The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

There was plenty of new stuff on the Direct that I'm now interested in: Project Triangle Strategy, Neon White, Mario Golf, Legend of Mana, Splatoon 3, SSHD...
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

As someone who has a backlog of like 10 games on the switch alone, I thought the direct was fine. I was already excited for SM3DW, Crash 4 and Cyber Shadow in 2021, and can now add the Saga and Mana remasters to that list, and for the first time ever, a bit on interest in a Monster Hunter Title. I also appreciate the chance to check out Fall Guys and Outer Wilds. Heck, as a lover of level-based design I might even check out Skyward Sword, I heard good things about that games dungeons.

As someone who liked God of War Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, is the Ninja Gaiden collection something that could be for me, or is it a wholly different beast?
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Truk_Kurt wrote: February 18th, 2021, 9:46 am https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/17/signific ... -14096541/

There are rumours that they have more to announce over the next 4 weeks so there is hope of more Zelda stuff and more.
Seems pretty weird to have such a mediocre Direct just to announce a bunch more stuff a few weeks later, especially after how long we waited for it. Either announce now, and generate some actual excitement, or wait a few weeks for the direct. It's not like they announced anything that's releasing in the next month or so anyway. Then again, I haven't exactly been impressed with Nintendo's marketing department over the last couple of years anyway, so I suppose I would believe it.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I immediately downloaded the Project Triangle Strategy demo. Looks intriguing! And same for Capcom Arcade because I’m their number one fan and I can’t resist! I’ve never played Skyward Sword but on the basis it will be full price I’ll probably be happy to ride the new hype by playing the original when it arrives. I’m a sucker for Mario Golf though, and the Ninja Gaiden set looks good too. I’ve no interest in Smash or Splatoon, and most of the rest wasn’t for me, but if I look at number of games I’m excited about rather than the time they spent talking about things I’m not, I’m pretty happy with that Direct.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

stvnorman wrote: February 18th, 2021, 9:11 pm I immediately downloaded the Project Triangle Strategy demo. Looks intriguing!
This is what I'm excited about too! I'm hoping it will scratch that "Fire Emblem" itch. I'm going to play the demo tonight.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I'm completely fed up with Japan and Asia getting physical releases while we get only digital.

There's no reason not to release physically in the West if a physical is already being done and the translation is finished.

I swear pc gaming (Primarily steam) has done more damage to the industry than EA, Rockstar and any shady business practices combined.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

ThirdDrawing wrote: February 18th, 2021, 12:25 am That Direct was utter dogshit.
I played the Project Triangle Tactics demo and I say to you: No. You are wrong.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Flabyo wrote: February 19th, 2021, 8:35 am
ThirdDrawing wrote: February 18th, 2021, 12:25 am That Direct was utter dogshit.
One really great looking game that won't be out for over a year is not enough to save it in my eyes.
Necromas

Post by Necromas »

Super pumped for BDII but the only thing the new trailer really gives is just more of a taste of the awesome music.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Flabyo wrote: February 19th, 2021, 8:35 am

One game doesn't equal a great Direct.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Of the games shown, I'm interested in:

Fall Guys Ultimate Knockout
Capcom Arcade
Mario Golf
Skyward Sword (not at full price. Have the original on Wii if I'm desperate to play it before it hits a sale)
The Outer Wilds
Ninja Gaiden
Star Wars Hunters (it's free, I'll give it a go)
Apex Legends

Disco Elysium is on the way too, so looking forward to that. I'm not definitely going to buy all of the above, but those are the ones I'd consider.
NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

I mean... I'm excited to play the Famicom Detective Club duology, though I wish it could be purchased in a physical copy outside of Japan.

(Also No More Heroes III continues to look like something that will kill my already dead social life, but that's not quite a surprise considering my username.)
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Genuine question - why do Japanese Game devs insist on coming up with the absolute worst names for their RPGs?

It's kind of a gaming pet hate of mine. Do they actually want them to sell or...?

'Triangle Strategy' is a long way from the worst I've heard, but it still blows. Game looks decent, but man - change that awful name!
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Haha my friend who works for Square Enix UK was the one who told me to try the demo but told me to ignore the terrible name!! I think the demo said the name might change, so maybe it will get better.

I guess a lot of countries' organisations have a habit of naming something in a foreign language because it sounds/looks cool even when the title they've decided on doesn't make a lot of sense. The UK definitely has a habit of doing this when naming stuff using Japanese. My Japanese colleague always creased when she saw the Japanese translation on Superdry clothes because "it sounds so weird".

At my old job I would sometimes query English titles for things that were pre-decided before they landed on my desk and I would be told the titles had already been decided and couldn't be changed, even if they sounded odd to an English speaker or were grammatically incorrect. (I was translating at a Japanese organisation, but not a games company).
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

KissMammal wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 10:30 pm Genuine question - why do Japanese Game devs insist on coming up with the absolute worst names for their RPGs?

It's kind of a gaming pet hate of mine. Do they actually want them to sell or...?

'Triangle Strategy' is a long way from the worst I've heard, but it still blows. Game looks decent, but man - change that awful name!
It's a working title.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

ratsoalbion wrote: February 24th, 2021, 9:05 am
KissMammal wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 10:30 pm Genuine question - why do Japanese Game devs insist on coming up with the absolute worst names for their RPGs?

It's a working title.
So was "Octopath Traveler"...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

JadePhoenix wrote: February 24th, 2021, 1:15 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: February 24th, 2021, 9:05 am

It's a working title.
So was "Octopath Traveler"...
I like that title.
:D
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I don't expect it to change as it's been announced now and has built up some hype, as was the case with Octopath Traveler.

'Bravely Default' is equally crummy. It's like they come up with the titles by picking two words at random from a dictionary and mashing them together.
Necromas

Post by Necromas »

KissMammal wrote: February 24th, 2021, 6:29 pm I don't expect it to change as it's been announced now and has built up some hype, as was the case with Octopath Traveler.

'Bravely Default' is equally crummy. It's like they come up with the titles by picking two words at random from a dictionary and mashing them together.
I do appreciate what they did with...
Spoiler: show
The subtitle: where the fairy flies
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Final Fantasy is just as barmy for a title