The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79 »

Monster Hunter Rise demo should be out at some point today on the eShop. Looking forward to giving it a try - anyone fancy trying some co-op some time?
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's interesting, because Nintendo don't generally release an upgraded version of their home consoles, but have always iterated upon their handhelds - often several times. If the rumours are true, I wonder if that's an indication Nintendo themselves view the Switch more as a handheld that you just happen to be able to plug in to the telly rather than a 'proper' home console. Ultimately doesn't make any difference to anything, but it was just a thought I had.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

It seems to me Nintendo are viewing the switch as their consolidated console that encompasses previous concepts of both Nintendo "home console" and "handheld console", e.g. link's awakening to me seems like something that in the past would have been a DS game.

No clue if that's accurate just my understanding of it.

Re: Mon Hun, would be up for co-op but I'm locked down in my parents's house for the foreseeable, left my Switch in the flat before Christmas unfortunately 😑
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've borrowed a 3DS for the kids to play 3D Land, but got no charger. Does anyone know if the 3DS chargers are all the same or if I need a specific one for the original XL model? (as in its a 3DS XL but not a 'new 3DS' I think...)

I was going to buy one but didn't want to end up with the wrong thing.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: January 8th, 2021, 10:31 am It's interesting, because Nintendo don't generally release an upgraded version of their home consoles, but have always iterated upon their handhelds - often several times. If the rumours are true, I wonder if that's an indication Nintendo themselves view the Switch more as a handheld that you just happen to be able to plug in to the telly rather than a 'proper' home console. Ultimately doesn't make any difference to anything, but it was just a thought I had.
True about the home consoles, and I wonder if the whole Wii-U thing doesn't make them a bit gun-shy, even though it wasn't an upgrade of the Wii... which was part of the confusion.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Not sure how others view theirs, but I treat the Switch as my handheld console so I can understand Nintendo treating it as such if a lot of people are like me.

Most of my Switch games I play almost exclusively in handheld mode (especially if they're text-heavy). "Fire Emblem", random rhythm games, Switch versions of stuff like "Two Point Hospital" or "Civilization", "Animal Crossing", puzzle games etc etc. It's better than squinting at tiny text on the TV screen. So personally I think of it as my handheld, playing-while-commuting/playing-in-bed/taking-on-holiday/playing-on-the-exercise-bike console (as opposed to my PS4) and I'll buy games for it that suit that sporadic, on-the-go play-style (for example, I just played "Spiritfarer" on the Switch). It makes sense because I got it to replace my beloved and battered 3DS when "Pokemon" and "Fire Emblem" moved on to Switch. I think a lot of my friends consider their Switches their handheld console in the same way.

I'll normally only play Switch on the telly if I'm playing something stupidly gorgeous and cinematic, like "Breath of the Wild", or if I'm playing exercise or multiplayer games like "Just Dance".
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

That's exactly how I use it and like you will purchase games which are more suited to handheld play, particularly less story intensive games that I can play whilst half watching something on TV which doesn't require much engagement either, like a football match or documentary or something on youtube. I have sometimes even bought the switch version even if it's available on game pass, I think that will all change once xcloud comes to iOS devices.

I have never once played my Switch on the TV, it really is a handheld console for me. Having stuff like Doom Eternal on Switch is great, but I would always prefer to play those big blockbuster games on TV on a console with the most power, though I do understand some people will only have a Switch, so it's great those types of games get ported over.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Truk_Kurt wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 12:45 pm That's exactly how I use it and like you will purchase games which are more suited to handheld play, particularly less story intensive games that I can play whilst half watching something on TV which doesn't require much engagement either, like a football match or documentary or something on youtube.
This is me also, except my friend told me I was "playing 'Animal Crossing' wrong" because I spent about two hundred hours during Lockdown #1 playing it while drinking wine and marathoning terrible horror movies.

(I will now forever associate Isabelle's kindly face with "Wolf Creek 2" and the "The Hills Have Eyes" remake)
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Alex79uk wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 1:04 pm I've borrowed a 3DS for the kids to play 3D Land, but got no charger. Does anyone know if the 3DS chargers are all the same or if I need a specific one for the original XL model? (as in its a 3DS XL but not a 'new 3DS' I think...)

I was going to buy one but didn't want to end up with the wrong thing.

Every version of the 3DS, as well as the DSi, uses the same charger.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Next lot of SNES & NES games coming to Switch announced.

SNES:
Psycho Dream
Doomsday Warrior
Prehistorik Man

NES:
Fire n' Ice

Seemingly random selection there. Prehistorik Man looks to have been the best reviewed, with the other two SNES offerings being average at best.

Still can't wrap my head around how or why they're selecting what games join the service though. Just seems totally random, and, well, not that great. I know there are loads of brilliant SNES games already on there, but so many others left out too. I know it all comes down to licensing, but there are first party games they could put on, as well as expanding to GBA or Gameboy.

Meh. Who knows.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Alex79uk wrote: February 11th, 2021, 10:40 am Next lot of SNES & NES games coming to Switch announced.

SNES:
Psycho Dream
Doomsday Warrior
Prehistorik Man

NES:
Fire n' Ice

Seemingly random selection there. Prehistorik Man looks to have been the best reviewed, with the other two SNES offerings being average at best.

Still can't wrap my head around how or why they're selecting what games join the service though. Just seems totally random, and, well, not that great. I know there are loads of brilliant SNES games already on there, but so many others left out too. I know it all comes down to licensing, but there are first party games they could put on, as well as expanding to GBA or Gameboy.

Meh. Who knows.
I'd say it's most likely because a decent chunk of the best NES and SNES games were made by software houses like Square, Konami and Capcom, and they probably want to reserve their 'premium' titles for sale on the eShop, whether individually or as part of their own bundles.

It is a shame though - I'd still much prefer that they had just kept the old Virtual console style system where you could curate your own library. As nice as the NES and SNES 'apps' interfaces are, I just like to have all my games in one place for neatness sake.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah they should've kept the virtual console. It has been fantastic for my wallet they haven't!.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Guys I just thought of a really stupid joke and I need to share it with you all.

What do you call underwear for Virtual Boy enthusiasts?

Teleroboxers.

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

chase210

Post by chase210 »

Bowser's Fury on 3D World is excellent! Wish it was a little longer, but it feels like there's definitely room to expand on the concept, which I hope they do.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

So, apparently the sum total of first party Switch games for 2021 is:
Mario Golf
Another Zelda remake.

Glad we waited a year and a half for *that*.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

That Direct was utter dogshit.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

There were a few games I'm interested in, but I wasn't overly excited by the direct. I'm disappointed they've still not expanded the Online classic games libraries with another format and I'd hoped for a bit more on Zelda - I wonder if they'll be doing a special direct just for that later in the year? Surely a HD remake of Skyward Sword can't be the sum of their anniversary celebrations, can it?

So yeah, overall a bit disappointed, but not exactly surprised.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/17/signific ... -14096541/

There are rumours that they have more to announce over the next 4 weeks so there is hope of more Zelda stuff and more.

Apparently Skyward Sword is going to be £50 which seems a tad high to me for a port, I could understand that price point if it was a collection like 3D All Stars, but not for one game.

Mario Golf and Skyward Sword were the only things of interest to me. Breath of the Wild 2 is another game they announced too early alongside the likes of Starfield and the next Elder Scrolls. Doing the original trailer last night for the game would have been much better than announcing it when they did imo.