The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah on my Wii I'm using an official component cable (I think! It's the one with individual red, green and blue cable for video - I always get mixed up between component and composite - I've bought it post buying my Wii, it's not the cable that came with it) on 480p. I just wondered if that HDMI adapter would improve the picture. I guess that price isn't too much of a risk to test it at least, may give it a go after Christmas.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex – So, what you’re describing are Component cables, often referred to the US standard YPbPr which are the colours you mentioned. This is normally associated with the NTSC or popular in the US for instance.

What’s more common in the UK are Composite cables, which is RGB put down one cable (yellow) the right and white are audio cables. These then are often split into the PAL European SCART 21-pin standard, if you have the adapter that the Yellow, Red and White cables plug into and the SCART connection on your TV – I’d strongly recommend using that, as the 21 pin connector will split the yellow into RGB and a Sync, which will likely be SYNC on Luma which is fine.

I have the official Wii RGB SCART, component and Composite cables, choosing the RGB SCART as that has the least interference and best connection.

Remember that with analogue each time you plugs something into something, there’s a chance to loose quality.

You will see a difference.

This may all seem pointless but there’s often a few little cheap things you can do to improve picture quality and get a better picture. The Wii is probably the best console I have that gives a wonderful picture on a CRT.

Those WiiHDMI Convertors are awful, God awful. They just very poorly and cheaply convert the analogue signal into a digital one that can be used. Badly. I’d rather use the Component cables you have to be honest.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

What I'd like to know is why the Wii HDMI adapter costs around £6, meanwhile the nearest figure I can find about this new GameCube one hovers around $150...
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The GameCube doesn’t output a picture at anything that scales nicely to 1080p, so there needs to be extra electronics to do nice things with it. The Wii has a native 480p output and pretty much all hdmi TVs know how to deal with that cleanly.

Essentially, the Wii one is just a cable. The GameCube one has an upscale device in it.

If you have lots of retro consoles you want to hook up, you’re probably better investing in a proper upscale box with lots of inputs. http://retrorgb.com/upscalers.html
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: December 18th, 2018, 12:59 pm What I'd like to know is why the Wii HDMI adapter costs around £6, meanwhile the nearest figure I can find about this new GameCube one hovers around $150...
So, the GCHD uses the digital out port that the first generation of GameCube had and was never used. Remember - Digital.

The digital signal is then put out to HDMI and will display nice and crisply on a modern panel.

The Wii2HD device will simply take the analogue signal the Wii puts out and squeeze it through a process to turn it into a digital signal.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the explanations.

I don't actually have that many older consoles in use, just the GameCube really. So this GCHD appears like a better space/value proposition than something like the Framemeister.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I have a Wii2Hd adapter and it works fine in that it allows me to use it on any modern tv but isn’t a patch on the component cables. My main tv lacks component input despite being all singing all dancing in every other respect.

It also doesn’t work when you play a GameCube game on the Wii. I was alarmed when my ridiculously expensive chibi robo eBay purchase didn’t appear on screen on first play and thought I’d be sold a duff copy.

To be honest when it comes to the Wii I’m not looking for razor sharp visuals so usually just use the composite leads (sacrilege I know). It’s the waggle that puts me off than the visual downgrade.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Simonsloth wrote: December 18th, 2018, 6:23 pm I was alarmed when my ridiculously expensive chibi robo eBay purchase didn’t appear on screen on first play and thought I’d be sold a duff copy.
Yeah, if you paid less than £100 nowadays - you got a bargain there.

Briefly on the Wii, used in a specific way - there’s not much that can get close to how glorious this can look on a CRT - it’s jaw dropping at times.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Suits wrote: December 28th, 2018, 9:01 am The GameCube pads are actually full on GameCube pads in every way, even down to the connections - making them exactly the same as the 2001 originals, as KSub says.

The way to use them on the Switch is via a Nintendo GameCube adapter, which connected to the consoles docking base via a USB.

It’s the exact save device that was used/needed to use GameCube pads on the Wii U.

The GameCube pad will actually work really well on other Switch games too, the most noteable one probably being Mario Tennis Aces.
I’m looking at amazon now and I can see the official Nintendo one but a couple of nice variants by Hori. Anyone have an opinions on these?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Simonsloth wrote: December 28th, 2018, 5:32 pm I’m looking at amazon now and I can see the official Nintendo one but a couple of nice variants by Hori. Anyone have an opinions on these?
I don't remember ever using any Hori controller, but I have a very low opinion of off-brand controllers in general.

Looking at the Hori "GameCube-style" pad on amazon, it appears to have a built-in USB port. Which means it's not a true 1:1 GameCube pad and that it wouldn't be compatible with an actual GC console, for example.

Seriously, my advice would be to stick to official proprietary products. Anything else is asking for potential trouble, be it in terms of hardware compatibility, long-term built quality, decolouration, replacement parts, etc... The few extra pounds are more than worth it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hori stuff is generally top notch.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

With MadCatz gone, Hori is pretty much the only game in town. (There’s Qanba as well if it’s arcade sticks we’re talking, and Razer are starting to move in there too, but for pads? Hori is basically the only good one left)
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: December 28th, 2018, 5:53 pm Hori stuff is generally top notch.
I pretty much agree with this.

I have a few Hori things, the GameCube GameBoy controller which is stunningly good at what it’s designed to do.

I also have the Pokken Wii U/Switch controller, which again is hard to find fault with.

The actually Hori GameCube controllers, I’ve not held do can’t really comment on that - however, while there is an official product available, I’d always go with that option.

Mind Nintendo Life where pretty positive about it, with its extra Z button and home buttons that the originals don’t have.......

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/1 ... controller
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

It's not a 1:1 GameCube controller, though. It's a "GameCube-style" controller for Switch that isn't going to work on Simon's original GameCube or Wii consoles.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: December 28th, 2018, 6:25 pm It's not a 1:1 GameCube controller, though. It's a "GameCube-style" controller for Switch that isn't going to work on Simon's original GameCube or Wii consoles.
Oh, right, sorry.

I must have skim read the previous commmets and just focused on the quality aspect.

Yeah, the official SSMU GameCube controller is mustard, get that.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I suppose the thing that is confusing me is that they say officially licensed and have Nintendo stamped all over them.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Simonsloth wrote: December 28th, 2018, 6:46 pm I suppose the thing that is confusing me is that they say officially licensed and have Nintendo stamped all over them.
That just means licensed by Nintendo to say that they are suitable for the console.

Other Hori stuff is similarly marked like that.

If you get the opportunity, try and get an official Nintendo one - you'll just need an adapter then.

I have a spare one floating about if you need one.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ooooofffffff, the lads.

I had an indigo one, that literally disintegrated for some reason :( .

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Simonsloth wrote: December 28th, 2018, 6:46 pm I suppose the thing that is confusing me is that they say officially licensed and have Nintendo stamped all over them.
The only way to assure 100% compatibility in the past, present and future is to stick to official proprietary products. If you want to buy a well-made GameCube controller that will work flawlessly with all the games and consoles that support it, this one is all you need. Hope that helps.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Oh, darn. The idiots on amazon actually wrote "Compatible with Nintendo Switch only" in the description...

Nick, would you be so kind to post a pic from the back of the controller's box that came with your Smash LE? Right where it lists the compatible consoles. Just to reassure Simon that he's buying the right stuff.