The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Suits »

Ah, good stuff dude.

Yeah, good little option that if you ever get yourself in a tangle isn’t it 👍🏽.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

My day one Joycon have finally succumbed to the dreaded drift, both up and down! I've got another set at home but unfortunately I'm on day three of my hols and bought half a dozen new games for the trip.

First time in my life I ever genuinely hate Nintendo.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

clippa wrote: October 31st, 2019, 10:22 am "Oh, it's fine, we'll get in my car now and I'll take you to your hotel and I'll wait by the car with this revolver while you get your money from your hotel room"
I still can't remember how I managed to get out of there.
Haha, I know that feeling. I once got trapped in some souk in Marrakesh with about ten unwanted bracelets on my wrist and a rug over my shoulder and a gang of Moroccans hustling me to the ATM. I managed to get the cunts out onto the main square and said OK OK OK I just needed to exchange my currency at the hotel. Went in, cried to the concierge and waited them out with a pot of mint tea. Little did they know it wasn't even my hotel, the mugs.

There is nowhere to buy Joycon without going back to the airport, sadly.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone here picked up Witcher 3 on Switch? I'm definitely looking forward to playing it at some point, but James was disappointingly down on it on this week's TCGS. I've watched a fair amount of footage on YouTube though, and I dont think it looks too bad at all. Just wondered if anyone here had spent any time with it. I've played the game before on PS4 and loved it, so it wouldn't be my first time though it, and I totally get this wouldn't be the optimal way to enjoy the game, but the portability outweighs pretty much anything other than total unplayabilty (Borderlands 2 for example on Vita dipped to single figure frame rate for large parts of the game and I just gave up in the end as it was too much of a struggle).
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Alex79uk wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 10:03 pm Anyone here picked up Witcher 3 on Switch?
I think it's miraculous, personally. I'm not an enormous fan of the game but there are things that I really love about it, particularly wandering around soaking up the atmosphere. Playing this in bed in handheld is my favourite way of doing that now. It's brilliant. I've played a hundred hours on the PS4 and I own it on the One X which is by far the best looking version. I never really started the DLC, but I'll only ever play them on the Switch now. It sounds weird for such a good looking game but the atmosphere loses nothing at 720p or 540p or whatever compared to 4K. For context, I barely played more than a couple of hours of the Link's Awakening Remake because the performance is abysmal to me. Ruined it. Meanwhile, Witcher 3 on Switch is one of my favourite games of the year. Not listened to TCGS this week yet but I'm surprised. It's a bit muddy on the telly, there's some pop in you don't get elsewhere, it literally doesn't bother me. I remember James was down on Skyrim as well, which I also think is brilliant on the Switch.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah that's good to hear, thanks!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Alex79uk wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 10:03 pm Anyone here picked up Witcher 3 on Switch? I'm definitely looking forward to playing it at some point, but James was disappointingly down on it on this week's TCGS. I've watched a fair amount of footage on YouTube though, and I dont think it looks too bad at all. Just wondered if anyone here had spent any time with it. I've played the game before on PS4 and loved it, so it wouldn't be my first time though it, and I totally get this wouldn't be the optimal way to enjoy the game, but the portability outweighs pretty much anything other than total unplayabilty (Borderlands 2 for example on Vita dipped to single figure frame rate for large parts of the game and I just gave up in the end as it was too much of a struggle).
Agree with both Stanshall and James from TCGS weirdly. I've never played it before but I am floored by how gorgeous it looks handheld and the atmosphere it evokes. The sound, story, lighting and world are the best I've found myself lost in outside of BOTW. I've missed several train stops lately getting so caught up in some emotional side quests! Had a few small glitches (one characters face briefly vanished in a cut scene, had slow down in a few intro movies whilst it loads (load times are long post death) and have seen a few bits of armour inventory clipping through objects) but nothing huge.

I'm playing it largely in that mode though as, for only the second time (Rocket League being the other before the post release patch), it really is pretty ugly on a TV. Some areas are ok; caves, towns etc. But the fields and open plains look so rough and pixelated it utterly takes you out of the game. I'm someone is is more than happy to play rough looking indie games and has never owned a machine more powerful than a 360 or Switch, so I am pretty forgiving of this.

But as someone who largely plays games on the go now and wouldn't otherwise have the time to put 100 hours into a game, it suits me perfectly and I've made peace with just largely playing it handheld.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Perfect. My Switch is a 100% handheld device anyway (aside from when the kids are playing it, because there's no way I'm letting a 3 or 4 year old hold it!), so that's all good.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I started playing Luigi’s Mansion 3 last night, properly.

I’m a fan of the series in general, so it would have had to have been a totally different direction to the other two games – which both by themselves are considerably different in structure.

The actual game is just as I expected and I’m very much enjoying, so last night I played until I unlocked the multiplayer mode and jumped straight into that.

Multiplayer

The multiplayer on the second game was good fun, I really enjoyed it of what I played so was looking forward to the new game and its multiplayer modes.

The one I played was the cooperative mode called Scare Scraper which see’s you team up with four other players and clear a select number of floors of a haunted hotel.

The current options are a 5-floor building and a 15-floor building.

Each floor has a time limit of 5 minutes where you must explore the randomised floor and hunt down the number of ghosts that haunt the floor.

Through out the floor you’ll find power ups and money. The powerups are things like ultraviolet goggles, that show hidden items and hiding ghost, additional time, Poltaghust powerups and many others I’ve not seen yet.

Interestingly, the main game is same system co-op, but so is multiplayer it seems.

I mentioned earlier that it’s a four-player lobby in this mode but, if you’re playing Co-op, you can team up in the lobby on the same system, potentially making this mode 8 player.

Last night I created a lobby and soon had it fill with Rando’s, one of which was playing system co-op so we had a team of five.

As the round starts you split up and hunt down the ghosts on that floor, once you capture all the ghosts you go up a floor after being greeted by a round summary of score, cash collected, items found and other performance based stats.

As we all know, Nintendo’s multiplayer communication set-up is lacking at best, so to try and alleviate the massive void that this causes, you have basic communication options assigned to the d-pad, thigs like, over here, help and thanks.

Communication is massive as if you are all looking for the last ghost on an 18-room floor, once you find it, you can call out for help, signalling that you have found it.

Once you work your way up the number of selected floors without running out of time (where if you do, it’s a straight up re-start, no re-try) you will end up on the roof of the hotel and fight a boss.

Last night, was my first real attempt at it and on my third try we got to the roof, only to fail at the very last boss cycle.

It was great fun, very enjoyable.

Anyone fancy a Cane and Rinse ghost hunt ??
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Hmm, as someone who bounced off Luigi's Mansion 2 but always intended to go back, I'm interested... Maybe I could get this for Christmas if you can wait that long!! How does it compare to 2?
Suits

Post by Suits »

hazeredmist wrote: November 5th, 2019, 12:29 pm How does it compare to 2?
I’d say the minute to minute gameplay is more like 2, although the one setting, the one hotel, is more like the first game in that regard.

I’ve not gone far enough to say anymore than that at the moment though really.

It’s odd. There’s an awful lot more ‘stuff’ to search through and check. Making every room it’s own puzzle by itself, with then a larger puzzle based around the whole floor.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This does remind me I've never finished the first game, which I still own on Gamecube. It's not that long is it? Might see if I can bash through it in a couple of evenings. But there's so much else to play. I think I've resigned myself to the fact that even if no more games were ever released, I still wouldn't have time to play through everything I want to before I die. :cry:
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

hazeredmist wrote: November 5th, 2019, 12:29 pm Hmm, as someone who bounced off Luigi's Mansion 2 but always intended to go back, I'm interested... Maybe I could get this for Christmas if you can wait that long!! How does it compare to 2?
I'm in the same boat - I liked the overall gameplay of 2, but I really didn't get on with the mission based structure, and constantly getting pulled out of the game, so I eventually lost interest in it.

3 is much more conventional and allows you much more freedom with exploring one single location rather than the multiple locations of 2. I much, much prefer it to 2 - I would recommend you give it a go.

It's a delightful, incredibly polished and satisfying game to play - my only (slight) complaints so far is that the controls feel slightly off - I'd much rather the hoover have more of a twin stick control scheme rather than the odd, tank/rotational setup it has*, and also the game is incredibly easy. I'm guessing I'm 35-45% of the way through and haven't died or got stuck once so far.

I don't imagine I'll bother with the online or multiplayer aspect - it's just not my cup of tea.

*I often have to crane my finger round in a really inorganic way to both angle the hoover and fire the flash light charge for instance.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Dude, change the control settings in the menu for the Poltaghust whilst in use.

There’s two settings, the non-default setting is similar to the original GameCube/3DS style and is what I use - it’s miles better.

Also in that setting your torch is mapped to R and the plunger L (as well as the face buttons).
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

I had a similar experience with LM2, I tried again to get through it leading up to the release of 3, but going through the same rooms over and over got old quickly. I've really enjoyed what I've played of 3 so far though. Also, I find that aiming is much easier with the motion controls than with the stick.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Looking at possibly picking one of these up for the kids at Christmas:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GALIANO-NINTEN ... 499&sr=8-7

Just wanted to check - does it come with all kits pictures? As in piano, bike handles, fishing rod, little robot etc etc. It's not just a lucky dip type situation and you only get one of them?

Ta :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah man, I bought that pack and it does come with all that.

I only built the piano but it was a fun expert experience.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

KissMammal wrote: November 5th, 2019, 8:19 pm
hazeredmist wrote: November 5th, 2019, 12:29 pm Hmm, as someone who bounced off Luigi's Mansion 2 but always intended to go back, I'm interested... Maybe I could get this for Christmas if you can wait that long!! How does it compare to 2?
I'm in the same boat - I liked the overall gameplay of 2, but I really didn't get on with the mission based structure, and constantly getting pulled out of the game, so I eventually lost interest in it.

3 is much more conventional and allows you much more freedom with exploring one single location rather than the multiple locations of 2. I much, much prefer it to 2 - I would recommend you give it a go.

It's a delightful, incredibly polished and satisfying game to play - my only (slight) complaints so far is that the controls feel slightly off - I'd much rather the hoover have more of a twin stick control scheme rather than the odd, tank/rotational setup it has*, and also the game is incredibly easy. I'm guessing I'm 35-45% of the way through and haven't died or got stuck once so far.

I don't imagine I'll bother with the online or multiplayer aspect - it's just not my cup of tea.

*I often have to crane my finger round in a really inorganic way to both angle the hoover and fire the flash light charge for instance.
I'm super interested now! Cheers. Think I'll fire up 2 again soon to check that out in the meantime.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

That Terry direct for Smash probably went over the heads of most people, but it was pretty clear that SNK games were an important part of Sakurai’s childhood,

Also, Mai is officially too lewd for Smash.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, a 45 minute video on a single Smash DLC character did go waaaayyyy over my head you’re right 😄.