The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

I love the title Bravely Default. Much more intriguing to me than any Western RPG title I can think of.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Agree, so many Japanese games have really evocative titles. Like Octopath Traveler, it sounds so different and interesting compared to the rote naming conventions in much of mainstream western media. I mean what would a western company call it, The Sacred Flame? Kingdom of Darkness? Names like Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem are just iconic.
KissMammal wrote: February 24th, 2021, 6:29 pm 'Bravely Default' is equally crummy. It's like they come up with the titles by picking two words at random from a dictionary and mashing them together.
Also really don't like the suggestion publishers/ devs who we assume speak English as a second language are "randomly mashing words together". That is clearly not the case. Just because it isn't immediately recognisable to westerners doesn't make it meaningless.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Not a game but I think the most egregious example of taking a cool and evocative English title from the Japanese publication and giving it a generic English title for the Anglophone release is "All You Need is Kill" becoming "Edge of Tomorrow". I agree that "Bravely Default", "Octopath Traveler" etc sound a lot more interesting and memorable. Japanese titles can also get changed into something more dull in the English version ("Big Human-Eating Eagle Trico" in Japanese to the very vague/generic "The Last Guardian" in English!!!)

But I do remember sometimes in my old job even if we argued that some official English names for things (that had been decided before the documents landed on our desks for English checks) were grammatically incorrect or had a strange nuance, we were told not to change them because they sounded "cooler" (ie the meaning doesn't matter if it sounds cool). Which normally wasn't a problem but not every title is something cool-sounding like "Octopath Traveler". So I can see that side of it as well. (Disclaimer again: I worked doing a lot of translation and English checks but not for a games company).

It does happen the other way round too. Western games and companies will use strange or nonsensical Japanese words to make things sound cool. It's just the way of things. (If you compare the English and Japanese versions of Ghost of Tsushima, you can see a lot of the English "for we are SAMURAI!" type excesses have been toned way down in the Japanese version and I think maybe it's to make it sound less cheesy/silly, but I might be wrong).

I do think Western games/films can have pretty generic titles, though. Compared to Japanese ones. Even something lovely like "Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea" in Japanese became the cute but boring "Ponyo" for the English release.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Speaking of Ghibli, I've seen that the Japanese title for 'The Cat Returns' is like 'The Cats Repay A Favour'. Given the plot of the film, the English title is a bit nonsensical while the Japanese one makes perfect sense.

I really enjoyed the Triangle Strategy demo and quite liked some of the classes, Anna the spy was a particular favourite.

Some Pokémon stuff was announced today and, while I'm no Digital Foundry, Pokémon Legends looks rough.
Nice to see them mix up the formula again I suppose though.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Yeah it looked rough to me too, the frame rate looked choppy and the open world lacked the detail of the likes of Breath of the Wild which is a few years old now.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

I'll buy pretty much any main Pokemon game that Nintendo/GameFream release regardless of the graphics, but I've really taken against some of the designs for higher level evolutions in the last few games (...to the point where I start purposefully keeping Pokemon unevolved).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Bit of a random question, but has anyone added me as a friend on Switch with the username 'Paps'.

Only it says they've added me via friend code and this is literally the only place I've ever posted it. They only seem to play pinball games though, so it seems unlikely its someone from here.

Just wanted to check as I usually delete random friend requests since the kids use the Switch a lot too, so was keeping it people from the forum and real life friends only.

Sorry, this post will be completely irrelevant for 99.99% of anyone who reads it, I'm sure! If it's someone from here, I'll accept it of course!
Whippledip

Post by Whippledip »

Jon Cheetham wrote: February 25th, 2021, 3:59 am Agree, so many Japanese games have really evocative titles. Like Octopath Traveler, it sounds so different and interesting compared to the rote naming conventions in much of mainstream western media. I mean what would a western company call it, The Sacred Flame? Kingdom of Darkness? Names like Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem are just iconic.
KissMammal wrote: February 24th, 2021, 6:29 pm 'Bravely Default' is equally crummy. It's like they come up with the titles by picking two words at random from a dictionary and mashing them together.
Also really don't like the suggestion publishers/ devs who we assume speak English as a second language are "randomly mashing words together". That is clearly not the case. Just because it isn't immediately recognisable to westerners doesn't make it meaningless.
Except for the Kingdom Hearts series...
Miririn wrote: February 25th, 2021, 10:17 am It does happen the other way round too. Western games and companies will use strange or nonsensical Japanese words to make things sound cool. It's just the way of things. (If you compare the English and Japanese versions of Ghost of Tsushima, you can see a lot of the English "for we are SAMURAI!" type excesses have been toned way down in the Japanese version and I think maybe it's to make it sound less cheesy/silly, but I might be wrong).
Wondering if this may be the imperialist connection to the samurai which doesn't really exist in the western perception.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Pacman 99 - out today!

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/p ... 99-switch/

Did we know about this? I'm sure I didn't! Awesome!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It was announced earlier today.

You can download it now (for free) with Nintendo Online, but it goes live at some point on 8th April as I understand it.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

I feel like I've been training my whole life for this...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Highest I've managed to place so far is 32nd. But it's a lot 'easier' to last longer than in Tetris, I've found so far. Enjoying it!

Seems to be a lot of rules I don't yet understand though. I got killed by a see though red Pacman earlier, not sure what that was all about!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Has anyone played Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3? I'm thinking of getting it for the kids, and to be honest I'm quite in the mood for a mindless, button bashing brawler with a load of Marvel characters. My 2 younger ones have recently been really enjoying the Golden Axe trilogy on Megadrive and the Capcom Beat Em Up collection on Switch, so I think it would blow their mind to play an up to date brawler like MUA3.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: April 13th, 2021, 9:28 pm Has anyone played Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3? I'm thinking of getting it for the kids, and to be honest I'm quite in the mood for a mindless, button bashing brawler with a load of Marvel characters. My 2 younger ones have recently been really enjoying the Golden Axe trilogy on Megadrive and the Capcom Beat Em Up collection on Switch, so I think it would blow their mind to play an up to date brawler like MUA3.
I think the reviews have been a bit mixed. My friend got it and he didn't love it, but I'm sure it's a mileage will vary situation.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Alex79uk wrote: April 13th, 2021, 9:28 pm Has anyone played Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3? I'm thinking of getting it for the kids, and to be honest I'm quite in the mood for a mindless, button bashing brawler with a load of Marvel characters. My 2 younger ones have recently been really enjoying the Golden Axe trilogy on Megadrive and the Capcom Beat Em Up collection on Switch, so I think it would blow their mind to play an up to date brawler like MUA3.
I played a few hours of it solo, and a few with my little sisters. It's fun, especially if you're into Marvel movies like we are, but it's as repetitive as you'd expect. " mindless, button bashing brawler with a load of Marvel characters. " sums it up pretty nicely, just don't expect much more than that.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I took advantage of the current full game trial offer, Descenders, also known as 'the other recent mountain biking game that isn't Lonely Mountains Downhill'. I'm really glad they offered a full trial of the game because I was considering getting it.

So, how is it? Let's start, for a change, with the negatives:
  • It looks like a PS2 game. No, worse than that, it looks like an amateur PC Half Life mod from 20 years ago. It really does look that bad on Switch.
  • There is terrible pop-in on all of the tracks I played. Trees coming out of nowhere and all sorts. But, this may be a limitation of the hardware. Not sure how, when it looks so terrible in the first place, and we have games like Doom and The Witcher running on the console, but still. It might be.
  • There is a dreadful, generic drum and bass soundtrack playing constantly. It's not even good drum and bass. It's the most nothing, bland music possible. Just dreadful
  • There appears to be no structure to the game really. At least, it just seemed to me like you randomly pick tracks to ride?
  • The physics are a joke. There is no weight to the bike, it doesn't even feel like it's on the ground, and riding feels about as much fun as drinking raw sewage. It is dire.
  • The controls are ridiculous. To pull a trick they want you to hold accelarate and then bunny hop off a ramp by flicking the right stick down then up, then hold L in the air whilst using the left stick to turn and the right stick to choose a trick. It's just ridiculous. If Tony Hawks can manage to make pulling tricks feel good, there's no excuse for this.
Ok, so in the fairness of balance, here is a list of the positive things about this game.
  • Nothing. It's utter dog shit.
If you fancy having a go, it's free to download a play until Tuesday maybe next week, but you'll have cut off your own hands and spiked out your eyes long before then.

Enjoy.

EDIT: WTAF, it's got great reviews!? Aside from the fact I hated it, it's just terrible performance wise, and the physics are absolute gash. That just absolutely amazed me! Wow, well glad other people are enjoying it at least!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Are the Hori Split Pad Pro's worth it? They cost basically the same as a full price game, but playing FPS games in handheld is so tricky with these tiny Joycon sticks. Looking for a better option - this? Something else? Thanks!
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

I read up on them, apparently they're great to use but don't have rumble or gyro aiming if those are deal breakers.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

WHAAAAT! I couldn't care about rumble, but yeah gyro aiming is a must. Ah damn, what a shame.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

I know, the MH Rise ones were quite tempting before I read that!