The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Nintendo Wii U

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes, mine too. I have a shed-load of WiiWare & VC stuff so those Pikmin are gonna work it!
:twisted:
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

ratsoalbion wrote:Yes, mine too. I have a shed-load of WiiWare & VC stuff so those Pikmin are gonna work it!
:twisted:
Ditto. I have three pages of "channels". I check yesterday and ended up playing Kirby's Dream Course and Mario Party 2 all day.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

If I recall correctly, I have four or five pages of things. I would've figured that the transfer process would allow for registering your Wii and its purchases with the WiiU and then redownloading from there, with maybe save data coming across on SD cards, but I'm probably missing something.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

@Roy it does that plus copies any content you have downloaded on the Wii.

I lost my save game data (Wii HDD corruption) and so only have my redownloaded games and a handful of saved content so it should be a bit quicker for me.

I think the speed issue is due to the Wiis slow write speed for SD cards.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

At least it's a lot faster than it originally was; but if you were to, say, erase all the actual content and keep the save data, does the transfer allow you to just redownload all the games you've purchased onto your WiiU? That's what I'm curious about.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Does anybody know if the Wii store is still accessible from the WiiU? I'm sure that stuff would all be available again eventually but I'm wondering if I should grab any virtual console stuff I might want before I do my transfer...?
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I hope someone takes a whole unboxing and setting up photo diary of their Wii U and posts it here. It's as close as I'm going to get to one for a while :(
James

Post by James »

I honestly don't know if I have anything downloaded to Wii. I should probably check before tomorrow. Got to make sure this once-and-done transfer nonsense goes well or I'll be screwed.
I sincerely hope Nintendo find a better way to handle purchases in the future. It actually puts me off buying anything from VC, Wiiware, etc.

That gripe aside, I can't wait for the WiiU to arrive. Still no shipping notice from ShopTo though. :-(
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

NokkonWud wrote:I hope someone takes a whole unboxing and setting up photo diary of their Wii U and posts it here. It's as close as I'm going to get to one for a while :(
Ask and it shall be done. ;)
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

PressEscToExit wrote:Does anybody know if the Wii store is still accessible from the WiiU? I'm sure that stuff would all be available again eventually but I'm wondering if I should grab any virtual console stuff I might want before I do my transfer...?
Yes it is. After you transfer you can redownload anything you previously purchased.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Xantiriad wrote:
PressEscToExit wrote:Does anybody know if the Wii store is still accessible from the WiiU? I'm sure that stuff would all be available again eventually but I'm wondering if I should grab any virtual console stuff I might want before I do my transfer...?
Yes it is. After you transfer you can redownload anything you previously purchased.
But will I still be able to purchase Wii Virtual Console stuff I don't already own? That is to say, will the emulated "Wii mode" still have a functioning Wii Shop Channel?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

PressEscToExit wrote:But will I still be able to purchase Wii Virtual Console stuff I don't already own? That is to say, will the emulated "Wii mode" still have a functioning Wii Shop Channel?
According to what I just heard on Giant Bomb - yes it does.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

I didn't take pictures of everything, but I posted some unboxing photos to Twitter.

That update does NOT take as long as Americans are complaining about; they're just spoiled by their fast Internet. It's an hour total, beginning of the download to the end of the updating process.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Roy42 wrote:That update does NOT take as long as Americans are complaining about; they're just spoiled by their fast Internet. It's an hour total, beginning of the download to the end of the updating process.
My download's been going for over an hour and it's less than halfway done on a 30MB connection :? I guess most of the Europeans are home from work now and all trying to update at the same time.

Edit: Download just failed. Think folk have been saying it'll pick up from where it left off though.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Yikes! Might have to do mine at 0300am or something.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

It took about another 45 minutes to finish downloading but we got there in the end. Initial impressions are overwhelmingly positive 8-)

I'm PressEscToExit on there if anybody wants to add me. Just make sure you do it through Miiverse otherwise it doesn't send the other person a request.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

I had no end of trouble getting it to work on WiFi. There is a bug in the DCHP client software which means for some routers (I haver a Sky Hub) it needs a static IP Address. 3DS works fine I should add.

I have tried for 2 hours to start the Update. I've given up now. The most it manages is around 1 minute before a random error code (one of about 7 it has thrown).
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

That sounds awful, seems like such an obvious thing to get right but Nintendo make it difficult again.
I'd heard horror stories about the length of time it took to download but it seems the issue seems to be more that you can't get it to start at all. Sorry to hear that guys, hopefully you have more luck in the morning Gary.
I hope Wi-Fi is the only outdated, poorly implemented OS feature of the console Eastern Networking/OS development really does seem to be problematic and poorly designed at best at times.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I dreamt that I'd bought a Wii U, then I woke up and didn't have a Wii U.
:cry:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I went Wii U window shopping earlier, most places had sold out of the 32GB and had the 8GB in stock. Think Nintendo might have underestimated the demand unless they're expecting the sheep parents to pick up the 8GB for Christmas.