Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Shmups

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » March 19th, 2019, 8:39 pm

SaiDaiOuJou is definitely a generous package, and the inclusion of the novice/360 modes makes it a more welcoming entry to new players. And I can't remember if it's this game or Resurrection/DaiFukkatsu that has an unlockable where the ships basically pilot themselves. I may have enabled that a few times just to earn in-game currency for the in-game shop... set it up, come back in 20 minutes, unlock more... it's lazy but it works!

In between coats of paint on the cabinet I've been firing up my Neo Geo cab, and playing short sessions of Viewpoint (courtesy of the 161-1 cart). If ever there was a game that needed an Arcade Achives-styled re-release, it would be Viewpoint. The difficulty stems more from the isometric perspective, but once you've played a few times, and memorised patterns (you know, the same-old-same-old), then progress is totally possible.

Its a good game for short sessions, though I question the accuracy of this particular emulation, as there's a section in the first level where some slowdown occurs, and I can't find information that confirms that it was in the original version. The Megadrive version suffered technical hiccups, but I'm unsure about the Neo Geo/SNK one.

clippa

Post by clippa » March 23rd, 2019, 9:25 pm

Ooh, this is good.

https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1109479329358966787
Free demo of upcoming doujin vert 抹機銃-MAKKIGAN-, from the creator of 弩近銃 -dokingan- released. https://www.freem.ne.jp/win/game/19788
It's only a demo of one short stage but it's a lot of fun.

I seem to be scoring highest by just sticking to the main shot.
I think the secondary weapon is purposefully overpowered and meant for emergencies only.
Your score is constantly rising but it falls when you use that weapon.

You chin lots of baddies with your main shot to build the hyper and then hold down the two buttons to activate the hyper but just keep using your main shot during the hyper as the secondary weapon seems to drain the juice a lot quicker and doesn't seem to offer any benefit.

I'll have to play it some more but I think that's the idea.

Since your score is rising all the time, maybe you're meant to keep enemies alive for as long as you can? I got my best score by just shooting them straight away so I don't think so, but that would be a good mechanic as you'd be letting them fire more bullets and you'd have to make sure you took the thick off the bigger enemies so that you didn't leave it too late and they got away.
Maybe shooting bullets builds your hyper too or gives you more points. I don't know, I'll have a fanny about on it some more tomorrow.
Looks like it's gonna be good though!

Here's Dokingan, their other game that he mentioned, haven't tried that one yet - https://www.freem.ne.jp/win/game/8241

clippa

Post by clippa » March 24th, 2019, 9:58 am

clippa wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 9:25 pm
Dokingan - https://www.freem.ne.jp/win/game/8241
Wow, this is amazing. A proper stink yanker!

Your secondary weapon is the one you mainly use, it's like a really close range laser, it destroys the bigger bullets and it's really strong so it's all about just running at pricks and barging them down.

Your main weapon is long range and it also acts as the focus button too so when things get hectic you can get down the bottom of the screen and be more carefull.

So you're trying to get up close to the bosses and they'll fire loads of little bullets that you have to dodge so you switch to your main weapon and be more cautious, but then they'll throw out loads of those big bullets that you can destroy so you switch to the laser and you can now try and run in and take some of the bosses health off, sometimes they'll shoot big flame throwers for ages and if you laser those you get loads of points and blue medal things flying to tell you you're doing it right.

Sometimes the bosses will spit big waves of bullets, but you need to go fast get around them so you're using your main weapon to do damage but quickly changing to laser when you need the speed.

The stage design is really good, having a nice mix of big and small bullets, and I think it's the idea to leave the bigger enemies alive longer so they can shoot more big bullets and get more score.

And your bomb is like a shotgun, for emergencies it clears all the bullets in front of you.

Man, this is so good.
If you like it fast and frantic and getting up close and personal, you'll love this!

edit: Oh, here we go, it comes with an english readme file explaining the mechanics
SYSTEM----------

WHAT IS PLAYER(NO-39)
It equipped with shot, laser and bomber. Features are written under the table.

SHOT: SLOW SPEED LOW damage available to wide attack
LASER: SPEED UP HIGH damage available to attack ahead for short range and destroy particular bullets.
BOMBER: contains autobomb is low damage and manual bomb is high damage.

=NOTICE=
1.Laser hits and scatters sparks. Sparks also contain collision detection.
2.Watch out for speed up.
3.When enemy bullet grazes player, green bomb gauge increases.Increasing fully and you get one bomb. -maximum 5 bombs-

Manual bomb
pressing c key launchs short bomb and pressing longer launchs more higher damage bomb.
Latter is useful against boss. Let's find how to use former.

Score
You can get scores for destroying enemy, obtaining score items and so on.
About score item, it's automatically collected.

EXTEND:400mil PTS, 1200mil PTS1:26 2019/01/11

For high score
Destroying enemy causes explosions. Player touch them and increasing red vertical gauge.
Numbers by the gauge become more than 2, you can get multiplied score.
If player shoot down, numbers by the gauge become 0.

By the way, pressing shot key(z) makes red gauge slightly increase.

Boss battle
"TIMER" locates right side of screen shows time until boss begin to crazy mode.
Crazy mode causes intensive attack. But it's time to get more score. Please ENDURE.
I got into one of those before by mistake and it got hella crazy, look at the difference in score though!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » March 24th, 2019, 10:06 am

My interest is piqued.

clippa

Post by clippa » March 24th, 2019, 4:15 pm

Yay, got my 1cc!

The game has autobomb and it becomes a lot easier once you find out that grazing gives you bombs.
Man that is so much fun. Reckon I can get a better score but I think I better leave it for tomorrow now.

Been enjoying this daft thing over the last couple of days, it has it's issues but it's early access and the dev seems open to suggestions and is patching the game a lot, and it's £1.69.

It's an endless procedurally generated thing for now, nice and relaxing, until you get to the later parts where it gets really tense. Two slimy pricks ahead of me on the leaderboard so I'll have to school those fools later on.

One thing I will say is that most of the enemies are annoying bullet sponges. Maybe I should suggest that, cut all the baddies health in half and see what he thinks.

clippa

Post by clippa » March 29th, 2019, 7:55 am

Not gonna pretend that anyone's interested in me stumbling through Dokingan, but I've uploaded it so I may as well post it here.

This is the best bit.

ImageImage

Pro gamer.

I think I need to be using the bomb a lot more, since you can regenerate them during the next stage, I think you're meant to let a few off during the bosses to turn screens full of bullets into lovely blue things.
Loads of room for improvement, anyway. I looked on youtube and the first replay that shows up, the guy was doing loads of tricks with the bosses, making them explode for ages and upping the multiplier, it was really risky though, you had to dodge bullets that were appearing right next to you, don't think I could do that. His end score had an extra bloody number on it compared to mine!

ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing » March 29th, 2019, 4:13 pm

I picked up Battle Garegga on Play Asia recently, and MAN I suck.

clippa

Post by clippa » March 31st, 2019, 11:41 am

Ooo yeah, beat my score on Dokingan

I don't know if I can do better than that without learning all the special tricks for the bosses and I can't be arsed with that.
Think I'll take a break and move onto battle traverse now, I've only had a few goes on that.

clippa

Post by clippa » April 2nd, 2019, 8:18 am

Oh my! I've beaten STGweekly! Think I can die happy now.

058240769 - clippa (king beaky big boy)
049954392 - STGweekly

Keep practising, boys.

I'm gonna have a spring in my strut all morning. I'm gonna make a big sandwich to celebrate!

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » April 2nd, 2019, 8:38 am

Nice! That's pretty beastly. I really like it but I've never really clicked with it in terms of scoring strategy.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » April 2nd, 2019, 8:48 am

ThirdDrawing wrote:
March 29th, 2019, 4:13 pm
I picked up Battle Garegga on Play Asia recently, and MAN I suck.
Try a more relaxed playing style. Shoot only when absolutely necessary, don't grab too many medals and power ups and be conservative with your bomb uses. You'll find the game will go easier on you.

clippa

Post by clippa » April 2nd, 2019, 6:28 pm

Stanshall wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 8:38 am
I really like it but I've never really clicked with it in terms of scoring strategy.
Yeah, I can see it being a bit marmite. Scoring mechanics are quite opaque and I think I remember you digging the way it looked and sounded, but I could see that being a turn off for some people.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » April 2nd, 2019, 7:01 pm

clippa wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 6:28 pm
Stanshall wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 8:38 am
I really like it but I've never really clicked with it in terms of scoring strategy.
Yeah, I can see it being a bit marmite. Scoring mechanics are quite opaque and I think I remember you digging the way it looked and sounded, but I could see that being a turn off for some people.
I think being crap at it doesn't especially help but yeah, I really like the superficial elements and the gameplay is fun, it just didn't quite get under my skin like Rolling Gunner has (and even Devil Engine after putting a good few hours into it). I like the upgrade system, though I don't totally get it, and I enjoy all the little secrets, I'm just not great at chaining the levels or knowing how and when to bomb, etc. I feel like we've talked about that side of it before. I think I'm probably just more keen on the bullet hellish side of things, in the end.

And on that note, while I still wait for Futari to arrive from Japan I've been hammering Espgaluda 2 BL which seems very very accessible and pushes the biggest most obvious buttons with all the giant font bullet cancels and big numbers and chirpy tunes and bright greens and pinks and the like. Really lovely game on every level, easy to pick up, rewarding, no pig hybrid peephole stuff so I don't need to worry about my wife walking in. Can't wait for Futari, though. I must have watched that STG Weekly ten times. "If you're going to go, go all the way..."

clippa

Post by clippa » April 2nd, 2019, 9:09 pm

I'm still not 100% confident I know exactly what's going on after 64 hours playtime, which is telling, but I think you power up each time you collect so many of those green gems that drop from killed enemies, they get smaller every time they hit the ground so it's best to kill enemies close up and swoop in and collect as many gems as you can before they bounce too often.

I think with your normal shmup all the enemies are coming to you down the catwalk against a scrolling background but on this you have to purposefully hunt them down and keep moving around the stage, that's quite different.

Anything that looks suspicious is worth bombing, I think. The "secrets" are pretty much just anything that isn't a regular enemy, look for lots of suspicious stuff, build your chain to 30 and get it bombed, or just get your chain up and bomb when there are a load of enemies on screen that you can scoop together.
Stanshall wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 7:01 pm
Rolling Gunner
You can stop rubbing it in now. I finally snapped on March 17th.

I "chose" the cheapest postage because I didn't know what the hell I was doing on that daft site. "Unregistered Economy Air Mail" I think that's the one where they chuck it in the general direction of a pigeon and blow it a kiss if it looks at them quizzically.
So that'll give them plenty of time to release it on steam in the meantime, swim to the UK and shout "I LLLLLLLIKE IT!" through my letterbox before it arrives all pecked and grubby.

Espgaluda 2 was one of the first games I got for the 360 and I was still learning to use a stick at the time and I remember it having more buttons than I was happy with, that's the good thing about playing on a pad, lots of buttons very handy and close together and you don't forget which ones are which.
I couldn't quite get my head around what was happening, the way you went into the different dimensions and stuff and things got harder and faster. I don't know if black label makes things more manageable but I decided I wasn't quite ready for it at the time.
Yeah, it seemed really good though, love turning screens full of bullets into chunky things and grabbing them, few things in life can compare.

I ran through the first one in mame a few years back, that seemed a lot more straight forward and easier, really enjoyed playing that.

I bought some red wine for a treat and it's fizzy. Absolute heathens.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » April 2nd, 2019, 9:14 pm

clippa wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 9:09 pm
I bought some red wine for a treat and it's fizzy. Absolute heathens.
I never drink wine and even I know that's complete heresy. :x

clippa

Post by clippa » April 4th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Coloured with the blood of freshly sacrificed virgin goats, no doubt.
Still drank it, but I did feel slightly more evil the next morning.

Makkigan full version is go - https://www.syakerake.jp/104

clippa

Post by clippa » April 5th, 2019, 9:55 am

Vasara collection pushed back to "summer"

Black Bird on sale for £7.49, 50% off on both steam and switch, no switch tax

Steam
Switch

Best game of 2018 in my view, if you don't have it.

Speaking of the best games of 2018, Steel Vampire is also on sale for £4.67, 35% off.

clippa

Post by clippa » April 6th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Ooh, yeah!

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » April 6th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Nice one! Wish my Futari had turned up from Japan as quickly. Feel like it's been lost on the way.

Not played Rolling Gunner for a little while and still learning how to score on stage two but I reckon my stage one score is a good un: 57.78m

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » April 6th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Any thoughts on R-Type Final 2 that was announced earlier this week and turned out not to be an April Fools joke after all?