The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

ratsoalbion wrote:the GameCube version of Twilight Princess was wonderful.
I never made it all the way through that game on either Gamecube or Wii, but I agree the GC version was indeed a great version. In that case and probably in the new game's case the older platform would have been where development started, with the newer version only added when the original host console began to fall away (weird how that's happened twice now on the cusp of two Zelda games!), so you should in theory get a rock solid version on the older machine rather than it being any kind of stripped down port.

I'm sure it'll be great on both, but it'll be NX all the way for me as never took the plunge on a Wii U. Could never justify another exclusively under-the-TV console, but a handheld....I'm kind of done with my 3DS apart for A Link Between Worlds anyway so that could make way :roll:
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Apparently the NX will finally be revealed in September with a direct. Taken long enough.
Suits

Post by Suits »

If it's going to be released in March and they want the correct sort of speculation, they gotta do it soon.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Nintendo Direct on Thursday at 3PM if you're in the UK.

Focussing on 3DS.

It will not be talking about NX so adjust your expectations accordingly.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Nintendo Direct time! I watched the Europe one, then skimmed the US and JPN ones on YouTube.

The Europe one is shortest, but you need to watch that one for the right release dates for things.
The US one had Reggie doing comedy skits, the other two play it much straighter. It also had some clips for a couple of games that just had single frame 'release date' images on the EU one.
The JPN one had about 6 or so games that weren't in the others, all of them JRPGs we'll most likely never get.

Nothing too amazing announced, main bullet points:

Mario Maker for 3DS later this year.
Lot more new Amiibo, some for the Zelda 30th anniversary, the rest being Mario Bros series ones (including Daisy and Waluigi)
Pretty fun looking Mario Sports compilation thing for the 3DS with online play.
2D side scrolling Pikmin action game for 3DS.
Yoshi's Wooley world coming to 3DS with a sidekick called Poochy. Yes, people have already made all the jokes on twitter.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Oh, and Skyward Sword is now available on the WiiU virtual console if you want to put yourself through that again ;)

If you'll excuse me, there's a Rhythm Paradise Megamix demo I need to download...
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I was quite happy with that direct as it goes. No NX news/Wii U being dead is a bummer, but a lot of games, no dumb chit chat, happy as larry.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

New Play Control Pikmin (Wii) is also out now on Wii U, which is cool (albeit much more expensive than seeking out an old disc copy). I hope that the sequel follows soon.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I thought that was a pretty chunky NDirect.

Mario Maker is pretty cool I think, although I expect the versions will differ quite a lot.

Pikmin will be enjoyable, I'll get that as well as that Mario Sports game.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Interesting how many good Wii U titles are making it to 3DS in some form now.

I often think people trash talk Nintendo unfairly and usually get proven wrong, but Mario Maker on 3DS without online functionality seems utterly neutered to me!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The slot cars thing they added to Street Pass is really good.

Also, the title tune for it is really catchy. SoP request perhaps...
Craig

Post by Craig »

I really hope the NX is region free, but I have my doubts. There are obviously some very vocal people on the internet that want it to be, but I can't really imagine the average consumer, which is where the majority of sales come from, really care.

Those very vocal people are also the type to buy the product regardless if there are good games (and on rare occasion, buy a second, different region console) so they don't really help their cause.

Iwata made comments about reviewing the policy, but they were blown out of proportion somewhat by those wishing Nintendo to remove the region locking.

As for this generation, there have been some pretty agonising waits but it seems most of the games that didn't actually leave Japan were either A) Text heavy RPGs which you probably wouldn't want to play untranslated anyway or B) licenced anime games.

There was one of those drum master games and a well received version of Lost Planet, but other than that it seems to be Europe and the US are getting most the games these days. Eventually.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

This is it, we're gonna get the NX reveal by the end of September, I can feel it. That and the WSJ article.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

I hope so, or else I may spend those £150 worth of Amazon vouchers I have saved up on a PS4. Well, depending on what NX is, I may end up doing that anyhow!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Selfishly, I really want a console that feels perfectly at home on the big screen in front of the sofa, the times a year that I take my 3DS outside my house I can count on one hand. If there's any sacrifices to be made in what's being reported as a device that satisfies both devices, I'd prefer them to be on the mobile side.

Also, I was thinking... I wonder if Mario Maker coming to the 3DS is any sort of indication that there won't be a port to the new console from the Wii U - I really hope not.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I was just listening to a Nintendo recording where the author was talking about various rumours and known info about the NX.

He went on to talk about the fact that it seems strange that Nintendo are releasing the NX in March and don't have it ready for a Christmas release. He went on to explain a rumour that the NX was originally pressed for a Novemeber 2016 release, then at the turn of this year, (in Spring) Nintendo got wind of the Playstation Neo and panicked considered the increased power something like that would bring to a console generation that Nintendo were already behind.

Due to is Nintendo started to look at increasing their power options and become tied to a new release window of March 2017, perhaps to couple the system with the new Invidia chip rumoured to be powering the NX releasing at around that time.

It's all gossip and rumour but there are more than a few ends that link up there, or even make sense. I also agree that power isn't everything and that it's very un-Nintendo like to worry about something like that. However, if Nintedo are really trying with this console and not compete with the big boys but still hold a large share of the market perhaps these things are starting to find their way onto Nintendo board meetings.

Come on Nintendo, spill the Goomba's !!!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Mr Miyamoto turned up at last nights Apple event to reveal Super Mario Run! I'm rather curious and excited.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... -to-iphone

https://youtu.be/z2lpu3EE8rA

And in related news, Nintendo have delayed Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing iOS games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... ed-to-2017
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I bought Metroid Prime FF! Cos I have no consistency :p And while I don't hate it, its definitely not balanced for single player.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

dezm0nd wrote:Mr Miyamoto turned up at last nights Apple event to reveal Super Mario Run! I'm rather curious and excited.
Me too! :D
Craig

Post by Craig »

Mario will probably play a lot like the Rayman iOS runner games. Looking forward to it.