The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KissMammal

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by KissMammal »

How did the Switch port of Dark Souls get through QA testing?

The fact that it immediately force quits your game and boots you back to the menu screen (and, weirdly, repeatedly makes you click through a T&C disclaimer) if you dare to put your Switch in sleep mode pretty much breaks the game for me as I play exclusively in handheld mode. And the bizarre decision to swap the established Switch assignments of the A/B buttons to confirm/back sounds admittedly like a petty nitpick, but in the case of Dark Souls (a game that goes out of its way to generally wrongfoot and frustrate with it's already clunky UI, unconventional control scheme and lack of pause menu) makes the experience of playing it unnecessarily obtuse for new players like myself.

No joke, my initial reaction to first starting the game was 'man, even navigating the menus in this game is difficult'.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

KissMammal wrote: October 24th, 2018, 5:35 pm The fact that it immediately force quits your game and boots you back to the menu screen (and, weirdly, repeatedly makes you click through a T&C disclaimer) if you dare to put your Switch in sleep mode pretty much breaks the game for me as I play exclusively in handheld mode.
Well, one of the series' signature design decisions is the lack of a conventional pause function. Sleep mode would be a de facto pause function that the game isn't built around, so I don't think that the force quitting qualifies as a QA oversight. Bypassing the core ethos through a hardware technicality would do more harm than good, I think.

If you need to take a break, just quit to the main menu and reload when you get back. Works like a charm in every version of the game. :)
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

And the button swapping is necessary because if it were the other way around, you would screw all of the existing players' muscle memory and would make it virtually impossible to hold run and move the right stick all to slavishly follow Nintendo's default button configuration which simply doesn't fit Dark Souls.

Trust me, they've got it the right way around.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: October 24th, 2018, 6:04 pm And the button swapping is necessary because if it were the other way around, you would screw all of the existing players' muscle memory and would make it virtually impossible to hold run and move the right stick all to slavishly follow Nintendo's default button configuration which simply doesn't fit Dark Souls.
Well to be fair, I think it should technically be possible to invert the button mapping in order to follow the Nintendo convention for the menus only, while keeping the actual gameplay interface intact, no? At least as an option.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It should be an option but I think that would be more confusing to have to process both, personally. But I am getting on a bit :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

?
Suits

Post by Suits »

:lol:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Haha, I'm not angry!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Looks like Capcom are bringing some of their Resident Evil games to the Switch in 2019.

So far they’ve only mentioned 1, Zero and 4, with more news to come.

I’m pretty sure it was Sean who called for 4 to be on Switch during the podcast - so there you go pal !
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Sure, I could always use a seventh copy of RE4! :lol:

Real talk: If they somehow decide to put a bit of effort into these and manage to rectify all the control quirks / bugs / inconsistencies of the PS4 / XBO versions, those could very well end up being the ultimate versions of the games. Which would be sweeet. RE4 in particular is in dire need of an ideal version.

Not holding my breath, though.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, I suppose we’ll have to keep an ear out as to what versions or what they’re thinking of/not doing to any of them.

I expect them to be digital versions but I’d like a physical version similar to the Revelations bundle they did last year.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Very confident in predicting that these will essentially be low effort/low cost ports of the Xbox One versions.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ratsoalbion wrote: October 26th, 2018, 4:53 pm Very confident in predicting that these will essentially be low effort/low cost ports of the Xbox One versions.
Same here, although I do hold out hope for a 30fps mode in order to accommodate the Switch's portable functionality.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Is it safe to assume that this will be the remake of the first resident evil? I hope so - that's been on my 'to play' list for 10+ years.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

KissMammal wrote: October 26th, 2018, 5:30 pm Is it safe to assume that this will be the remake of the first resident evil?
Yes, 100%.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Undoubtedly this will be the ‘HD’ version of the 2002 game.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Another, Smash Direct coming this Thursday at 2PM.

I honestly don't know how much more they can say about this game, it's reportedly 40 minutes long as well.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Look, Nintendo. Everybody who might be even remotely interested in Smash has already more than enough information to make a purchasing decision.

Give us a simple screenshot of Prime 4 instead!
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 30th, 2018, 6:53 pm Look, Nintendo. Everybody who might be even remotely interested in Smash has already more than enough information to make a purchasing decision.

Give us a simple screenshot of Prime 4 instead!
Yeah, this to be honest.

I can only guess that Sakurai feels like he has to get more messages across about the depth/detail of the game to make people more informed about this entry.

Or, it has some sort of vast single player aspect to it that needs to be shown.

Dunno, meh.

When the rumours over a Direct this week were bobbing to the top of social media this morning, it did get me daydreaming for a while over some news on a few upcoming games;
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Yoshi's Crafted World
  • Animal Crossing
Then the news came that there was a Direct, just that it was going to be the third SSB Direct :| .
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I'd be willing to bet that this will primarily be focused on an extensive singleplayer mode. It's the last piece of the puzzle.