Mortal Kombat 11

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Mortal Kombat 11

Post by Flabyo »

Looks pretty good. Story continues directly from the end of mkx, has character customisation that looks to be very similar to Injustice 2 (though they said nothing about how you get the parts, no mention of loot boxes or anything).

Ronda Rousey is voicing Sonya Blade. Lots of returning characters, some new ones.

Two meters though, one for offensive moves and one for defensive. Going to need to see more of that to know how it works, but it feels like you’re going to be spending different meter to do Breakers and X-Ray moves. So you don’t lose one option by doing the other. Hmm.

Here’s the gameplay reveal trailer anyway (I’ll replace it with a higher res one when netherrealm get around to uploading it themselves instead of this stream recording)

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just had two matches and it is superb.

I managed a Brutality in the first match with Baraka, decapitating the other guy with a cactus.

2nd game won with a fatality with the new player.
James

Post by James »

Oh, I must've misheard, I thought Ed said the story continued directly after MK9.

7 characters in the build on display at the event, but that doesn't include Shao Khan (pre-order bonus character),and I dare say there were a few playable characters amongst those we saw in the opening trailer and story cutscene (Shinnok, Kronika).

Very intrigued by the custom character variation (Kustom Kharakter Variation? ;-) ) being in addition to two stock character variations.
Suits

Post by Suits »

DomsBeard wrote: January 17th, 2019, 7:57 pm ..........decapitating the other guy with a cactus.
I’m in.
James

Post by James »

Busy doing Lord Raiden's work, Domsbeard!

Sounded like Baraka got a heck of a response from the LA crowd, unsurprisingly.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think he misspoke when he said it follows mk9, the scene they showed was basically an extended version of the post credits stinger from the end of the mkx story mode.

Watching Ketchup and Mustard play showed a lot more about what the game can do. Meter burn on attacks (for ex versions) definitely drains the ‘sword’ gauge, and you can burn throws like you could in X.

When the US event gets around to doing their pro player matches I’m hoping for some Sonic Fox play :) (because let’s be honest, if they’ve given them a whole day, he’ll have found something broken already)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

James wrote: January 17th, 2019, 8:11 pm Oh, I must've misheard, I thought Ed said the story continued directly after MK9.

7 characters in the build on display at the event, but that doesn't include Shao Khan (pre-order bonus character),and I dare say there were a few playable characters amongst those we saw in the opening trailer and story cutscene (Shinnok, Kronika).

Very intrigued by the custom character variation (Kustom Kharakter Variation? ;-) ) being in addition to two stock character variations.
I heard 9 too he didnt correct the guy who said 10.

Played 8 won 8. In the 8 was a youtuber who had a friend streaming it on facebook live!!!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The US stream is running a pro player exhibition now with players from the Injustice pro series. Currently Hayatei is rolling Honeybee.

Meter build is automatic, you don’t build it by doing moves or getting hit, they’re just on a timer.

The x-ray affect bonus damage comes from landing your normals in a particular way, for example one move might do it if you land it as a counter, another if you land it twice in a combo etc...

There’s a short hop a la KoF.

You have specific wake up attacks that use the defence meter, so no wake up specials, supers etc...
James

Post by James »

Nice work, Domsbeard!

Glad to see that the pro matches are on the US stream now that the celeb matches have started on the UK one. A giant bunch of people I've never heard of shuffling around a stage whilst being introduced was a tab boring, to be honest. Hayatei vs Honeybee on the Netherealm stream though. :D
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Each character has 5 of those x-ray style crushing blows, and you can only use each one once per match, so you need to be aware of what triggers them to best use them.

Yeah Honeybee just got blown out. Sonic Fox is up later.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The character Geras can actually manipulate the game clock, hehe.

The fatal blow that you can use when Below 30% is only once per game, if you use it in round one you won’t have it in round 2.
James

Post by James »

I wonder if meter build is on a timer solely for this exhibition, cause that seems like a weird choice. Not a negative one, necessarily, but it'd surely affect the pacing and flow of gameplay pretty significantly.

Is the x-ray effect bonus damage what they're referring to as the Crushing Blows? Are those what are causing the damage over time?
James

Post by James »

Sounds like those mechanics will affect player strategy over the course of each round and the match as a whole, Flabyo. Very interesting (as if I'll ever be good enough to worry about which Crushing Blows to use and when :P )
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

James wrote: January 17th, 2019, 9:12 pm I wonder if meter build is on a timer solely for this exhibition, cause that seems like a weird choice. Not a negative one, necessarily, but it'd surely affect the pacing and flow of gameplay pretty significantly.

Is the x-ray effect bonus damage what they're referring to as the Crushing Blows? Are those what are causing the damage over time?
It feels like they want the meter build to be even, especially as the defence meter drives your wake up options.

The bonus damage is what they’re calling crushing blows. Those sound interesting, the idea that each can only trigger once per game, and that the trigger conditions are quite varied (one there triggered the second time you counter hit with forward 2.

There’s also a ‘Just guard’ style block called ‘flawless block’.

Yeah, the mechanics here are quite different to mkx, less emphasis on combo, more on reaction and managing damage output. That’s going to suit some players way more than others. Anyone with good reactions is going to be godlike.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I have been kicking arse as Baraka. Looks like the celeb tourney is going to be won by Baraka too.
James

Post by James »

The return of Skarlet anywhere near as exciting a prospect as Baraka, do you think?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

And surprising literally no one Sonic Fox is already incredibly strong after just a days practice.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

James wrote: January 17th, 2019, 10:04 pm The return of Skarlet anywhere near as exciting a prospect as Baraka, do you think?
Scarlet has her fans, but wasn’t as missed in X as Baraka.

Trying to work out from the other b-roll clips I’ve seen who else might be playable. There was a shot of past Liu Kang fighting his Revenant Netherrealm King future self, and the same with Kung Lao. And a very brief shot of Revenant Kitana as well.

The character select screen looked like it could hold 30 or more fighters, so there won’t be many omissions (I won’t cry if the cyborgs aren’t around though)

So now I guess it’ll be character reveal videos for the next few months, they do have regular ‘Kombat Kast’ live-streams planned, starting on the 23rd.

Yeah, looking forward to this. Should make up for how much I’ve been disappointed with Soul Calibur 6 (which is good, it’s just not great)
James

Post by James »

Yep, all in. Should probably make use of MKX being on Xbox Game Pass to lay some groundwork in the next couple of months.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

15 matches 15 wins

Just Brutalitied the Netherealm Head Guy thay was here