty cool.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Super Mario Sunshine looking fantastic upscaled.

I'm still not over the moon about the price and the limited availibility period, but I can't not get this...
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The whole presentation reignited the desire to play all Mario games again and i'm very happy with the triple pack and despite it's only a name, calling it All Stars really fanned the flames of nostalgia.

It's 3 games (I think Galaxy 2 will be a surprise unlock in there) for what can be found for about 40 quid. SM64 is a classic, as is Galaxy and Sunshine is better than most of the turd 3d platformers of that era. The rumours going about for AGES really inflated expectations with the news headlines being all "Remasters of all games" being used time and time again and even when Odysee did its cool nostalgia trip of its own rendered with fantastic new graphics it was a bit of a missed opportunity, however... Nintendo was never gonna please everyone.

If it was 3 remakes they would be 50 quid each, it would've been a nightmare.
It is 3 enhanced ports for a lot less money and I know for sure that parents, come christmas, are going to appreciate its price!!

Would I like Sunshine to be buffed and polished? Sure but am I gonna complain about this barrage of Mario coming my way? Definitely not.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I’m really pleased I’ll get to play 64 and Sunshine for the first time. Would love a Galaxy 2 unlock in there but can’t see it being the case, unless it’s reasonably easy to unlock.
I do understand some of the complaints about them not being totally remastered from the ground up to bring them all to Odyssey quality graphics, they could’ve probably got away with charging £40 each if they did that, though I’m not sure what I would prefer, paying £120 for all 3 fully remastered over a year or two, or all of them in this one package with a bit of spit and polish.

Something I haven’t seen anyone say about Super Mario 3D World. So it’s a re release and has some added content for £50. How is that different to what Control is doing with its next gen edition? The base game and extra Alan Wake DLC for £30?
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

I would have liked wide-screen 1080p for 64 but I'm glad they've otherwise only touched these up. I've never really got on with the original All Stars, because I feel no affection for the remade graphics. Give me the originals all day. It's the same reason why after modding Skyrim relentlessly to try to create the most beautiful version I could, I went back to vanilla and realised that was the most evocative and atmospheric; it's Skyrim, warts and all. I've not really played very much of anything for a few weeks but I'm really happy to play all three of these again - not least because I've never actually completed 64 or Sunshine.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Thought I was going to be all over this, but as an owner of Mario Galaxy & Mario 64 elsewhere, I'm not paying £50 for a basically untouched Mario Sunshine which I played to death on Gamecube anyway. Great for newcomers, but it's a shame it doesn't include Mario Galaxy 2. I suspect that will follow later at further cost, and they'll end up selling the games separately after this deadline in March 2021.

Nintendo have marketed this one perfectly. What initially seemed to be baffling with the limited availability has drummed up so much hype for 3 very old games at little cost to Nintendo development wise to the point where it's already outsold The Last of Us 2 on Amazon :lol: :lol: :lol:

These guys are geniuses.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I could perhaps understand the limited availability of the physical version, but not the digital one. Surely they would make more money making the digital one permanently available, unless they plan to make them available again further down the line for a limited period. Otherwise what happens if someone wants to play these games but buys a Switch after they've been removed from the eshop.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Surely they're just going to sell them separately after that date, or something more exciting? They're not going to leave money on the table.

I have to be honest, I don't personally give a shit, in any case. I'll be buying it on the 17th off the Japanese eShop. Nintendo can do what they they like.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Marlew wrote: September 7th, 2020, 8:03 pm Surely they're just going to sell them separately after that date, or something more exciting? They're not going to leave money on the table.

I have to be honest, I don't personally give a shit, in any case. I'll be buying it on the 17th off the Japanese eShop. Nintendo can do what they they like.
Question for you Marlew (and any other Switch owners out there that use other region's eShops) - how are you funding your purchases on these stores?

The process of actually accessing other eShops is simple (I've just done it to get at the US store as they've got some good deals on at the moment), but you can't pay with a UK credit card, and I understand that if I use my Paypal account you get hit with lots of foreign transaction fees. Buying eShop credit for that specific region seems to be what a lot people do, but everywhere I've looked at doing this the sites seem dodgy as hell!

Any advice or recommendations of reliable sources of eShop credit would be greatly appreciated!
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: September 8th, 2020, 10:31 amQuestion for you Marlew (and any other Switch owners out there that use other region's eShops) - how are you funding your purchases on these stores?
Play Asia is legit. I never really buy from any other 'foreign' eShops now besides Japan, the US one almost never has any alternate early releases like back in the early days. Japan quite often has stuff which comes out months before the EU eShop, if it ever appears.

My main account is set to South Africa because it's probably 10-25% cheaper than the UK eShop for almost everything. I've saved several hundred pounds over the years. A few people scolded me for this but I'm not arsed.