The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79 »

Let the kids play the Hyrule Warriors 2 demo this morning and they loved it. They always want to play BOTW, but it's a bit complicated for them and they just tend to wander around the world doing nothing and get bored with, but with this being what looks to them like exactly the same world, with the same characters and art style, just with much more action, they couldn't get enough. I've not had a go of it yet, but it looks great, and in my opinion a noticeable step up, graphically, from BOTW. (At least on the TV, not tried it in handheld).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just had a quick go of the Control streaming demo. In short, I thought it was garbage. Noticeable lag on the camera, and the demo cut out and tried to hassle me in to buying the game the second I picked up a gun to use, so didn't even get long enough to test the combat! Visually, there was definite smudging and pixelating too. No, not for me, I definitely won't be paying to stream games to my Switch!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Alex79uk wrote: November 12th, 2020, 3:09 pm Just had a quick go of the Control streaming demo. In short, I thought it was garbage. Noticeable lag on the camera, and the demo cut out and tried to hassle me in to buying the game the second I picked up a gun to use, so didn't even get long enough to test the combat! Visually, there was definite smudging and pixelating too. No, not for me, I definitely won't be paying to stream games to my Switch!
That’s a shame. I’ve got no interest in the game itself, but I didn’t notice any technical problems with the demo. Apart from it giving me motion sickness, I was impressed!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I’ve been recently re enjoying the GameCube! It’s a real great experience. Most of these games haven’t aged a day.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I was thinking about picking up a cheap GBA SP for the kids, since they're really in to games now, and that had such a brilliant library. That is until I saw they're still selling for a pretty penny. The worst thing is I had one and gave it to my eldest years ago, and he has no idea where it is now! Even had a flash cart with it too... :o
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

chase210 wrote: November 14th, 2020, 2:06 pm I’ve been recently re enjoying the GameCube! It’s a real great experience. Most of these games haven’t aged a day.
I still regularly dig out my Gamecube when I'm at my parents. It's an underrated system and the third party titles were excellent.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I accidentally gave my Gamecube and most the games away years back. A friends dad was a big gamer but never had a Gamecube and it was around the time I was mainly in to PC so I just said he could borrow them. He was a top bloke so I never minded, but he sadly passed away a couple of years ago and I'd feel like a complete prick giving his wife a call to go and collect them...
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I love my Gamecube far more now than when I got it. It sat untouched for years, but I’ve built up quite the collection over the last couple of years! Playing through Mario Sunshine for the first time recently was great, and now I’m about to embark on Resident Evil 4 on there - the only game in the series I’ve never played! I really want Luigi’s Mansion then I’ve got just about everything I want, but the prices on that have gone nuts over the last few months!

Alex, I had the same problem when the backlight in my GBA SP went last year. I ended up getting a PocketGo, which is fantastic. It will play pretty much anything, but I just use it for Gameboy / Colour / Advance, plus Lynx and Game Gear which I don’t have access to anymore (on account of my brother selling them years ago)! I did start out with good intentions of only loading the games I own or owned onto the SD card, but the temptation was too great!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

A World Ends With You sequel was just announced for PS4 and Switch, coming out Summer 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bUU_58 ... e=emb_logo
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Tried this on DS a few times but never got in to it. I've always liked the idea of a 'real world' JRPG though. The Persona series is probably about the closest I can think of, but I'm not hugely fond of their clear cut 'this is the day time, this is the dungeon' format.

Is this game any good?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: November 24th, 2020, 9:18 am Ahem: https://caneandrinse.com/the-world-ends-with-you/
I did think about having a listen as I skipped that one at the time, but didn't want to spoil it in case I did play it!
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

I think somebody needs to have a chat with the folks at Nintendo and Koei about what exactly the word "Prequel" means...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

How so?
chase210

Post by chase210 »

The frame rate on hyrule warriors calamity whatever it’s called isn’t great, at least not in undocked mode. It’s bad enough to seriously detract from the game for me.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

ratsoalbion wrote: November 25th, 2020, 5:54 amHow so?
Spoilers:
Spoiler: show
They actually don't all die. In short, time-travel shenanigans ensue, and creates some kind of new timeline where everyone survives.

I'm not personally all that upset about it, I didn't really care about BotW's story anyway, but the game was marketed as a prequel, and it's really not.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Heh, cheeky.

Edit: Hmmm, I'm now wondering, did Nintendo ever actually use the word "prequel" in relation to Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity?

The press did, sure, but all references on official blurb say, "A story set 100 years before The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild…" which is a slightly different take, semantically.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Alex79uk wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 9:45 pm Tried this on DS a few times but never got in to it. I've always liked the idea of a 'real world' JRPG though. The Persona series is probably about the closest I can think of, but I'm not hugely fond of their clear cut 'this is the day time, this is the dungeon' format.

Is this game any good?
TWEWY's combat is really unusual and can be a lot of work to 'get', due to the dual screen mechanics.

The story is great, its just such a wonderfully odd setup and it has a lot of good twists and turns. Of course the main character's development could be boiled down to one of the great JRPG cliches
Spoiler: show
Emo teen learns to have friends
but I think its done well. The team on the podcast felt that development was rushed in places. I love the art and the music is very suitable and nice to groove along to in game (maybe less so out of game).

So is this game any good? I'd say yes. It's in my top 10 JRPGs, and I play a few of those each year. Does this mean you'll like it? Maybe, it's quite different in some ways, yet very much on JRPG tropes in others and I don't blame people for bouncing off it.

I also think the DS version is the best version and I think that was the feeling from Leah and Josh on the pod.

On the sequel, I got Jet Set Radio vibes form the design, which is great since my nearest touchstone for the original's art style was JSR but 2D. I hope this turns out well.
Pezuole

Post by Pezuole »

Hi all, new here, found this community on the search. I have a Nintendo question. Does anybody know if you can redeem 2 codes for the same item and pay 5 dollars shipping? I have 2 accounts and want to buy two Mario zipper cases, one for me and the other for a friend. I don’t want to order separately because I’m not spending 10 dollars shipping. Thank you for your help.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Pezuole wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 9:14 pm Hi all, new here, found this community on the search. I have a Nintendo question. Does anybody know if you can redeem 2 codes for the same item and pay 5 dollars shipping? I have 2 accounts and want to buy two Mario zipper cases, one for me and the other for a friend. I don’t want to order separately because I’m not spending 10 dollars shipping. Thank you for your help.
I'm not sure you're really asking this question in the right place, but welcome to the forum! To be honest, I'm only guessing, but it seems highly unlikely that you'd be able to combine the shipping of orders made from two seperate accounts. I'm almost certain of that.