The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Feirsteax

Re: Nintendo Wii U

Post by Feirsteax »

Just dropping by to say I love the Wii U. Played monster hunter again there, took me a while to get reacquainted but once I did I just couldn't stop. Def gonna play a bit more of that over Christmas.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

I've ordered my Wii U ready for Christmas, looking forward to some 4 player Mario World / Kart / Smash Bros fun! I already have loads of Wii remotes, so are any of the other accessories worth getting? How about the pro controller or GameCube controller adapters?
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

Pro controller is a solid piece of kit. For the games that don't require the GamePad, it's really handy to Have one as it's more comfortable to holds and also has a huge battery life
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

mikeleddy83 wrote:As far as I'm aware games actually run better than by disc, Grim from these forums had issues with the disc version of MH3U but digitally it had no issues with loading in assets when browsing the inventory on that particular game.
True! The game appears to be accessing the disc for every piece of inventory you view, slowing down the process and of course causing the console's disc drive to make those noises we all know and love each time you press down on the d-pad. The digital version of course doesn't have this, in fact it loads pretty much everything faster.
Hierony wrote:Just dropping by to say I love the Wii U. Played monster hunter again there, took me a while to get reacquainted but once I did I just couldn't stop. Def gonna play a bit more of that over Christmas.
Amazing game. And if you ever want to do some hunting online just drop us a message over in the community thread!
Electric Crocosaurus wrote:I've ordered my Wii U ready for Christmas, looking forward to some 4 player Mario World / Kart / Smash Bros fun! I already have loads of Wii remotes, so are any of the other accessories worth getting? How about the pro controller or GameCube controller adapters?
I'd also recommend the Wii U Pro Controller, I use it whenever possible and that's quite a bit since most games support it now. The GameCube Controller Adapter is only compatible with Smash Bros. for Wii U (you can't even use it with Smash Bros. Brawl in Wii mode) so unless you're adamant about playing Smash with a GC controller I'd perhaps hold off on that purchase.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Unwrapped my Wii U and I'm loving it. Feel free to add me - Electric_Croc
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I have purchased a Wii U. Add me up user names domsbeard
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

As it doesn't often go on sale, I thought I'd inform you all that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is half price on the eShop at the moment. Good game, that.
chase210

Re: The 3DS / Nintendo Direct Thread

Post by chase210 »

So was anyone else lucky enough to get the chance to get the New 3DS early?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I didn't get an email but a kind soul is going to try and buy one through the email he got and sell it to me for cost price.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Well fuck : http://mynintendonews.com/2015/01/09/ni ... ng-market/ how the hell Im supposed to get Bayonetta 2 and majora's Mask 3D now!?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Well that sucks.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Man, that's awful news :(
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Well that sucks. South America is supposed to be a new growing market for games too. Recently things seemed to be getting better as well, with how Sony and Microsoft were making moves to grow their presence there.

Although, isn't it usually cheaper to import stuff to Brazil anyway, since the taxes are so high? That might be a problem with Nintendo and their region locking, but a quick Google search says that Brazil is PAL, so that means you should probably still be able to import stuff from Europe or Australia. Would that be an option?
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Yeah imports are an option the problem is customs are usually savy about this stuff,if you just import a game you will have to pay a bunch of taxes that basically make it the same price as it would be here so you have to be clever about it so I dont like to do that but it's gonna be the only option now if I wanna play Nintendo games.
This whole thing is so weird companies lately have been doing the exact oposite trying to get in the market here even Sony with it's criminal prices for the PS4 has been making an effort,we're the largest market in Latin America by far and one of the fastest growing markets in the world overall,was it really not worth to stick around here? Companies man I sure dont get them.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I think quite a lot of Nintendo's decisions lately have been really odd and kind of silly. Mostly it's how they seem to be so reluctant to fulfill demand for their own products recently. They sold out of those Gamecube controller adapters for the Wii U in 30 minutes, and they're discontinuing countless amiibo figures after a single, small production run which also entirely sold out. It makes no sense. Nintendo are in a bit of a pickle lately (if you look at the short term at least), so they've been trying new things to get them out of these problems, and it's actually been going well. Yet they're not even coming close to capitalising as much as they could on a lot of these things. They seem to be giving up at the first hurdle, despite the fact they leapt over it with ease. It makes no sense at all.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So I have a couple of questions...

1. Can you play Wii games on the pad screen without Nunchuck and remote? I'm thinking of picking up Galaxies 1 and 2.

2. I've picked up Mass Effect 3, how does it work with the lack of saves for 1 &2?.

Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

1. The games can be displayed on the Gamepad screen, but the Gamepad itself cannot be used as a controller - not even in games with Classic Controller support. Not that the Galaxy games support the Classic Controller anyway.

2. Don't own ME3, but if I recall correctly from reading about it, you get a graphic novel-style intro covering the events of the first two games wherein you can make choices for the characters along the way.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

That's a shame, mind you I've got New Super Mario/Luigi brothers and 3D to try yet plus Donkey Kong if I can find anywhere selling a copy at a non ridiculous price :)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Nintendo Direct tomorrow, 2pm GMT
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

STARFOX PLEASE