Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
clippa

Re: Shmups

Post by clippa » May 22nd, 2019, 9:08 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 8:52 pm
Okay, I edited some of my jokes. It was all in good fun on my end, but I don't want clippa to take this the wrong way or to come off like a bad sport somehow.
Aw, I like a bit of slap and tickle. I was enjoying that! It didn't come across as malicious. I liked the violin quip, that my dismay was sweeter than any melody composed by Beethoven or something, that was a good one :D
Yeah, there's such a thing as a sore winner as well as a sore loser, but it was all clearly tongue in cheek, you can smell when someone's being a prick. You're a good egg, you don't have to second guess yourself, not as far as I'm concerned anyway.
KSubzero1000 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 8:52 pm
Tell you what, I won't even boot up the game until you've beaten my score so we can have a fair competition.
That's a fair deal. I'll know tomorrow whether or not I can be arsed trying long enough to de-rust. I'll stick a picture of an owl up on my dart board to spur me on.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 22nd, 2019, 9:16 pm

Who could possibly want to harm such a magnificent creature??

clippa

Post by clippa » May 22nd, 2019, 9:26 pm

Look into his eyes, pure evil lurks there. He's plotting, he's got my precious high scores in his sights.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » May 23rd, 2019, 6:37 am

A good old score battle! Mint.

Are you fine folks on Switch? Let's hook up if so. My scores are pitiful, I can't even clock shmups on easy yet but it'll be someone to prop up your leaderboards at least while I work on getting through primary school.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 23rd, 2019, 8:17 am

I think there's a switch friend code thread somewhere, stanshall linked to it. There it is - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53

I do have a switch but I haven't turned it on for a long time. I play mostly on pc. I won't show all my working, but I'll just say that it's my preferred platform and I try to buy and play games on there as much as I can.

I've also got 6 arcade sticks now and I just don't think I could justify buying another one for the switch.
I know you only need one, but I had one for the 360 first, then I wanted to get one that had directinput too, I prefer to use that to xinput on pc (don't ask). Then I needed one for the ps4.

once I started to get competent at playing with a stick, I think I started to fetishise them, went through this phase of buying up old ones that were going cheap on ebay that I didn't need. I'd clean them up and make them look nice again and stick new parts in them.
Ridiculous behaviour, but it was fun.
Once you've shelled out like 150 quid for a new stick and you see one going for like 30 quid on ebay, even if you don't need it, your brain convinces itself that it's a smart investment :D

I love those big snooker ball things on the top of the sticks, if I was slightly more unhinged I'd probably let myself start collecting them and have like a special room with thousands in display cabinets :D
You can get all pretty colours and different styles, they're like big marbles. Aaaah, that'll be it, it'll be a nostalgia thing, reminding me of simpler times and sunnier days.

We were always playing with and hoarding marbles as kids, they were big at the time and every shop had little nets of them dangling enticingly from hooks in the aisles and we'd reach for them and whinny, yearning for more marbles.
We'd covet our friends nice new ones and keep them all in a big tupperware box and when we weren't playing with them, we'd be sat cross legged just holding them up to the light and gazing, memorised at the cats eye designs inside or the wonderful patterns or even just all the little chips and dents, war wounds from past games won.

I was like that with buttons as well, my mam had a big box full of them that'd been passed down through the generations of women for mending coats and shirts, all different kinds. I could sit there for hours just dipping in, pulling out a new one and examining it.

Bloody marbles and buttons now, we had Stanshall banging on about speakers the other day. We need someone with a cattle prod keeping us on topic.

Ew, look at this one - https://i.imgur.com/FNKmLar.jpg
Don't click this if you're afeared of the spiders - https://i.imgur.com/HBxySdn.jpg

clippa

Post by clippa » May 23rd, 2019, 6:55 pm

Neptunia Shooter is out.

Console bods, you aren't missing anything.
Doesn't seem to have any scoring mechanics, you just get the same points for things no matter what you do and even when you shoot enemies quickly, more enemies don't spawn and there's no bonus for finishing the game quicker so I think it's just a matter of making sure you kill everything.
3 quid and it kept me out of trouble for 2 hours. Je ne regrette rien, although I wouldn't recommend anyone buys it.

You have 6 weapons by the finish and you have to cycle through them which gets quite confusing, like it's hard to remember whether you have to press back twice to get to the "shoot behind" weapon or if you have to press it three times because you've got an extra weapon now. Bit of a pain in the arse, I more or less just gave up in the end and stuck to the forward shot, backwards shot and that shield defence thing you get near the end.

Meh, it's a shame because with a little more work, a few interesting scoring mechanics, I'd happily have kept playing. I like the lo-fi look and sound of it and the cute dog things. Can't see the point of playing again really, especially considering my head hurts with all the weapon switching. A few achievements left for getting through it without getting hit a bunch of times, no extra difficulty modes or anything.
I liked the last attack pattern of the final boss, it goes proper bullet hell, could have done with more of that throughout the rest of the game.
Uploaded my playthrough to yootoob if you're that bored.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » May 23rd, 2019, 8:58 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 12:37 pm

Tried them all, but tend to mainly use the default one (whoever that is!)

I've also been playing one of my favorite of the genre - Armed Police Batrider. I always go on about that game, but that's because it was the game that really made me love shmups from playing it endlessly on MAME almost two decades ago now!
Yeah his name escapes me. The kid with the red sun bandana, probably. My main is Ruby. Her forward shot is devastating and her bomb attack literally rains hellfire and brimstone down on everything.

Batrider is legit too. Hard to learn, with all the different ship teams, though.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 24th, 2019, 4:45 am

I got the Darius Cozmic Collection a couple of days ago and I've been enjoying it a lot. Absolutely delighted with it, to be honest, because it was a bit of a gamble and not especially cheap with postage and customs, etc. I'd hardly ever played the likes of Gradius, Darius and R-Type before this year. They didn't appeal because I didn't think that kind of dodging and shooting and avoiding environmental hazards was what I wanted from shmups. Also, whenever I'd tried them at Arcade Club or wherever over the years, I found them a bit stiff and not especially flashy or chaotic or exciting. I'd probably credit Super Hydorah with opening my eyes a little more to this style because I very much enjoyed that earlier this year.

Anyway, a bit of emulated Darius 2 (with the triple screen setting) and a more positive second impression of DariusBurst Chronicle Saviours whetted my appetite further and after hearing so many good things, I took a punt via PlayAsia before copies become too rare/inflated. Fundamentally, it's just three games, Darius, Darius 2 and Darius Gaiden with some tweaked versions of the first two games, though they're more like minor remixes and edits than significantly different games.

While I have loved playing Darius 2 without the effects of emulation on an eight-yo laptop, Darius Gaiden is the star of the collection so far. It absolutely rips. You start with a hefty amount of firepower and within about three seconds, it's thrown several more power-ups at you and it's a really exciting and satisfying thing to avoid death and build up your arsenal til you have these massive green laser waves shredding enemies. It's tough, though, really tough, but I never feel dispirited at the Game Over screen, I just want to get back on that loop because it always feels like you hit the ground running at full pelt. The music is also gorgeous, really melodic, dark ambient pads, lots of ethereal ululation. The Insert Coin sound instantly made my ears prick up, it's so distinctive and alluring. Not got more than halfway or so yet on one credit and feeding my way to the end has shown me that the later levels really need some dedication but I'm thoroughly enjoying my time with it, and I'd heartily recommend the whole package.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 24th, 2019, 5:56 am

Is Darius Gaiden the same as G-Darius? I must admit, I get so confused with Darius and Gradius - they're not the same series, are they? I love G-Darius, though.

EDIT: Stopped being lazy and checked myself! G-Darius is Darius 4 and Darius Gaiden is Darius 3. Disappointing that collection doesn't include G-Darius, but still looks decent.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 24th, 2019, 6:04 am

It's not, in fact. A different PS1 era game but I'll definitely be getting round to G-Darius, I've heard only great things.

I also find/found the Darius/Gradius series so confusing. Why did they pick similar names? Then G-Darius is almost deliberately confusing, being an anagram. It feels like an elaborate joke with no punchline I can understand. Is it insanely egotistical to feel like these companies have conspired to pull a very specific, unfathomable prank on me? Probably, because you obviously find it mad, too.

Also, the Gradius games seem to have very different names, as well, with lots of spin-off games all with the exact same mechanics and stuff. It's mental. Salamander, Lifeforce, Nemesis. All this stuff. Different names in Japan and the West. Different names in the arcade and home releases. I'm going to do a very thorough investigation one of these days and set the record straight.

Maybe a Cane and Rinse volume nine issue? Would help us get to the bottom of all this, at very least.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 24th, 2019, 6:05 am

Stanshall wrote:
May 24th, 2019, 6:04 am
It's not, in fact. A different PS1 era game but I'll definitely be getting round to G-Darius, I've heard only great things.

I also find/found the Darius/Gradius series so confusing. Why did they pick similar names? Then G-Darius is almost deliberately confusing, being an anagram. It feels like an elaborate joke with no punchline I can understand. Is it insane to feel like these companies have conspired to pull a very specific, unfathomable prank on me? Also, the Gradius games seem to have very different names, as well, with lots of spin-off games all with the exact same mechanics and stuff. It's mental. Salamander, Lifeforce, Nemesis. All this stuff. I'm going to do a very thorough investigation one of these days.

Maybe a Cane and Rinse volume nine issue? Would help us get to the bottom of all this, at very least.
Thanks! Far more informative than my five second Google, haha. Yeah a C&R episode would be good. Is the Gradius collection getting an eshop release, do we know?

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 24th, 2019, 6:11 am

Well, I'm not sure, to be honest.

The Gradius stuff I've played is from the Konami Classics Collection which has three Gradius games or spin-offs (Nemesis, Vulcan Venture, Lifeforce - not one called fuckin Gradius anything) plus some other stuff (Scramble, Castlevania arcade game, Twinbee, Typhoon and Thunder Cross - which is a bit Gradius-Y). I'd say a dedicated collection would be great but they've kind of blown their proverbial load, unless there's another wad of Gradius games under completely different unrelated names, and let's face it there probably are.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » May 24th, 2019, 6:25 am

I'd love to be part of a Gradius series CaR episode or two.

Yeah, Gaiden is great, glad you're loving it so much, Stanshall. I used to play it on Taito Legends 2, but last year Howard "HeviMetaru" Van der Wal brought me the Saturn disc as a prezzie from Japan. Playing the game in native, non-upscaled resolution, with non-compressed audio enriched it a great deal and made me appreciate it ever so much.

One thing that always use to get me is the series' traditional ranking / dynamic difficulty system, with boss HP increasing the more powered up you are. So even if you spit out white hot electric laser death and wipe stages clear, the bosses will take you just as long to take down. The trick in at least Gaiden (don't know about the others) is that you can mash the fire button like crazy to significantly increase your fire rate, to help out there... or use a turbo controller (ever a controversial topic among top players of the game).

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » May 24th, 2019, 6:52 am

See, I'm tempted by the Konami Arcade Classics now... It got panned somewhat but for shmups it looks pretty decent? And I saw somewhere it's supposed to be getting Japanese versions added in a forthcoming update.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 24th, 2019, 8:20 am

Michiel K wrote:
May 24th, 2019, 6:25 am
One thing that always use to get me is the series' traditional ranking / dynamic difficulty system, with boss HP increasing the more powered up you are. So even if you spit out white hot electric laser death and wipe stages clear, the bosses will take you just as long to take down. The trick in at least Gaiden (don't know about the others) is that you can mash the fire button like crazy to significantly increase your fire rate, to help out there... or use a turbo controller (ever a controversial topic among top players of the game).
Interesting stuff! That explains a lot, too. I did wonder because a couple of runs where I was seriously powered up, I got absolutely destroyed by the same boss, Fat Glutton or something! It seemed like a massive difficulty spike so I've since tried to avoid that route.

For info, this release has customisable turbo fire with the choice of different rates of fire on different buttons! Pretty cool, though I've not figured out yet why you wouldn't go for 30x speed.

Sounds like a very nice gift by the way, I'd love to give Gaiden a go on an authentic set-up. I'll have to settle for emulated scan lines for now!
hazeredmist wrote:
May 24th, 2019, 6:52 am
See, I'm tempted by the Konami Arcade Classics now... It got panned somewhat but for shmups it looks pretty decent? And I saw somewhere it's supposed to be getting Japanese versions added in a forthcoming update.
I think it got a lukewarm response because of features deemed 'missing' due to expectations, rather than the quality of the games or ports. Anyway, the TATE update is live and the JPN variants are also coming soon. I'd also say that a couple of the titles are much less appealing. The Castlevania game, for example, is, in my professional opinion, shit. Scramble is a little basic. Twinbee doesn't hold massive appeal to me. The other five are well worth the money, though, with Vulcan Venture and Lifeforce both absolutely brilliant.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 24th, 2019, 8:20 am

I think it was mostly down to the EU regions getting the inferior EU versions of the games that mostly had the difficulty cranked up to guzzle more coins in the arcade, and a lack of tate support on the switch version.
Tate has been patched in now and like you say, the japanese versions of the games are coming too, I can't remember reading any other complaints so I think you're good to go now if you fancy it.

My mind was blown when I saw Nemesis on the konami collection and saw the japanese list had it as gradius. I used to play that on the speccy and just assumed it was a knock off like zynaps.
Stanshall wrote:
May 24th, 2019, 6:04 am
Then G-Darius is almost deliberately confusing, being an anagram.
Mind blown again. Yeah, very confusing, this is my face trying to work it all out

I remember me and friend bopping along to the music after zynaps had loaded up. Good times.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » May 24th, 2019, 10:01 am

Lads - if I clock Neko Navy on Easy mode pathetically with loads of shan embarrassing deaths can I brag about it? Or is there a proper code with shmups where you haven't really clocked it unless you smash the hardest mode with "1cc"? I want to give this a serious go tonight. Realistically any 1cc or higher difficulty stuff is quite some way off.

@clippa - your run looked great on that Neptunia. you got skills!

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » May 24th, 2019, 11:17 am

^^^^ If it feels like you broke through a threshold, I'd say it's worth a celebration!

clippa

Post by clippa » May 24th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Yeah man, I watched that video Stanshall was talking about and Gus goes something like "always have a summit to aim for", one day you'll be atop Everest, gazing up at the moon, wondering if there might be any bigger mountains up there for you to climb, but today your goal might just be to get up that curb without scattering your teeth across the pavement.

A chosen few are born with an ingrained talent and strike it lucky when they find out for what, but most of us are shit at everything and have to work for it. I might have been a fencing prodigy, don't know, never tried it. I might have a god given knack for pottery for all I know.

Everyone in this thread, at some point, was where you are now and we'll be here to slap you on the back and hoist you up when you're ready to celebrate. No man left behind. Oorah!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 24th, 2019, 2:59 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
May 24th, 2019, 10:01 am
Lads - if I clock Neko Navy on Easy mode pathetically with loads of shan embarrassing deaths can I brag about it? Or is there a proper code with shmups where you haven't really clocked it unless you smash the hardest mode with "1cc"? I want to give this a serious go tonight. Realistically any 1cc or higher difficulty stuff is quite some way off.
There is no code as far as I'm concerned. Maybe on elitist forums, but not here. If you put a lot of effort into something and achieve a result you feel happy about, that's something to be celebrated no matter your current (!) skill level. Games like these are difficult enough on their own, I'll be damned if we start making each other feel like garbage on top of that.

Neko Navy on Easy is as worthy a challenge as any other. Go for it! :)

PS: Also, I bought Psyvariar!
Spoiler: show
...The PS2 Complete Edition.