The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Spicy Papaya

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Spicy Papaya »

If somewhere reputable does a trade-in deal for less than £100 to swap out an OG v1 Switch for an OLED, I'll bite. Otherwise, this minor revision isn't something I'm going to rush out to buy, especially if it eventually replaces the v2 model.

I'm not too disappointed as I use my Switch for hours each day and I consume a diet of mainly indie titles that I enjoy being able to play in bed and on the big screen in the living room, and myself and my partner share digital titles and with a little setting up that's easy to do (primary/secondary BS).

That said: the performance of Link's Awakening was unacceptable and it's made me wary of first party "AAA" games on current spec hardware. BOTW performs fine IMO, and better than it did on the Wii U, but I'm worried about BOTW2.

My dream is that Nintendo encourages more games to fully support mice and keyboards. There are some great PC ports on the console that would benefit greatly from optional/additional inputs. Hypnospace and that new game builder Ninty released are the only two off the top of my head that support both mouse and keyboard. Imagine being able to hook up your Switch to your monitor and play Sim City, Two Point Hospital, countless point-and-click adventures, etc...
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Spicy Papaya wrote: July 8th, 2021, 1:28 pm My dream is that Nintendo encourages more games to fully support mice and keyboards. There are some great PC ports on the console that would benefit greatly from optional/additional inputs. Hypnospace and that new game builder Ninty released are the only two off the top of my head that support both mouse and keyboard. Imagine being able to hook up your Switch to your monitor and play Sim City, Two Point Hospital, countless point-and-click adventures, etc...
That would be great, I didn't know any games supported keyboard and mouse till now. Would it be down to Nintendo or the developer to support them?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The developer I suppose. If its enabled in one game, it'll work in another, as long as the game is designed to.
Kal_Luke

Post by Kal_Luke »

Hopefully the new base will come with more USB ports for mouse and keyboard. I need a USB hub and I’ll be able to replace my Shield TV with my switch for GeForce Now and use Mouse and Keyboard.

Alex79uk- the good thing about installing custom firmware on the Switch is that it’s all handled on the SD Card. If I want to play online I just boot standard OS and the device and Nintendo doesn’t know it was ever used run retroarch or booted with Android. I think I read that Steam or Nvidia were going to make a handheld device for gaming but until then, there is nothing better than the switch and it’s joycons (but not the drift official ones)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Kal_Luke wrote: July 9th, 2021, 11:08 am Alex79uk- the good thing about installing custom firmware on the Switch is that it’s all handled on the SD Card. If I want to play online I just boot standard OS and the device and Nintendo doesn’t know it was ever used run retroarch or booted with Android. I think I read that Steam or Nvidia were going to make a handheld device for gaming but until then, there is nothing better than the switch and it’s joycons (but not the drift official ones)
Ah really, that's interesting. Yeah as I generally wait until consoles are 'officially dead' before messing with them. My Vita is an excellent emulation machine, but I imagine the Switch would be even better.

Speaking of the Switch, everyone often moans about its OS and how basic it is, but there's one tiny feature that I think it does better than any other. Profiles.

On my PS4 if one of the kids wants to play a game they log out of my profile, switch user, log in to theirs, it's a faff. Switch handles it perfect. "Oh you want to play a game? OK, who's playing it?"

It's such a tiny feature, probably overlooked for how brilliant it is, but it's so handy.
Kal_Luke

Post by Kal_Luke »

Yeah, the vita is a great emulation machine. The Switch isn’t so much better as it doesn’t really run games on Dolphin that well. You can get by on thousand year door but that’s about it. I’ve not tried the flycast core on Vita but it does run really well on Switch.

Agreed- the Switch profiles is good.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Kal_Luke wrote: July 9th, 2021, 4:27 pm Yeah, the vita is a great emulation machine. The Switch isn’t so much better as it doesn’t really run games on Dolphin that well. You can get by on thousand year door but that’s about it. I’ve not tried the flycast core on Vita but it does run really well on Switch.

I've not even tried Gamecube emulation on Vita - have you given it a go? I've not gone any further than PS1. My phone seems to handle Dolphin pretty well, Double Dash works fine on it, but I'm wondering if the Vita is probably less powerful than a phone from the last couple of years nowadays.
Kal_Luke

Post by Kal_Luke »

Alex79uk wrote: July 9th, 2021, 5:27 pm
Kal_Luke wrote: July 9th, 2021, 4:27 pm Yeah, the vita is a great emulation machine. The Switch isn’t so much better as it doesn’t really run games on Dolphin that well. You can get by on thousand year door but that’s about it. I’ve not tried the flycast core on Vita but it does run really well on Switch.

I've not even tried Gamecube emulation on Vita - have you given it a go? I've not gone any further than PS1. My phone seems to handle Dolphin pretty well, Double Dash works fine on it, but I'm wondering if the Vita is probably less powerful than a phone from the last couple of years nowadays.

GameCube is a definite no go on the Vita. I meant the emulation of GameCube on Switch with android is even pretty poor. It’s likely that your phone has a better CPU than the Switch so that’s why it runs Double Dash. I tried Mario Tennis (GC) on Dolphin on the game cube and it was running at 28FPS where it should have been 60.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Three new games join the SNES service next week.

Nintendo are really spoiling/trolling us [delete as appropriate].

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

After spending over 160 hours playing them and finding some all-time favourites there, I’ll always defend these NES and SNES releases, but looking at these I’m afraid there’s nothing there I even want to try this time. But that’s the first time ever, so I’ll give them a pass.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I just don't understand their apparent stubbornness with the refusal to expand the service. I can't be alone in actively wanting to pay more, for more. Even if they released a slate of GBA games on to the eShop as paid downloads, I'd be all over them. Minish Cap, Mario & Luigi, Mario Vs Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong climber game... They don't seem to realise how much people value their history.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Speaking of SNES games, I just recently bought a pair of 8bitdo wireless receivers for my (hacked) SNES Classic after I realised that they are now compatible with the Switch SNES controllers via a software update. So now I can use official wireless SNES pads on the SNES classic, which dramatically expands its usefulness.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Any thoughts on the indie direct? Some decent looking stuff but nothing at all that I'm interested in playing. Just feels a bit frustrating we're in August and nothing on Silksong or Braid. Even a "sorry, we've been delayed, it's coming next year" would do...
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I don't think Silksong would be on an indie direct (despite being an Indie), I read on Twitter yesterday that the inital teaser was revealed at their E3 direct, so I suspect it would show at one of the main Directs.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I thought it was a pretty strong showing. It's insane what constitutes an 'indie' game nowadays...

Was hoping for a stealth drop of that Ninja Turtles beat em up tho...
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Surprise demo for the new Warioware is up on the e-shop.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I just watched the Pokemon Aresus trailer. Purely from the trailer I think it looks good, but I'm really hoping that they are able to use the unique abilities of the Pokemon to take advantage of the open world setting beyond what we have seen in the top down games. Something more than just cutting down trees and surfing for example.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Nintendo Direct at 3pm PST today, so 11pm GMT.

I'm assuming it will almost all be about Metroid Dread, Advance Wars RC, Pokemon and Mario Party Superstars.

But I also think they will announce at least Game Boy titles coming to Switch Online and I think we are finally going to get a title reveal for BotW 2 now that the marketing of the Skyward Sword remake is out of the way.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Oh apparently a new
Spoiler: show
Kirby game
has been leaked, coming early next year. So I imagine that will get 'announced' too.

There's also rumblings about a redesigned Joy Con. Free upgrade for all users? :lol:
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

JadePhoenix wrote: February 24th, 2021, 1:15 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: February 24th, 2021, 9:05 am
KissMammal wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 10:30 pm Genuine question - why do Japanese Game devs insist on coming up with the absolute worst names for their RPGs?

It's kind of a gaming pet hate of mine. Do they actually want them to sell or...?

'Triangle Strategy' is a long way from the worst I've heard, but it still blows. Game looks decent, but man - change that awful name!
It's a working title.
So was "Octopath Traveler"...
Sigh... At least the game still looks sweet.

It's not entirely their fault that the only new announcement in the direct got leaked early, but it definitely put a damper on things. Several games looked interesting, but nothing really got me excited. The continued silence on BotW 2 and MP4 is getting pretty old, and charging extra for N64 and Genesis games is frankly offensive after the way they've handled SNES and NES releases. Honestly the thing that made me the most excited in this direct is the announcement that Chris Pratt is Mario, he's awesome, although I still doubt the movie will be particularly good.