The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Suits »

I had a quick blast before work this morning and Mario World seems nice at a quick glance.

All other plans for tonight are now set aside.

I’m playing Super Mario World on my Switch.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's a really solid selection of games too. Some all time classics along with several I've never played but look great. Just loving Mario Kart still at the moment. Can't wait to show my eldest the battle mode. Every time we play the Switch version I keep saying to him the old one is the best!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Suits wrote: September 6th, 2019, 3:55 pm I had a quick blast before work this morning and Mario World seems nice at a quick glance.

All other plans for tonight are now set aside.

I’m playing Super Mario World on my Switch.
Can you play the SNES/NES games offline?, taking the Switch on holiday so in the fantasy land where I get 4 minutes to myself I will be playing Stunt Race FX by the pool
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

You could with the NES games definitely 100%, I played at work with no connection loads of times.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, I should think so, unless the SNES app is different.

I played the NES one offline on the plane perfectly.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

NES and SNES games will no longer be given out monthly.

https://mynintendonews.com/2019/09/06/n ... d-monthly/

Oh Nintendo. Give with one hand, punch you in the face with the other.

:lol:

"There's your fucking SNES games, now shut up..."
Suits

Post by Suits »

I read that’s it’s because there simply aren’t enough Super Nintendo first party games that they can give away for free in that manner, certainly not three a month like the NES.

An awful lot of stuff on the SNES was third party and it’s too weird, or sometimes just impossible to sort the rights out to most of them.

Sadly.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Yeah I don't think that's a bad thing really. There are some serious heavy hitters in the initial list, with this Nintendo Online has pretty much surpassed PS Plus for me free games wise for sure, and it's less than half the price. For how long, who knows. To get the odd SNES game from this point would be a nice bonus.

I presume the new SNES pads work with the NES games?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm playing Yoshi's Island on the Switch (the SNES original) and the game seems to be noticeably faster and more responsive than I remember it! It's surely my mind playing tricks on me? Mario Kart didn't seem quicker, just this one so far. Weird.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

NTSC rather than PAL ROMs.

You know, that thing we always bang on about on the podcast? Our games were usually between 15 and 20% slower in the UK.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

There's a podcast?

:lol:

Oh yeah, I did actually think that after I posted, haha. It's quite weird playing them after all these years so much quicker. You wouldn't think 20% would make so much difference!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Huge difference.

The immediate giveaway is the music and borders, although games with constant moving radials, like Yoshi’s Island’s egg throwing, or racing games the NTSC versions will feel like a turbo version.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s why we bang on about it so much. In hindsight it really, really fucking sucked how many bullshit versions of amazing games we got - right up to the Wii VC era too.

As I’ve said before, a really good way to experience the difference is via the Sega Vintage Collection Streets of Rage trilogy, where you can switch between the ROMs.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Streets of Rage 2 had optimisation work done to the PAL version to remove any slowdown from regional differences - so it runs and sounds the same as the NTSC version.

Version differences though, like SoR3 are criminal. Ripped the guts out of the game with the changes.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It’s what make sure it super frustrating that there’s a bunch of Pal Megadrive games that are region locked.’ Have Thuderforce 4, and it’s amazing still, but it only runs (even on my Analogue Sg) in pal mode.

(The pal release of Streets of Rage 2 is kinda odd, it won’t run if the console is set to USA NTSC, brings up a ‘not for sale in the us’ message, but if you switch the console to Japanese NTSC it plays fine, albeit as Bare Knuckle 2)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Fortunately the Switch version of Thunderforce IV now exists!

PAL SoR2 may have been somewhat optimised, Suits, but it’s still not 100% there by feel. Obviously it goes without saying that I adored and was quite happy with the PAL version back in the day, but it’s not even just the responsiveness and the audio, it’s also the distorted graphics.

Some EU developed games of the era embraced PAL fully as we know, but even optimised converted US/JPN titles were seldom, if ever 1:1 in all aspects.
Suits

Post by Suits »

It would certainly be interesting to take the Pepsi challenge with it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I’d absolutely back myself in any PAL:NTSC Pepsi challenge! 😁
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

The volume and selection of the SNES games is better than I could have possibly hoped. Yoshi's Island! Mario World! Super Metroid! Link to the Past! Pilotwings! I'm thrilled, honestly. Wonder if they'll be doing anything unexpected like they did with the NES games (the special version of Zelda etc)?

I now officially have too many Switch games to play :lol:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Real talk, I wish Nintendo would take the opportunity to re-release games that people may not have had the chance to play in the past (due to regional lockout or licensing issues) instead of the same Super Metroid, LttP and Super Mario World that everybody has played already, as fantastic as they are.

Terranigma comes to mind, for example. I don't think it was originally released in NA on SNES or on any Virtual Console line-up since, although someone please correct me if I'm wrong.