Spoilers topic

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
hamster_with_9lives

Spoilers topic

Post by hamster_with_9lives »

I know there are people who are afraid of spoilers and can't stand the fact they exist on the Internet.
As for me, spoilers are not so bad. Right, It may sound strange, but I need spoilers. I am too sensitive and nervous, I'm too worried about the characters, so I should know if they will be ok in the end.
So I thought - what about a special thread for spoilers?
Feel free about asking for them or publishing them here.
Alex79

Re: Spoilers topic

Post by Alex79 »

Personally, I'd rather people just post spoilers in the relevant thread in Spoiler tags. This thread could potentially be full of spoilers for games people don't want to see, but they may not be bothered about other games, if you know what I mean.

I get what you're saying, my partner is the same. We'll start watching a film or TV series and she will immediately google the ending. I find it absolutely bizarre, but she hates the suspense and not knowing what will happen. It doesn't affect her enjoyment at all, but I just couldn't ingest entertainment in that way!

I recently had the end of Red Dead Redemption 2 spoiled for me and was absolutely gutted!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

The first castle's "princess" is just a Toad.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Yeah, I think Alex raises good points in his post about spoilers for multiple games.

It'd be better if people put the title of the game followed by whatever they've got to say behind spoiler tags regardless so to avoid problems down the line.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The older i get the less i care. I think my gut reaction would be annoyance but anything which has been spoiled hasnt really ruined my life.

I'd rather explore stories myself but if i accidentally get told something, it'll be alright.

If it was tv or movies, however it could cheese me off a bit more as that purely is for the story whereas gaming has the gameplay to keep you going and there's not many spoilers which are based on gameplay.

Or are there? As soon as I typed that, i realise that you could "spoil" some gameplay moments and mechanics
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’ve stayed out of the whole REmake2 thread purposely out of fear that I’ll see something - that I’ll find spoilery.

I can remember be mega cheesed off when one of my Fireteam mates on Destiny started reeling off the new Exotic items that had been released in the latest update.

Then had a pop at me as they’re not spoilers.

I spoiled the entirety of Fallout 4 myself by watching every video, reading every article and knowing about every mechanic before the game was even released.

Spoilers are odd and completely down to an individuals opinion.

Therefore I don’t rely on anyone to keep anything spoiler free anymore, I just do my best to avoid said topic.

I’ve also tried to be much more relaxed about it as Dezmond touches on, it just doesn’t matter that much in the grand scheme of things.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'm fairly sensitive about spoilers, although I mostly trust the other CaR forumites not to post any potential story-ruining stuff willy-nilly without spoiler tags. But I sometimes end up "accidentally" spoiling stuff for myself as a result of compulsive googling, which is noone's fault but my own, to be fair. The GoW reboot and RDR2 being two major examples of this in recent times.

One semi-related issue for me is the widespread cultural notion of spoilers having a "statute of limitations" of sorts, which is an entirely backward and self-centered logic that doesn't respect people's individual conditions as far as I'm concerned. Not everybody is always going to be consuming every single piece of media on the weekend it comes out, and the idea that, say, a teenager who's starting to show an interest in cinema somehow "deserves" to have the ending of Citizen Kane spoiled for them because "the movie's been out for over 70 years it's all fair game now" is just dumb. Human beings don't work like that. Some works are best experienced without any prior knowledge of their plot, and spoiler warnings should be about extending basic courtesy to fellow audience members, not some dry and soulless technicality. Accidental slip-ups are not the end of the world, but mindlessly adhering to the "it's been X days since release so now it's your fault"-mantra is simply callous.

I've tried to remain as vague as possible about the narrative resonance of some of my SoP picks for that exact reason, too. Much to Leon's... perplexed amusement. :P
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I do actually really hate spoilers. For anything. Books, TV, movies, games. I just don't think anyone has the right to take away the feeling of discovering an important story beat for anyone else. I actively try to avoid them as much as possible, and like KSub, I've ruined a couple of things for myself before now with careless Googling or podcast listening. For me, everything is about story - unless it's a blatent arcade style game that doesn't really have one. That's what I play games for, the gameplay is almost incidental to the story I'm being told, and to have that spoiled is always disappointing.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I was worried about reading this thread, lest there be spoilers within!

There are plenty of episodes of Cane and Rinse I haven't listened too precisely because I don't want certain titles ruined for me. But then I can go back to those episodes afterwards anyway, and see if I connect with other peoples opinions.

It's great to share an experience with someone else, so I understand wanting to openly talk about certain plot points, characters, etc. But it is simply a matter of showing (increasingly un)common courtesy to others.