Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
KSubzero1000

Re: Shmups

Post by KSubzero1000 » June 17th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Stanshall wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 5:38 pm
And in some exciting news for me, I came in from a twelve hour day after about four hours sleep, had a nice dinner, sat down with a cup of tea and got a 1CC on Futari Black Label.
Yay, congrats! That's amazing! :o
I've been sitting here with a big fat grin on my face since I read that. I know you've been working tirelessly towards this. :P

It's decided, then. Futari will be the next shmup I'll invest some significant time into. I've been dipping in and out of them all over the past week or so and it's time to settle on one. I've been leaning towards SDOJ recently, but Futari it is.

Also, DonPachi & DoDonPachi were apparently early PS1 games and don't support analogue controls? The controller immediately stops working as soon as I turn on the analogue function via the PS3 emulator. That means d-pad only. Obviously it makes zero difference when playing with a stick but that's a bit rough for me.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » June 17th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Thanks man, I'm really so pleased, feels like a weight has lifted! And I'll be looking forward to seeing how you get on with it, I really think it's 'the one' for me (even if that's not very C&R kind of thinking).

When I was properly getting into shmups, I watched the Futari Ultra counter stop run by Gus on STG Weekly and I was blown away by the spectacle, the music and colours and insane bullet cancels and his commentary was hilarious. I eventually decided I would get a 360 to play this game and several others. And even then, it took a good five or six weeks to arrive from Japan!

Cheers to everyone in the shmup thread for making it so much fun and so encouraging over the last few months or so. Work has been a beast this year, my missus hasn't been very well (but all fine now) and this has really been a fun little haven of pure good vibes. Loving the enthusiasm and generosity in many ways.

And err apologies for my rare pissed up Animal Collective nonsense! :D

And back to business, yeah, that's a weird one. I've always struggled with the D-pad for shmups and I suspect the PS3 controller isn't ideal. Certainly, DDP is worth the effort, though. It's still a stunner.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » June 17th, 2019, 6:52 pm

Stanshall wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 6:35 pm
Cheers to everyone in the shmup thread for making it so much fun and so encouraging over the last few months or so. Work has been a beast this year, my missus hasn't been very well (but all fine now) and this has really been a fun little haven of pure good vibes. Loving the enthusiasm and generosity in many ways.
All thanks to you, man. You're the one who got me interested in these games and the one who made the thread. I doubt it would have had this much longevity without your enthusiasm and determination. Long may it continue. :)

Stanshall wrote:
I've always struggled with the D-pad for shmups and I suspect the PS3 controller isn't ideal.
The thing that stings is that I tried to be clever about it.

I recently bought a second-hand Super Slim PS3. Fairly decent condition, all things considered. My old model had been giving signs of ill health and I thought it would be a wise investment for future-proofing my setup. Controller was a bit filthy, so I decided to channel my inner low-rent Suits and open up and clean the damn thing. When putting it back together however, I got cheeky and replaced the old worn-down DS3 sticks with some DS4 spares I had lying around. So now I have a DS3 with some nice concave superior analogue sticks, ready to be put to good use.

...And then the games I want to play are so old they can't even process analogue input. :mrgreen:

Still dope, though. Makes it much more comfortable to handle right off the bat. 8-)

clippa

Post by clippa » June 17th, 2019, 7:01 pm

yaaas man! Congratuwelldone!

I don't think I had black label on the 360, or if I did, I never played it. I was just concentrating on getting my arse kicked in the main mode. I'll have to fire it up in mame and see what all the fuss is about.
Stanshall wrote:
apologies for my rare pissed up Animal Collective nonsense! :D
Yes, you made an absolute fool of yourself that night, you should be thoroughly ashamed Image

Phew! Lovely, blank, cleansing new page.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » June 17th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Cheers, clips! I'll defo be getting stuck into 1.5 next so I'll be aiming for your score when the time comes. Seems like not so many bullets but they're faster and fewer cancels.

There is no disgrace or shame in this thread, you're right, even after flying the flag for four acid casualties yodelling into a Speak and Spell.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 17th, 2019, 8:13 pm

:lol:
You know what, this feels a lot more familiar. Yeah, how you're switching weapons a lot less frequently and the extra bullets and slowdown during stage 3.
I think I was playing this all along and thinking it was the regular mode back on the 360.
I've yet to post a facepalm to the internet, but I'm this close.
Like ksub says, it's all very confusing.
Stage 3 boss seems harder than 1.5. Maybe I just need to get used to it. patterns seem harder and faster.

Wow, they really punish you for bombing, eh? You spend the whole stage building up a nice fat counter, one bomb during the boss and you lose the lot. Brutal!

clippa

Post by clippa » June 18th, 2019, 2:00 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 5:54 pm
The controller immediately stops working as soon as I turn on the analogue function via the PS3 emulator. That means d-pad only. Obviously it makes zero difference when playing with a stick but that's a bit rough for me.
There are a lot of arcade sticks that have a "mode" button where instead of the stick being the pov hat as default, it emulates the left analogue stick so you don't have to fart about redefining the controls or using joytokey or whatever.
Some pads have this function too, I'm sure I've got a logitech f310 where pressing the "mode" button swaps the d-pad for the analogue stick and vice versa.

According to this
All PlayStation 1 Games are compatible when played on a PlayStation 3 with the DualShock 4.
"Dualshock 4" on the ps3 is interchangeable with "any unsupported third party controller". The logitech f310 has a setting on the back for directinput, if I haven't chucked it and can find it in the garage, it's yours. Failing that, there'll be other pads made specifically for the ps3 with this feature, I'd imagine. Might be worth looking into if you can find something cheap.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » June 18th, 2019, 5:18 am

Congrats Stanshall! I watched some 1cc footage of that game to get the gist and it looks insanely tough. I can’t even fathom the pattern memorisation / traversal stuff. You got serious skills!

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » June 18th, 2019, 6:21 am

The insatiable addiction continues - bought Danmaku Unlimited 3 so I could have another fresh shmup while away. Also wanted to try Tate mode and knew this game had it, to pretend I’ve got a little tabletop arcade. Works a treat!

Played a couple of stages then passed out due to exhaustion (or Elvis Juice, one of the two). More tonight when the fam fall asleep!

clippa

Post by clippa » June 18th, 2019, 8:57 pm

Are they liquorice allsorts?

New futari black label score 280,521,336

I think I might have to hand in my witches license. I don't think I enjoy being evil anymore, I took absolutely no pleasure whatsoever in scouring the sheen off your 1cc, didn't even give me a semi throb on.

I didn't realise I had to fight that horrible big famously difficult boss at the end!
I wasn't ready for that, nor the extra life that popped up during stage 5. I was like "ooh, look ... Aaaaw!" as it buggered off up the screen.

Man, black label is so much fun! Better than 1.5, definitely, it's all the fun of the maniac modes but without such a difficulty bump. Really fun to play.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 18th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Big shot Mark has done a Rolling Gunner review. Gonna watch that now.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 19th, 2019, 2:16 am

Haven't smoked anything for the last 2 days if you don't include sucker MC's and Stanshall's scores. That's good, isn't it? Probably deserve some sort of fucking medal, do I?

Think I might be ready to make the public announcement that the c-man is rolling with the ls-40 these days.
Respect to all my homies kicking it oldschool with the ls-32, but sometimes a dogs got to move on and push things forward.

Been playing with an ls-32 downstairs tonight, and while there's not much in it, I think the ls-40 is my new weapon of choice, though I think I might have a slightly faulty one, either that or it just needs breaking in more.
When I hold up and then go up-right while riding the gate, it'll just keep registering as up, feels like there's an extra lump of plastic there or something. I'm gonna get another one for downstairs before I make the announcement just to be sure.

I feel more confident playing with it, everything feels a little tighter, I'm attempting things when with the ls-32 I'd normally just freeze and doubt myself, even with the "up right" thing which I've just been working around, that's got to be a good sign. It just feels like it's doing what I tell it more.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » June 19th, 2019, 3:40 am

Bravo, bravo, mon clip!

That said, full disclosure, my score represents perhaps the most cowardly 1CC known to man, playing against rank to keep bullet speed down and avoiding gems wherever I could. Playing the percentage game like a bleary eyed Big Sam. Hoof it up to the big lad. Three points in the bag. We'll enjoy tonight. Lads will have a day off and back in training on Monday. Once you hit the 9999, there are so many little snipers along the road that can nobble a run. Here's the footage:

https://youtu.be/wLTqh6CZBvc

Anyway, now I've got it out of my system, you've given me something to aim at! I did have a lot of fun learning the first couple of stages for score when I got the game, so looking forward to playing with integrity again. And I'm intrigued by the LS-40 experiments. As much as I'm enjoying the stick now versus pad, and I'm probably a bit better with it, I could still go for a shorter throw, I reckon. I did take on board what you said about not riding the gate, mind you, and that's made me realise I don't have to move the stick so much to get it to register. That's been a big help for little taps.
hazeredmist wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 6:21 am
The insatiable addiction continues - bought Danmaku Unlimited 3 so I could have another fresh shmup while away. Also wanted to try Tate mode and knew this game had it, to pretend I’ve got a little tabletop arcade. Works a treat!

Played a couple of stages then passed out due to exhaustion (or Elvis Juice, one of the two). More tonight when the fam fall asleep!
Cracking little game, one of the first on Switch that properly consumed me for the fifteen hours or so I've played it. Very pretty and flashy and the gameplay is tight. I go back every so often and it's always a winner. Glad you're enjoying it! Still no 1CC for me. It gets really tough.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 19th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Ooh, I wondered if we were gonna get a video! Will watch that tonight.
There is absolutely no shame in playing it safe. I bombed through nearly all the bosses during my one and only mushihimesama original 1cc. I told myself that I just wanted to get that first 1cc out the way and then I could start playing for score after that, I never managed to finish it again.

This futari black label still seems very doable to me even when you're pushing for score, if I'd have grabbed that extra life, I think I could have bombed through the last boss well enough.

I think danmaku 3 got rebalanced for the consoles but it took me a good 14 hours to 1cc the easiest mode on the easiest difficulty on pc. Compared to the second game, they really cranked it up.
I'll give you a shout when the second game is on sale, hazeredmist, it often goes for something daft like 70 pence. I know you don't like pc gaming but even if your house burns down, it was only 70p.
In the second game there was a fun risk/reward of getting in nice and close to the bigger enemies and the bosses to recharge your hyper. I really missed that mechanic in the 3rd game. They're both good, but I preferred the second because you were rewarded more for playing aggressively during the bosses.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 19th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Ooh, Hellsinker is coming to steam. That came out of nowhere.

Heard nothing but good things about this, it's one of those indie games I've had installed for ages but never got round to even booting up.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 19th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Have you been keeping an eye on the radirgy thread on the shmups forum, Stanshall? Lots of info being drip fed on there.
Mr.clippa

Thank you for asking our Radirgy Swag.
RS34 staffs hope to port other platforms, too.

Please look forward to development.

regards
I like the sound of that, it's mr. clippa from now on, especially to the likes of you lowly lot.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 20th, 2019, 3:06 am

Stanshall wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 3:40 am
https://youtu.be/wLTqh6CZBvc
Man, I felt that death where you were inching up the screen ready for the secret 1up and got clipped. Really unlucky.
I reckon you downplayed that. Some really good dodging and it gets plenty fast enough in the later stages even though you were keeping the rank down.

I'm gonna try and nick your strategy for the end of stage 3, I think I'm shifting about too much, doing big sweeps of the screen when it doesn't really look like you need to, at least until the last bit with the added ladybirds.
Your tappa tappa approach looks much more sensible.

Stage 3 is the hardest stage I reckon, becomes more of a nice downhill ride once you get over that bump.
I just bomb through the stage 3 boss, it's a nightmare when the ranks up. Always cack my pants at that bit.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » June 20th, 2019, 4:44 am

clippa wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 4:26 pm
Have you been keeping an eye on the radirgy thread on the shmups forum, Stanshall? Lots of info being drip fed on there.
Not for a few days but cheers. It's actually a fun game but I just don't know what's what yet. I saw someone did a little guide on Twitter to the different items but I've not been back much since then. It's not amazing but I like it. Really enjoyed the Rolling Gunner review, too. Seems very fair.

And thanks for the encouragement with Futari. That death was one of the painful ones where you see the key bullet you're trying to avoid and the closer you get it feels like you're on an unavoidable collision course! Watching back there are a few lucky bits, though, like that little sniper late on in stage 5 who pings a few bullets almost horizontally from point blank. I didn't even know he was there until the bullets had gone past me. I think there's one at the start of the stage three boss, too.

And I agree, second half of stage three is the key. It's really tough not to get squeezed somewhere along the way, when you've got three or four overlapping patterns coming from different angles. This was probably the most 'comfortable' run I've had because the big beetles with the long spears seemed to play ball but they're often the end of a run. Once it gets a bit chaotic in the last section, the slowdown is very very useful. And yeah, I try to take it as slowly as possible to just give myself room. Tap tap tap. It's also much easier and more consistent for me on the stick than on pad where I can't feel or hear the microswitches. I love those little clicks.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 20th, 2019, 6:27 pm

Fuck this? - https://streamable.com/16122
Oh, and can you also fuck this for me? - https://streamable.com/c8ag5

I don't want to talk about it.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » June 20th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Would you believe me if I said my winning run is the only time I've ever got that bastard 1-Up? I feel your pain. It's always JUST out of reach and usually ends in a death. Still, monster score...Bullets must be rrrapid at that rank.