Anthem

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Anthem

Post by DomsBeard »

I remember played the beta for Destiny on my 360 and 20 minutes in stopping playing as I knew it was a special game and I would buy it at launch.

I have just played Anthem for 20 minutes and stopped playing as I wont be buying it as I didnt enjoy it at all.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Nothing wrong with liking things other people don’t, and vice versa. As long as you don’t spend all your time trying to tell people why they’re wrong and you’re right :)
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I deleted the demo from my PS4 last night. Even with friends this game failed to ignite any interest. The seen-it-all-before gameplay, convoluted menus and options (just how many invert camera options do I really need?) did nothing but make us want to play something else.

Maybe the release version with have a lot more going for it but at this particular juncture in time I couldn't be less interested in ever playing Bioware's next title, which is kinda a shame.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I have zero interest in Anthem, more because of EA than Bioware, but after reading this Ars Technica review, I can't help but wonder if this game should have gone the traditional Single-player Bioware route, rather than the money-grabbing EA path...

All hypothetical of course, but is there content, or some spark of originality, that could be salvaged from Anthem?
Sean

Post by Sean »

As much as I'm loving the game, I do think it should have just been a single player game. The MP doesn't really add anything to the experience, and, in fact is a detriment in some cases.

In fact, I play most of the missions on my own, unless I'm feeling like a want a challenge and put it on hard with matchmaking.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: February 20th, 2019, 2:13 am I have zero interest in Anthem, more because of EA than Bioware, but after reading this Ars Technica review, I can't help but wonder if this game should have gone the traditional Single-player Bioware route, rather than the money-grabbing EA path...

All hypothetical of course, but is there content, or some spark of originality, that could be salvaged from Anthem?
Every game EA makes should have gone the non-EA route. Imagine if Dead Space 3 were actually good?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Looks at Titanfall 2.

Every EA game?
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Flabyo wrote: February 21st, 2019, 8:08 am Looks at Titanfall 2.

Every EA game?
8-)

I don't think people really understand the concept of business sometimes, and get clouded by passion for the end product (which is understandable). EA aren't "money grabbing". They're a business with investors and targets and what the end product is for companies is *almost* irrelevant to these people. That doesn't make them cunts, it's reality. Without making money to grow, companies would never reach this size and you'd never get a chance to play an Apex Legends, a Titanfall 2, an Anthem, a FIFA.

Every publisher wants your money. Every single one. It's how they operate. They buy and sell products from creators. People at the top who understand business can be interchangeable, hence you see people literally changing industries at C-level - because they're good with money, good with business. Sometimes that will gel well with the end user experience or perception of their intentions, other times it won't. But without business acumen, games companies in general would remain tiny, making enough money to scrape by, or failing - literally unable to provide you with what you want - and moving on to something else to make a living.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

hazeredmist wrote: February 21st, 2019, 9:48 am
Flabyo wrote: February 21st, 2019, 8:08 am Looks at Titanfall 2.

Every EA game?
8-)

I don't think people really understand the concept of business sometimes, and get clouded by passion for the end product (which is understandable). EA aren't "money grabbing". They're a business with investors and targets and what the end product is for companies is *almost* irrelevant to these people. That doesn't make them cunts, it's reality. Without making money to grow, companies would never reach this size and you'd never get a chance to play an Apex Legends, a Titanfall 2, an Anthem, a FIFA.

Every publisher wants your money. Every single one. It's how they operate. They buy and sell products from creators. People at the top who understand business can be interchangeable, hence you see people literally changing industries at C-level - because they're good with money, good with business. Sometimes that will gel well with the end user experience or perception of their intentions, other times it won't. But without business acumen, games companies in general would remain tiny, making enough money to scrape by, or failing - literally unable to provide you with what you want - and moving on to something else to make a living.
Oh, my sweet summer child... You have a long road to go before you can claim to understand the neoliberal capitalist system.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... GuORzglnck

Anthem sells half the copies Mass Effect Andromeda did at launch.

RIP
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Magical_Isopod wrote: Oh, my sweet summer child... You have a long road to go before you can claim to understand the neoliberal capitalist system.
LOL
Magical_Isopod wrote: February 25th, 2019, 3:39 pm https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... GuORzglnck

Anthem sells half the copies Mass Effect Andromeda did at launch.

RIP
Clickbait article by the looks of it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Erm, it’s literally the uk chart figures saying that it sold less than mass effect andromeda did, physical copies, at retail.

No spin. Thems the numbers.
Joshihatsumitsu

The vague and generically titled Anthem didn't stir people into a buying frenzy? Has the world gone mad?

I'm kinda curious, but has Bioware traditionally been the sort of company that made games that, sales-wise, sold numbers in the Call of Duty territory?

I've gotta lot of love for KOTOR, and Mass Effect (3 games were enough), but I remember trying to recommend games like that, years ago, to a Halo/COD fanatic... and it's a tough sell.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Yes, perhaps you’re misinterpreting, Flabyo.

To choose that as a headline deliberately suggests the launch week was a failure, when the article could literally have been “Anthem tops UK physical sales chart”.

Hence clickbait as it feeds on the general tone of negativity towards Anthem so you’ll go “wow it really didn’t do well did it?” before diving into the article to find out it’s not really the whole story. We don’t even know what the digital sales figures are!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’ll give you the headline is shitty, but the article goes into a lot of detail comparing it with similar titles, other titles released this month, and explains that it has done badly whether the digital sales figures are good or not.

But no one actually reads articles anymore.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

For something with zero history (unlike the sequels the article compares Anthem’s performance to) it certainly doesn’t sound like the worst physical launch it could have had to me. I’m no expert, of course.

It’ll certainly be interesting to see how this one does in the short to medium term.
macstat

Post by macstat »

Problem with those numbers is that a lot of people went with Origin Access premier route since it gave you access to the game a week earlier. EA has been pushing hard for players to purchase that subscription, so they might be fine with sales as long as it translates to bigger interest in Premier.
It may still be not satisfying but they can have another surge in sales when origin sub runs out (and they fix things/release things they showed in roadmap).
Joshihatsumitsu

Assuming anyone is still playing this game (I never even began), this Kotaku article at least sheds some light on what went wrong with Anthem.

Warning: long article, so maybe grab a cuppa before you start!
nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 »

Good article. I always thought the game looked a bit sparse and so have never played it, it looks like a game that might be fun for 5 minutes until the fun of flying wears off.

really interesting to see that in a 7 year dev cycle they didn't even know what the game was, or invoved, 18 months before release!
Joshihatsumitsu

The background story behind the game is fair more interesting than the game itself!

I made assumptions, like maybe it was originally meant to be a single player experience (no true), and just because I hate EA, rightly so 99% of the time, it wasn't all their fault, as it was mostly mismanagement and indecision from Bioware itself.

Assume = Ass U Me...