The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79 »

That's what I'm saying - you can use wireless headphones!
Suits

Post by Suits »

I don't need it, have two of the wonderful 8BitDo pads and play my SNES games handheld - but I had to get one.

Not sure if people were aware of the situation surrounding getting one of these ether, but long short the website crashed and it all went downhill.

I thought I'd missed my chance but I got one in the end.

£23.99 it was, but £8.70 postage - WTF !!!!

It's essentially just a Bluetooth SNES pad really but interestingly it has the ZL & ZR buttons also, which makes it an odd little curiosity.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Very nice!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Looks good. How is it to use? Buttons nice and clicky? Does it feel pretty solid?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: October 14th, 2019, 8:51 pm Looks good. How is it to use? Buttons nice and clicky? Does it feel pretty solid?
Yeah, it’s lovely. Feels quality, better than the 8BitDo’s.

Pretty much the same as the Wii one really but heavier as it has a battery and more gubbins.

It also has the Switch controller lights and sync button on the bottom edge, as well as a USB C charge point at the top where the wire would be with two small ZL & ZR buttons either side,
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Anyone got Overwatch on Switch?

Seems really good! Took a gamble on it, not my usual sort of game at all. Some reviews saying performance was iffy, I've experienced literally none of that stuff and have been really impressed. It seems immensely well developed and realised to me. Controls very well, had a fun couple of hours. I will play intermittently amongst other games no doubt, shout if anyone else here plays and we can hook up maybe.

I should add I have absolutely zero clue what is going on, and I'm not letting that worry me, it'll sink in. I like the non-serious feel and satisfying gunplay / progression without feeling like I need to commit like say a Destiny - a game I simply couldn't keep up with anymore if I tried.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think most of the performance complaints are because it’s locked to 60fps on the other consoles.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

But is it better than Paladins?
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Flabyo wrote: October 18th, 2019, 5:48 pm I think most of the performance complaints are because it’s locked to 60fps on the other consoles.
Ah yes I’ve seen that flabyo but it’s not what I’m on about, multiple reviews talk about various lag issues and network performance stuff, none of which have been a factor in my games. And I’m on WiFi which one review said was virtually unplayable. I wonder if they were done before the day 1 patch. 30fps stuff I was aware of, I have a PS4 but happy to drop fps to have it on Switch tbh.

@thirdman funnily enough I just got “play of the game” during Junkenstein’s Revenge, and someone gave me a “Good Teammate” endorsement. I’ll have that on my gravestone I reckon. Good teammate :D
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Haha!

Still haven’t got a clue what I’m doing, but slowly getting there. Just had my first go as a medic type and it is interesting trying out different classes, this is all quite new to me.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Something has happened to my right joycon. It can now slide off without pressing the little release button in. I'm so careful with it, it goes in a case every time I'm not using it, and I hardly ever even slide the Joycons off since I always play in handheld mode. :(
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ThirdMan wrote: October 18th, 2019, 10:57 pm
Alex79uk wrote: October 18th, 2019, 9:10 pm But is it better than Paladins?
Played my first round of Paladin's yesterday. I absolutely dominated the game. Constantly winning ground. 16 kills without dying even once. Then I was awarded play of the round.

Nothing like that has ever happened to me in Overwatch. I am useless at these types of games. I was so suspicious I actually turned it off.
Same here. The first few matches of Paladins are against bots FYI. :lol:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: October 19th, 2019, 10:50 am Junkrat (the crazy australian with the grenade launcher), Lucio (The black healer guy with the dreads and the rollerskates)and Zarya (The big muscly russian woman) were my favourites if you're looking for some guys to try.
They're also some of the most complex and difficult characters to play effectively, especially Zarya. Nobody is going to pick her up and know what to do right off the bat while playing with a team of uncoordinated randos.

If anybody is looking for simple, easy to understand Overwatch Heroes to ease them into the various roles, I would recommend Soldier: 76 or Reaper for Assault, Reinhardt or Winston for Tank, and Mercy for Support.

Overwatch is an absolutely brilliant game for both casual and uber-dedicated hardcore play. Dunno about the Switch version, but it's always nice to hear people get into it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: October 19th, 2019, 11:12 am
KSubzero1000 wrote: October 19th, 2019, 11:03 amThey're also some of the most complex and difficult characters to play effectively
Oh, are they? I think junkrat and lucio are good because you don't have to be worrying too much about your aim being precise. I think they're good starter characters.
Well, yes and no. They're not too aim-intensive, you're correct on that. But Junkrat's Concussion Mine is a lot more complicated than it looks like at first glance. Same with Lucio's wall-running. You basically need in-depth knowledge of all the maps to elevate it from a simple gimmick. Both of their Ultimate require proper teamwork to use effectively as well.

clippa wrote: October 19th, 2019, 11:12 am I suppose soldier 76 was built for the cod crowd, you're going to feel right at home if you've ever played an fps.
Yeah, I think that's his intended purpose, quite frankly. I'll also throw in Pharah in the easy-to-pick-up Assault category once you're feeling a bit more adventurous. :P

clippa wrote: October 19th, 2019, 11:12 am This must play like an entirely different game on console. So has it gone totally free to play now?
Yeah, the console meta is rather different than the PC meta. Or at least it was when I was playing the game intensively a few years ago on PS4. But it's perfectly playable!

PS: It wasn't free-to-play at the time.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Overwatch isn’t free to play, doubt it ever will be. They might drop the lootboxes for a more straightforward ‘buy skins with winnings’ at some point though, or maybe go the battle pass route.

I play a lot of Junkrat when I do play DPS, but most of the time in ranked I’m playing tank (dva for the most part, although I’m playing more Roadhog these days cause of all the double shield setups), or support (Moira all the way, I’ve never been able to get the hang of where I’m supposed to be when I play Mercy)

I like that there are heroes for pretty much any play style. The 360 no scope headshot brigade have Widowmaker and Ashe. Those of us that can’t hit scan for toffee have the Rat and Pharah, and so on.

Console meta tends to put a little more emphasis on the turret heroes because you can’t track quite as fast as you can with a mouse and keyboard, but the game is not that different.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Thanks for the hero tips folks, will try them out. I definitely favour Soldier 76 which I guess is no surprise given this is my first “hero shooter”.

It’s £35 on the eshop but £18.99 on cdkeys right now if anyone is interested.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

hazeredmist wrote: October 19th, 2019, 7:13 pm Thanks for the hero tips folks, will try them out. I definitely favour Soldier 76 which I guess is no surprise given this is my first “hero shooter”.

It’s £35 on the eshop but £18.99 on cdkeys right now if anyone is interested.
Nice one, cheers! 35 quid was a bit much considering I own it on two other formats and barely bothered with it but I really enjoyed Paladins for twenty hours or something. Probably time to give this a go.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Woo! Please let me know if you pull(ed) the trigger. It would be great to group up if we are online at the same time etc :)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Blizzard don’t seem keen on doing cross play at the moment for it, which is a bit of a shame.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Suits wrote: September 24th, 2019, 7:10 pm So, (as many I'm certain) I'm currently playing through SMW on the Switch SNES app.

And well as saving the game when prompted I'm also using see states between castles and ghost houses because it's just nicer that way and I don't have anything to prove.

Now, I'm probably not the only one who's made this mistake but today as I was showing off the Switch Lite in work to a few colleagues, I loaded up SMW to show off the new d-pad, in my haste, - I saved, instead of loaded.

So, I saved the games splash screen, over, my actual save game. Great.

I pondered for a moment, then realised that as my Switch was in work with me and not set up on the WiFi, my cloud save hadn't yet uploaded, (also worth noting that cloud saves only sync when the console is put into sleep mode) so I was able to pull down my original cloud save back onto my Switch and overwrite the one I'd just made, thus making good in the world again.

Handy to know if anyone makes a similar mistake perhaps.
This came in handy today! I'd just finished a dungeon in Zelda ALTTP and through some absent minded button pressing managed to not only reset the game, but save over my save immediately after! My other saves were from two days ago which meant hours and hours of progress lost. Fortunately I remembered your tip and only lost an hours play (which I did in around 15 minutes seeing as I already knew how to do the dungeon this time around!)