The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Angry_Kurt

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Angry_Kurt »

seansthomas wrote: July 27th, 2020, 8:51 pm
Anyhow... Huge digression but I agree. Just think it's all COVID19 related myself. Just don't know why they don't put out a statement saying 'we've been hit hard but will have an update in September' or something...
[/quote]

I reckon the reason they haven't done this is because of the gamer outrage it would cause unfortunately, as people with little understanding of all the things you mention above regarding working practices in Japan would be questioning why Sony and MS haven't been affected as much.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Some of that is likely cultural. Japanese companies in general do not talk about their internal issues in public. It’s why shareholder meetings for them are so weird, they’re not used to that kind of questioning.

(To this day neither Square or Nintendo will talk on the record about what happened around the formers decision to switch to Sony. They’ve just agreed to never speak of it, which is pretty common in Japan)

Historically MS were not particularly open either, but that’s changed massively since Ballmer left. They have a culture there now that’s much more consumer facing. Also Phil Spencer, from the few times I’ve met him, is not someone who hides from difficult truths.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Well, I guess that's *something* at least:
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/sta ... 5159519232

I'm glad it's finally happening, and adding new content to a game that already had quite a lot of it is pretty sweet, but another Wiiu re-release is hardly going to anchor their Fall/Winter lineup.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

JadePhoenix wrote: August 5th, 2020, 3:13 pm Well, I guess that's *something* at least:
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/sta ... 5159519232

I'm glad it's finally happening, and adding new content to a game that already had quite a lot of it is pretty sweet, but another Wiiu re-release is hardly going to anchor their Fall/Winter lineup.
£50 is a lot too. Having never played a Pikmin game before and not really knowing what type of game it is, £50 is too much to pay for something that would be a bit of a risk for me. I would like to try it but I’ll wait for a sale
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Flabyo wrote: July 28th, 2020, 1:01 pm Some of that is likely cultural. Japanese companies in general do not talk about their internal issues in public. It’s why shareholder meetings for them are so weird, they’re not used to that kind of questioning.

(To this day neither Square or Nintendo will talk on the record about what happened around the formers decision to switch to Sony. They’ve just agreed to never speak of it, which is pretty common in Japan)

Historically MS were not particularly open either, but that’s changed massively since Ballmer left. They have a culture there now that’s much more consumer facing. Also Phil Spencer, from the few times I’ve met him, is not someone who hides from difficult truths.
That's cool you got to meet Phil Spencer, how did you meet him if you don't mind me asking?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I worked at Lionhead for ten years.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Flabyo wrote: August 6th, 2020, 7:52 am I worked at Lionhead for ten years.
Wow, awesome man! Were you there during the Black and White days? Still one of my favorite games of all time, as well as its sequel. Fable was also amazing!
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

So with Crysis now available on Switch, are you guys thinking of picking up a portable version?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... g-analysis

Digital Foundry says it runs better than the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, which is just amazing the power they can get out that Tegra X1 chip.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

HaloFandango wrote: August 15th, 2020, 3:54 pm So with Crysis now available on Switch, are you guys thinking of picking up a portable version?

Digital Foundry says it runs better than the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, which is just amazing the power they can get out that Tegra X1 chip.
I'd pick it up for a tenner or less, not paying what they're asking at the moment.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Alex79uk wrote: August 15th, 2020, 8:37 pm
HaloFandango wrote: August 15th, 2020, 3:54 pm So with Crysis now available on Switch, are you guys thinking of picking up a portable version?

I'd pick it up for a tenner or less, not paying what they're asking at the moment.
Yeah, that's fair. Especially considering how old the game is and that it isn't a Nintendo first party title, the Nintendo tax won't affect this game as much hopefully :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Indie Showcase Direct tomorrow:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/ ... 8th_august

I've seen a bit of grumbling it's not for 'big' games, but personally I'm much more excited to see new indie games on Switch. If I'm playing AAA stuff it's normally on PS4.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I guess people are annoyed its not for the AAA Nintendo developed games
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I can understand that, they've been very quiet recently, but honestly aside from the rumoured Mario remasters, there's nothing upcoming from Nintendo I'm personally interested in. I'd love an announcement saying GBA games are coming in September though!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: August 17th, 2020, 2:25 pm Indie Showcase Direct tomorrow:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/ ... 8th_august

I've seen a bit of grumbling it's not for 'big' games, but personally I'm much more excited to see new indie games on Switch. If I'm playing AAA stuff it's normally on PS4.
Fall Guys hopefully 😊
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Surprise 'partner' Direct dropped a little while ago.

Hopefully there's something there you like. Can't say any of it appeals to me other than the football game, that might be cool. The boxing game could be good too, but it looks pretty ropey at the moment, not out till mid 2021 though.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Alex79uk wrote: August 26th, 2020, 6:22 pm Surprise 'partner' Direct dropped a little while ago.

Hopefully there's something there you like. Can't say any of it appeals to me other than the football game, that might be cool. The boxing game could be good too, but it looks pretty ropey at the moment, not out till mid 2021 though.
Yeah, same. Fuser looked ok too.

Thought the indie world direct was great though and liked the look of 90% of the games in that. This barren patch has also seen me making some real headway through my Switch back catalogue.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Now we're getting somewhere. The actual game releases are mostly stuff that's been rumored for a while now, and it's hard to imagine they weren't supposed to come out sooner, but it's good to have confirmation, and 3d All-Stars in 2 weeks is awesome. OTOH, Galaxy 2 getting totally ghosted is weird, and what's with this limited availability BS? With Pikmin 3 and SM 3D World coming to Switch in the next few months, is there any reason at all to still own a Wiiu? It would still be really nice if there was a single actual NEW game on the calendar like, ever...
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I'm properly excited after watching that to play 64 and Sunshine which I have never played before. The whole limited release thing for retail and digital is really odd though.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'll buy all 3 when on sale as I'll have to buy it twice, once for me and another for my son. Speaking of which he'll lose his marbles when he sees the AR Mario Kart, brilliant idea.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I wouldn’t wait for a sale if I was you, since Nintendo have made the interesting decision to make this a limited time product, even the digital version.