The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KissMammal

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by KissMammal »

I got one of those Satisfye grips for my Switch. It allows you to slot your existing joy cons into a larger, more conventional controller sized plastic handgrip and also comes with little rubber hats for the sticks that vastly increase their size and level of grip.

Was very skeptical at first, but it has really impressed me and I use it all the time. It's virtually a must for playing FPS games like Doom Eternal in handheld - before I got the Satisfye I had to play with a Pro controller with the Switch in tablet mode on a stand.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

I think the Satisfye is 10/10 for comfort but 7/10 for buttons, sticks and triggers because of the limitations of the Joycons.

The Hori Split Pad Pro is 8/10 for comfort because the grips aren't quite as deep for my fat hands but an easy 10/10 for buttons, sticks and triggers.

Satisfye is excellent, it was permanently attached, and then I got the Hori SPP.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

My eldest come over and I picked him up and he brought his 3DS out with him. He's not touched it in years and I asked how come he'd got it. He said, "I hacked it!" then proceeded to show me all these emulators he'd put on it. I was like, "You hacked it by yourself?" and he said yeah, and then told me he'd been mainly playing NES Super Mario Bros. as he'd decided to try to learn how to speed run it, but was also playing Zelda:ALTTP. This from a kid who played nothing but Fortnite and CoD Warzone for the last year...

Never been prouder :lol:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Wow!
Kal_Luke

Post by Kal_Luke »

Wow that’s great. I want hack my 3DS too. He’ll have to put a video on Youtube
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Kal_Luke wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 9:22 am Wow that’s great. I want hack my 3DS too. He’ll have to put a video on Youtube
That's what he did, just followed a guide on YouTube :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Fuser is the latest game to get the '7 day trial' treatment on the eShop.

Really loved the demo of this, but didn't fancy buying the full game when it was released. I think its dropped in price a bit now, but this week trial may well give me everything I want from the game. If you've not tried it, it really is fantastic fun if you've any interest in mixing music and pretending to be a DJ. Worked really well, and I had an absolute blast with the demo, dropping in the vocals from Rage Against The Machine's Killing In The Name over electro and funk beats.

Worth a look, anyway! (Trial begins 29/06, but you can pre-load now).

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 49055.html#
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

I feel like my skepticism has been vindicated:

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/oled-model/
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Yeah, underwhelmed by this. I do like an OLED screen but it needed more power for me to consider upgrading.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Seems odd, but then I guess it's just a slight upgrade to replace the current model. It's not a 'pro', and I wonder if this means the Pro version just doesn't exist.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

If Nintendo's first-party games this gen had run with rock solid performance, I wouldn't be bothered by this pointless revision. As it is, from day one, the system has been hampered by the hardware, both in terms of frame rates and resolution and the physical deficiencies of the Joycons and the Bluetooth signal. It's mad looking back that even BotW couldn't run consistently on the 'next-gen' Nintendo console.

They continue to sell an absolute shitload and I'm certainly not predicting their downfall, only highlighting that their quality control and performance expectations have dropped significantly this gen. Many of my favourite titles are spectacular, ARMS, Splatoon 2, MK8D, Odyssey, but there are plenty now which fall considerably short of my experience with Nintendo over the years. This announcement does nothing besides reaffirm how little mutual interest we have at this point. It's my shmup backup system.

I would rather not have BotW2 and MP4 until the next console.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

So it's going to retail at £310, that's £30 more than the current model. It's not even a like for like swap whilst they phase out the original model. That seems...bizarre. So presumably either both models will remain in production, or Nintendo are just saying "yeah, Switch is £310 now".

Baffling.

EDIT: Hmm, so it's got a 0.8" larger screen and 64gb built in memory, but still, not quite the pro model people were hoping for I suppose. Personally, it doesn't really bother me as I wouldn't be looking to upgrade for a while yet, but I can see why anyone looking for a 4k beefier machine feel disappointed.

EDIT 2: Although I will say, having used my Switch a lot more over the last few months, the battery life is one thing I'd be most interested in upgrading for. I barely get 2.5 hours of BOTW.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Honestly, the screen is the only part of this upgrade that doesn't seem like something they could have just added to the base model in a revision, like they did with the improved battery life a few years ago. Maybe the memory upgrade, but SD cards are so cheap these days, I doubt that's going to excite anyone very much.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I think the screen size upgrade is one of those things that will be surprisingly substantial when you actually have the thing in your hands, and the build quality looks quite a bit neater overall, but yeah, it's not enough as a package to make me want to upgrade.

In retrospect, a significant hardware upgrade (thereby potentially splitting their audience) wouldn't really make a whole lot of sense, and also, for purely selfish reasons, I literally just invested in a 1080p projector, so now I don't have a nagging reason to upgrade to a 4k one any time soon :lol:
Kal_Luke

Post by Kal_Luke »

I was pleased to see that there wasn’t a CPU or RAM upgrade as I was worried it might mean an upgrade would be necessary for BoTW sequel.

I understand from what I’ve read that the current Switch can benefit from the improved dock.

I love the Switch switch so much. I installed Android on it the other day and it’s such a complete gaming system. As tests I played Half Life 2 and Cyberpunk on GeForce Now, Halo and GTA5 on gamepass streaming and bought a PS remote play app for improved PS4 remote play. With Binbok joycons at the side it was a really great handheld experience. With GeForce now I was amused to have max graphics and ray tracing on a handheld- what a system. Shame it requires some poking around to get it all.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Kal_Luke wrote: July 7th, 2021, 9:54 am I was pleased to see that there wasn’t a CPU or RAM upgrade as I was worried it might mean an upgrade would be necessary for BoTW sequel.

I understand from what I’ve read that the current Switch can benefit from the improved dock.

I love the Switch switch so much. I installed Android on it the other day and it’s such a complete gaming system. As tests I played Half Life 2 and Cyberpunk on GeForce Now, Halo and GTA5 on gamepass streaming and bought a PS remote play app for improved PS4 remote play. With Binbok joycons at the side it was a really great handheld experience. With GeForce now I was amused to have max graphics and ray tracing on a handheld- what a system. Shame it requires some poking around to get it all.
I didn't know you could do all that on it, I would be really interested to try out GeForce Now on it. Could you DM me a link to how do do this?
Kal_Luke

Post by Kal_Luke »

It requires that Android be installed on the Switch which can only be done on a V1 switch.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Ah right, I have the Mario special edition one released last year. I would consider getting a V1 one to do the stuff you have done but I guess it's going to be difficult to find a V1 Switch, even pre owned as a guess most sellers wouldn't know unless it was a launch one.
Kal_Luke

Post by Kal_Luke »

I bought mine from EBay this year and got it for £250 with Botw, smash and Mario kart 8. I believe the Red Mario ones are V2 so you wouldn’t be able to do it. Usually on EBay it says if they are V1 or 2 and I imagine you can ask the seller for the serial number which is an indicator.
In terms of emulation a the switch is okay but Dolphin runs quite badly. There are probably better android devices but it’s the JoyCons that are the deal maker (although I use Binbok third party joycons which are great)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm yeah I've not fancied hacking my Switch just yet, but will definitely do it at some point. From what I've read any sold before July 2018 are hackable. After that, it's possible, but you have to be on 4.something firmware, which is unlikely as most people keep them up to date. I'll give it another couple of years I think.