The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
dezm0nd

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by dezm0nd » September 14th, 2018, 4:28 am

I’m probably reading too much into it but the short trailer for LM3 shows a really tall mansion behind the logo indicating that it’s going to be one massive mansion rather than progressing back and forth. Either way I’m very excited!

Suits

Post by Suits » September 14th, 2018, 7:06 am

Well, personally I thought that went really well last night. Better than Nintendo’s E3 presentation anyway.

All the clues were there when you look back at it, the re-master of the first game, the beautiful cut SSB cut-scene with Luigi in a mansion with a new Poltergust but a new Luigi's Mansion is coming - which I'm very pleased with.

Bowser’s Inside Story being re-mastered for the 3DS is cool and continues the trend and touching up the M&L series and adding a few bits onto it.

City Skylines, I thought looked choppy as hell and even if I was tempted by it on Switch – I might have been put off it by seeing how framey it looked in the video.

The Animal Crossing announcement was a proper wind up – I was up, then I was down, then I was angry then I was relieved. Not sure if it was a good experience or not really :lol: . Overall though it’s a big positive I feel, albeit we don’t know anything about it – after all, this could end up being amiibo Festival 2……..

New Super Mario Bros. U is a nice touch, again it’s another port of a Wii U game, a good game that not a lot of people actually played. I know a few people who are new to consoles again since the PS2, who have plumped for a Switch and are thirsty for a classic 2D Mario game – this will quench that I’m sure.

I’ll buy and play through this again I’m sure – even if it’s just for world 5.

A little bit more of Daemon X Machina, which was welcome and I’m interested to play.

Yoshi’s Crafted World is a clear winner for me, something we knew was coming and now we have a Spring release date for a game that was originally slated for this year and missed.

The slight flash of Metroid on the NES was re-assuring and upon further digging around it seems that that will be joining the service in November. The £17.99 a year subscription may seem like a bit of a liberty considering there’s still no headset voice chat but I think there is substantial value in having that NES catalogue available to players that would be interested in it. If people are not, then yes, the £18 won’t seem worth it – so I suppose people won’t get it, you don’t have to after all.

Then there’s the NES themed Joy-Con esc controllers, that are available to online subscribers only, which on the surface seems odd.

However, there will be extremely reduced functionality of these classic controllers for people that don’t have the NES library – so by gating them behind the fact that you essentially can only use them if you have the NES games, makes sense in a roundabout way.

Imaging the drama online if little Timmy bought these but couldn’t use them with his favourite Mario Odyssey game, even if it said it on the box. These are for the NES classic only, simple as that.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » September 14th, 2018, 8:18 am

Lots for me to love about that Direct too.

Just one note about NSMBU Suits; that and Luigi actually sold nearly 10 million copies!

Suits

Post by Suits » September 14th, 2018, 8:24 am

ratsoalbion wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 8:18 am
Just one note about NSMBU Suits; that and Luigi actually sold nearly 10 million copies!
Haha, just slightly off with my 'No-body played it' remark then :lol: .

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » September 14th, 2018, 11:43 am

Looking forward to the Final Fantasys arrival on Switch.

Never given IX or X a decent shot

Been meaning to give XV another go too so might try the pocket one once I look into how different it is.

Craig

Post by Craig » September 14th, 2018, 11:48 am

The NSMB games are one of those games which has a weird online bubble - the conversation seems to be generally negative or apathetic, but they consistently sell boatloads. Usually more than their 3D counterparts. And I’d imagine the costs to make them are pretty cheap!

Really happy with the direct and all the announcements. I reckon Nintendo online will be pretty good. I predict that this time next year (just around when those annual subscriptions are due to expire) they’re going to pull out SNES games are coming!

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » September 14th, 2018, 12:03 pm

I’m actually more likely to play these Final Fantasy releases on XBO for some reason.

Suits

Post by Suits » September 14th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Flabyo wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 12:03 pm
I’m actually more likely to play these Final Fantasy releases on XBO for some reason.
Achievements ??

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » September 14th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Probably. Heh.

Suits

Post by Suits » September 14th, 2018, 1:57 pm

I used to be like that as well.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » September 14th, 2018, 2:13 pm

I mean, these are all games I’ve played before that I probably wouldn’t care to play again normally anyway.

Suits

Post by Suits » September 14th, 2018, 2:15 pm

The achievements are cool though, especially with games you're already familiar with.

It's fun to see what they are and tick them off. I get that completely.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 14th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Craig wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 11:48 am
The NSMB games are one of those games which has a weird online bubble - the conversation seems to be generally negative or apathetic, but they consistently sell boatloads. Usually more than their 3D counterparts. And I’d imagine the costs to make them are pretty cheap!
If you ever hear people talking about ranking the Mario games, New Super Mario Bros Wii-U is widely regarded as one of the greatest 2D Mario's ever made. It kind of gets lumped in with the other 'New' 2D games, but most people I've heard enthuse about it say its more on par with SMW on the SNES.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » September 14th, 2018, 3:41 pm

I agree, both the Wii and Wii U NSMB games are masterclasses in 2D platformer level design. The original DS game was pretty excellent too.

Unfortunately, for many, they are dragged down by that slightly anodyne art style I think. Along with, perhaps, their frequency of release?

I certainly feel more affection for SMB3, SMW and YI, but if you just want to play some top tier 2D Mario platforming, the New games (bar apparently NSMB2 which I haven't played and is sub-par according to many) are bloody fine by my reckoning.

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » September 14th, 2018, 10:04 pm

I would have bought those NES Joy-con's in a second (even with reduced functionality)... if only I didn't have to subscribe. And I don't see much to like about this subscription service - it feels like Nintendo thinks it's client base is incredibly untrustworthy, and they need to police and control how they experience they're products.

Oh Nintendo... why do you make it soooo hard for me to like you?

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » September 15th, 2018, 5:59 am

I thought it was a good 'statement' Direct. Nothing that I'm massively popping a boner for but I like the cut of this particular Nintendo jib. New fan fave and slightly niche stuff announced, and Yoshi in particular looks very creative compared to the meagre gruel that was Kirby Star Allies. They seem to have a spring in their step again after E3, the mild sales of Labo and a few middling Nindies presentations.

I will definitely be buying FF7 and it's probably time to finally try the other FFs my bro has been suggesting for a good few years. I reckon I can definitely do JRPGs on the Switch, there just haven't been any very good ones yet. The slightly antiquated PS1 & PS2 graphics will probably look better on the handheld screen, too.

Daemon X Machina will probably be my first mech game, so I can see what all the fuss is about. A kind of mecha Monster Hunter would be bloody amazing, salvaging scrap from giant robots to get tooled up and take down bigger and badder robots. I've no idea if this is how the game is but if not, someone else can just do that.

Splatoon and Tennis Aces updates look promising. The latter has a kernel of genius in its DNA, but it's been gene spliced with a dog shit. I really hope they can extract its essential oils and refashion it into a bright and fragrant candle. Shame that ARMS is clearly well and truly finished, but I expected as much.

I don't know anything about Diablo 3 or Civ VI but people seem excited about them. I've never really been a PC gamer so I have no context. I'll keep an eye out for reviews, definitely. Katamari I'll be picking up. Never played any before so I reckon that'll be a good entry to the series (and hopefully a future C&R episode).

Not sure how I feel about NSMBUD. I didn't get past the first world on the Wii U because it seemed dull and uninspired, but then I heard so many people I respect saying it's absolutely brilliant once it gets going and that the homogenised by-numbers visuals belie a superb game beneath the surface.

I'm really just praying that M2 are able to get past their current technical difficulties in porting the likes of Ketsui over to the Switch. Apparently, they've identified a few technical obstacles which are proving to be a problem and they won't port anything if they can't do a perfect job. I do respect that.

Suits

Post by Suits » September 15th, 2018, 6:32 am

Joshihatsumitsu wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 10:04 pm
I would have bought those NES Joy-con's in a second (even with reduced functionality)... if only I didn't have to subscribe. And I don't see much to like about this subscription service - it feels like Nintendo thinks it's client base is incredibly untrustworthy, and they need to police and control how they experience they're products.

But if you bought them and didn’t have any of the NES games, what would you use them for ??

I’m not sure that they have any sort of functionality at all outside of the NES library.

Besides, if you want them that bad just subscribe for a month £3.49.

I wonder if the pre-requisite of being a member is so that members actually have the chance of getting a set upon release.

Suits

Post by Suits » September 15th, 2018, 6:42 am

Stanshall wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 5:59 am
Daemon X Machina will probably be my first mech game, so I can see what all the fuss is about. A kind of mecha Monster Hunter would be bloody amazing, salvaging scrap from giant robots to get tooled up and take down bigger and badder robots. I've no idea if this is how the game is but if not, someone else can just do that.
Yeah, I must say, I’m looking forward to this too.

The whole Moon dying and Earth turning to mush sounds cool and the on the field upgrades and garage capacity to tweak your mech looks fun.

I’ll well up for this.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » September 15th, 2018, 3:36 pm

+1 to New Super Mario Bros U being excellent

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » September 15th, 2018, 9:04 pm

Suits wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 6:32 am
Joshihatsumitsu wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 10:04 pm

But if you bought them and didn’t have any of the NES games, what would you use them for ??

I’m not sure that they have any sort of functionality at all outside of the NES library.

Besides, if you want them that bad just subscribe for a month £3.49.

I wonder if the pre-requisite of being a member is so that members actually have the chance of getting a set upon release.
You have a point. But I do already have a NES mini, so there’s not really much benefit to the service at all.