The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I just wanted to quickly share a bit of very specific advice. It's the sort that some already know, but hey, maybe not.

As you know, when you buy a physical version of a Switch game, you can redeem bonus Nintendo points. What you may, or may not know (depending on whether you've set up a Japanese eShop account), is that you can you have the option to allocate those points to either your default account, or an account for another region.

This, in and of itself, is not mind blowing stuff, but if you're anything like me and have credit left over from previous Japanese eShop cards, combined with that, it may nudge your credit a little more north, allowing you to buy something a little better.

Case in point: I had a little north of ¥500 on my account, and after redeeming points from two physical titles (plus points from previous Japanese purchases) I pick up Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. Now I've got a decent title, and I got my credit down to ¥8. Not exactly zero, but I got more for my money.

Again, super specific advice. Combining points with eShop cards (which are either ¥1000, ¥3000, ¥5000 or ¥9000 amounts) might save you a little bit of money.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 11PM.

15 minutes of Mario Maker 2 information.

My body is ready 😬.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Nice one. I'll be having some of that.
Suits

Post by Suits »

That Switch Mario Maker stylus pen is a global pre-order bonus now.

Which is nice.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Well, that was very... Nintendo. :P
Suits

Post by Suits »

Personally that didn’t quite hit a lot of the questions I had about Mario Maker 2.

Things like friend interaction, the building of the courses in docked mode and no hint at over-world building.

Although there was a lot of info on what seems to be a massive increase in assets, options and level tools.

Story mode sounds fun and if it’s anything like the stuff they put into the 3DS version then we’re in for a treat.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The docked building was hinted at with 2 players using joycons but still needed more clarity
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Is there any clarification about what you'd have access to if you don't have Nintendo Online? Is the game just useless without it?
Craig

Post by Craig »

NoJ put this video up which confirms building while in docked mode. (They’re a series of videos of various games with Arino from GameCenter CX and his comedy partner.)

Suits

Post by Suits »

Cheers for sharing that Craig, that the first time I've seen on screen building like that on the controller.

It looks like its nice and natural to control, I feel like cursor speed and feel will be critical to how good docked building is - as it can't be annoying and fiddly.

hazeredmist wrote: May 16th, 2019, 10:22 am Is there any clarification about what you'd have access to if you don't have Nintendo Online? Is the game just useless without it?
There's the story mode and I'm pretty certain that you'll be able to create and play local levels, you just won't be able upload them or download any.

This game makes Nintendo Online essential in my opinion.

With the guest courses that Nintendo release, Championship courses, the best rated and friends level it's a massive part of this game.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

I suspect the answer is no, but with co-op stage development, I wonder if it will be possible to upload stages that can only be cleared by more than one player. I can imagine some really interesting potential co-op stages.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Hey, Mario Maker without Online is just like the 3DS version!
Toon Scottoon

Post by Toon Scottoon »

Suits wrote: May 16th, 2019, 8:50 am and no hint at over-world building.

I hope they either include this, or at least a playlist system. How cool would it be to ostensibly have a Cane and Rinse community made Mario game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Played my Switch for the first time in docked mode last night. Only tried Pinball FX3 and Zelda. Being completely honest, I was surprised how Zelda looked. Lots of jaggies and not really all that great. Of course the art and the game blow all that away in seconds and it doesn't matter at all, but I was genuinely a little surprised at how it looked. Loving the game, though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I play my Switch docked 99% of the time. Most games run at 1080p and look pretty great to me.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone used the official wired pads? Looking at getting one but noticed they don't have rumble or motion control. Just wondered if anyone uses one, or whether this matters much?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: May 18th, 2019, 8:15 am I play my Switch docked 99% of the time. Most games run at 1080p and look pretty great to me.
Yeah they do look good, just thought Zelda looked a bit jaggy in places but may be my TV settings. I realised I had sharpness whacked up far too high earlier and haven't checked it since rectifying. Pinball FX3 was indistinguishable from the PS4 version, to me.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: May 18th, 2019, 3:17 pm Anyone used the official wired pads? Looking at getting one but noticed they don't have rumble or motion control. Just wondered if anyone uses one, or whether this matters much?
Not totally associated to this question but do you have a pro-controller yet Alex ??

It’s an excellent peripheral, probably my favourite of the current generation.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Zelda is gorgeous from an artistic POV but it's noticeably lower res than the other top tier Switch games. Throw on Smash Bros Ultimate, MK8D, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Tropical Freeze and they look phenomenal on the telly. In contrast, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks like you're playing on the 3DS.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Suits wrote: May 18th, 2019, 3:27 pm
Alex79uk wrote: May 18th, 2019, 3:17 pm Anyone used the official wired pads? Looking at getting one but noticed they don't have rumble or motion control. Just wondered if anyone uses one, or whether this matters much?
Not totally associated to this question but do you have a pro-controller yet Alex ??

It’s an excellent peripheral, probably my favourite of the current generation.
No, can't really stretch that far. My eldest has an unofficial wireless one he swears is better than the official one, haha (I'm sure it's not).