The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Alex79 »

raisinbman wrote: October 1st, 2020, 11:57 pm Welp, if you doubted the microsoft/nintendo relationship previously, the handshake just got a bit more firm
What have I missed...?

EDIT: Oh, the Minecraft guy in Smash?
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

Correct. That's the second M$ property, and (put on your conspiracy theory hats) they had to redesign every stage to make MineBoy work. Don't know whether that's Nintendo's perfectionism, Sakurai's tendency to overwork himself, or a mix of both. Wow.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm currently on the lookout for a second pair of official Nintendo Joycons. I thought there might be a sale today on Prime day, but doesn't seem so. If anyone happens to come across an official pair at a lower price than the standard £65 online, a shout over would be much appreciated. Thanks :)
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Alex79uk wrote: October 13th, 2020, 9:49 am I'm currently on the lookout for a second pair of official Nintendo Joycons. I thought there might be a sale today on Prime day, but doesn't seem so. If anyone happens to come across an official pair at a lower price than the standard £65 online, a shout over would be much appreciated. Thanks :)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353140305357?var=0

https://www.g2a.com/nintendo-switch-joy ... 0207101001

Those ones on ebay are only £35 which seems too good to be true but it says it is from the Currys official store so idk. Maybe people hate the colour yellow lol
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

I purchased a brand new and unopened Wii U earlier today for 70 quid in a random toy store that the wet weather had forced me into.

There was a beautiful moment of mutual self interest between the store owner and I. He could barely contain his self-satisfied grin at finally offloading his final, ill-fated Nintendo 'failure'. And I was struggling under the emotional weight of too much bargain.

It's a wonderful console. Currently the only home of The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess in HD and of course Virtual Console is still fighting the good fight.

I understand that they can be cracked open and turned into a homebrew emulation behemoth but I think I'll keep this one pure.

I'm currently playing Breath of the Wild. I'd almost forgotten that it began life as a Wii U title. It's typical of Nintendo that the greatest game of the current generation is also the greatest of the last generation too.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That's a great price for a lovely machine.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

See Mi Yah wrote: October 21st, 2020, 8:06 pm I purchased a brand new and unopened Wii U earlier today for 70 quid in a random toy store that the wet weather had forced me into.
Nice story and great username. I'm a big fan of Basic Channel/Rhythm & Sound!
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

Marlew wrote: October 21st, 2020, 9:16 pm
See Mi Yah wrote: October 21st, 2020, 8:06 pm I purchased a brand new and unopened Wii U earlier today for 70 quid in a random toy store that the wet weather had forced me into.
Nice story and great username. I'm a big fan of Basic Channel/Rhythm & Sound!
Well spotted! I'm just happy to finally have an opportunity to use it. In most cases someone has already gotten their first.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

The Wii U is an amazing machine especially when you factor in the virtual console and that the entire Wii back catalogue is at your disposal!
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/f ... ht-switch/

On one hand, I'm super happy that they're doing this, it's really cool and I will definitely get it. On the other hand, The the DS version already felt like it hadn't aged well when it came out 11 years ago, and that was a full remake, so actually playing it could be rough. It's probably too much to hope, but I really want this to be a test run for similar treatments of 3, 4, 5, and 6.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

There was a beautiful moment of mutual self interest between the store owner and I. He could barely contain his self-satisfied grin at finally offloading his final, ill-fated Nintendo 'failure'. And I was struggling under the emotional weight of too much bargain.

It's a wonderful console. Currently the only home of The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess in HD and of course Virtual Console is still fighting the good fight.

I understand that they can be cracked open and turned into a homebrew emulation behemoth but I think I'll keep this one pure.

I'm currently playing Breath of the Wild. I'd almost forgotten that it began life as a Wii U title. It's typical of Nintendo that the greatest game of the current generation is also the greatest of the last generation too.
Enjoy! There's still a handful of great games on it that aren't on Switch.

Off the top of my head... Affordable Space Adventures, ZombiU, Fatal Frame, Nintendoland, Deux Ex, Starfox Zero...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I wish they'd put that Zombi game on Switch actually, I'd forgotten about that. Played some on PS4 and enjoyed it.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

JadePhoenix wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 3:26 pm https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/f ... ht-switch/

On one hand, I'm super happy that they're doing this, it's really cool and I will definitely get it. On the other hand, The the DS version already felt like it hadn't aged well when it came out 11 years ago, and that was a full remake, so actually playing it could be rough. It's probably too much to hope, but I really want this to be a test run for similar treatments of 3, 4, 5, and 6.
Please do this. I would vow to never complain about nintendo ever again(maybe).

~~~

They'd have to change the name to zombiswitch, cmon now, don't be unreasonable folks - that's impossible!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Alex79uk wrote: October 27th, 2020, 11:53 pm I wish they'd put that Zombi game on Switch actually, I'd forgotten about that. Played some on PS4 and enjoyed it.
The second screen made it well worth playing on that particular machine. Added a new dynamic to it.

I think similarly Deux Ex, the Arkham ports and Rayman Legends also had facets to the gameplay on there that made them better experiences on this platform compared to others.

And whilst I'm sure Pikmin 3 will be a good port and think Splatoon 2 is great, the control scheme the Wii U had for the latters original form and the formers combo of a control method using a Wii set up won't be beaten.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

I doubt that anybody is surprised at this point that Bravely Default II isn't coming this year, but they sure took their time admitting it.

I definitely wasn't expecting a new Story of Seasons game so soon after the Mineral Town remake, but I'm totally here for it. I couldn't help but notice a number of things in that trailer that looked like they were copied straight from Stardew Valley, which can only be a good thing.

The Age of Calamity demo was leaked a few days ago, but I'm looking forward to trying it out, and the Warriors/Muso genre is niche enough that a demo is important so that people can figure out if its something they like or not.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Interesting - Hitman 3 and Control on Switch!?
Spoiler: show
"Cloud versions..."
Still, interesting to see if a) they release over here, and b) how well the technology works. If its good, I wouldn't mind playing that way.

Also, Part Time UFO is a mobile game I've had for ages, but it's fun, although £8 is a little steep. I'd pay £3 in a sale in a few months.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

They are coming out in the UK - you can try out Control right now in fact.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Crimzon Clover: World EXplosion tomorrow, gents.

Instantly the greatest shmup on the Switch, I reckon.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Really happy about the No More Heroes ports. I've been hoping they would show up at some point. Good to get them off being trapped on the Wii. At least with the second game anyway. I'll be interested to see exactly how well they run too. Not really any reason to doubt they'll be fine, but I'd still like to know the info. And I would hope for a physical bundle too at some point.

Oh, and Oceanhorn 2 came out on the eShop today as well. Another one I've been looking forward to. Also one I want to find out how it performs before I put money down though. There's more reason to suspect that one might be less than perfect, although the trailer looks pretty good so far.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: October 28th, 2020, 5:26 pm They are coming out in the UK - you can try out Control right now in fact.
Queues of over 1000 when I tried... I'll leave it a few days. On one hand, this might be a nice way to play stuff on handheld that we wouldn't otherwise be able to. On the other, if its well received, it could spell disaster for us getting such technical feats as The Witcher 3 on Switch, as devs go for the easy streaming option rather than trying to get games to work on the console.