Mortal Kombat 11

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Mortal Kombat 11

Post by Flabyo »

The ‘community reveal’ event is live tomorrow 10:30am PST, coming from both London and LA. (6:30pm in the uk)

The guest list so far seems a bit too ‘invite random celebs’ rather than actual community people, but that stuff might well be off stream anyway. (Ronda Rousey is rumoured to be voicing Sonya, or maybe appearing in the game as a guest character... weirder things have happened).

I’ve rather liked the Netherrealm takes on MK, especially the drive to out decent single player modes in them. This one is almost certainly going to have some version of the gear system from Injustice 2 though, loot boxes and all. (Though that stuff was mostly fluff in Injustice 2 anyway, it didn’t affect online ranked play at all).

The plot looks like being wacky time travel shenanigans, which is a decent excuse to have characters back that are very dead indeed after MKX.
DomsBeard

Re: Mortal Kombat 11

Post by DomsBeard »

I am actually going to the event in London tomorrow night!.

Will let you know how I get on. Really looking forward to it!
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

The problem with MK is they really painted themselves into a corner storywise with X.

Let's hope they can make it work.

Also for fuck sake bring Noob back!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

They’ve never cared *too* much about the plot from game to game, and the teaser video for 11 literally ends with some new character standing next to a giant hour glass so... (9 was a complete reboot alternate timeline thing as well, they have previous)
FemalePheromones

I actually loved what they did with 9. But with X jumping 25 years into the future and keeping some characters dead was a bit different. But like you say it looks like time travel will play a part again so maybe we will get the younger generation going back and teaming up witht he older generation when they were younger. Who knows.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Doesn't one of them have two Sub-Zeroes? Deception I wanna say?

MK is a weird series for me, because it's a goofy, stupid game that takes itself way too seriously. If they would go full Tekken and do stupid shit like.... Reptile whips out a heat lamp and basks under it as a recovery move, or Goro tries to grapple with an octopus on a Mexican beach resort in Earth Realm, like it desperately needs that sort of self-aware cartoon comedy alongside the guts and decapitations.

I think when MK was new, it was gory, *but silly*. It's still silly in a lot of ways, but it's similar to the Twisted Metal reboot or a Rob Zombie movie, when it's trying to be funny, it just comes off as twisted and sadistic. In the 90s, it was more cartoon nonsense. And I'd love to see the series just go full stupid and embrace how dumb the concept of a multidimensional, supernatural martial arts tournament really is.
FemalePheromones

UMK3 had 2 Sub Zeroes. They brought the original (Bi-Han) back as well as his younger brother (Kuai-Liang). The weird thing is that it also included Noob which was also Bi-Han.

Deadly Alliance had Frost who was Sub Zero (Kuai-Liang)'s apprentice but apart from the freeze moves she was quite a different character.

Although they did also include knock off versions of Kitana and Kano which I am not defending.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Mk9 has sub zero, noob and cyber sub zero.

I have a feeling this new one isn’t going to go in for that. I’ll be sad if we don’t see Ferra/Torr again though. They were far too much fun,
FemalePheromones

Flabyo wrote: January 17th, 2019, 10:38 am Mk9 has sub zero, noob and cyber sub zero.

I have a feeling this new one isn’t going to go in for that. I’ll be sad if we don’t see Ferra/Torr again though. They were far too much fun,
That made sense in the story though because Sub-Zero actually became Cyber Sub-Zero during the game so it's not like they duplicated characters for the sake of it.

With MK11 I can see them using the Variations from MKX but each variation might be the same character but from a different point in time. For instance for Sub-Zero you might have a Bi-Han variation, a Kuai-Liang variation and a Cyber variation.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I would like to see Babalities and Friendships return.
FemalePheromones

Me too.
James

Post by James »

I'm thoroughly looking forward to this. Mortal Kombat was a fun curiosity in my pre-teen/early-teen years, but I didn't find the aesthetics or animations as appealing as Street Fighter. Not throwing shade, just my preference. Truth be told, I still prefer the look of Street Fighter.

Anyway, Injustice 2 grabbed me back in the summer of 2017. Whilst I didn't play much online, and never got any good at the game, the single-player modes were more than expansive enough to provide many an hour of entertainment. I still have a lot of love for Street Fighter, but I can't deny that I'd be playing a lot more of it if Capcom took a leaf out of NRS' book when it came to story mode and daily/weekly challenges. I've tried plenty of fighting games, and have no hesitation in saying NRS are second to none in my book for this stuff.

Long story short, I can't wait for MK11. I'm gonna try my damnedest to learn to appreciate the art and animation style. Though I don't think I'll ever get used to the way Torr's arms flop about. Sorry, Flabyo! ;)
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

James wrote: January 17th, 2019, 2:58 pm I'm thoroughly looking forward to this. Mortal Kombat was a fun curiosity in my pre-teen/early-teen years, but I didn't find the aesthetics or animations as appealing as Street Fighter. Not throwing shade, just my preference. Truth be told, I still prefer the look of Street Fighter.

Anyway, Injustice 2 grabbed me back in the summer of 2017. Whilst I didn't play much online, and never got any good at the game, the single-player modes were more than expansive enough to provide many an hour of entertainment. I still have a lot of love for Street Fighter, but I can't deny that I'd be playing a lot more of it if Capcom took a leaf out of NRS' book when it came to story mode and daily/weekly challenges. I've tried plenty of fighting games, and have no hesitation in saying NRS are second to none in my book for this stuff.

Long story short, I can't wait for MK11. I'm gonna try my damnedest to learn to appreciate the art and animation style. Though I don't think I'll ever get used to the way Torr's arms flop about. Sorry, Flabyo! ;)
I always liked MK a little more than Street Fighter, but absolutely no question, if I had to pick only one fighter, BlazBlue is my drink of choice. Maybe lump Guilty Gear in with it? I've never actually played GG. But Ark System Works knows how to make fighting games flashy and fun in a way that tickles me pink.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just arrived. Impressive Ice Sculpture outside. Will take lots of pics and figure out how to pop them on here.
James

Post by James »

Lovely! Have a great evening, Domsbeard! :mrgreen:
James

Post by James »

Oh, and give Andi Hamilton an awkward high five from me. ;-)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

There are two streams, one for the event in LA and the other for the event in London.

Looks like they both have the same Ed Boon bit from 7pm, then divide to run local content.

https://twitter.com/mortalkombat/status ... 74176?s=21

I think the pro v pro in London will be Ketchup vs Mustard, (they’re brothers, and regular commentators for netherrealm games on twitch).
James

Post by James »

K&M are doing an exhibition match for sure. Not certain of any other pro/FGC matches, but I know there are a bunch of head-to-head celeb matches, certainly in London, but I presume in LA too?

Mike Diver (games writer) is up against Chris Eubank Jr., and I think I saw that Mesut Ozil is there? Who knows?!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah 2 Arsenal players which is ironic as I am a Spurs fan (Arsenal are our bitter rivals for the non football people)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I suspect the LA event might have more ‘known’ players, easy enough to have both on, though I suspect there won’t be any ‘new’ things shown after that initial hour with Ed Boon.