Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
hazeredmist

Re: Shmups

Post by hazeredmist » July 23rd, 2019, 9:19 pm

Cheers mate. I wonder if any other PS1 shmups are on PSN! It seemed cheap (3.99), video looked decent but nowt spectacular.

On a handheld tip for the moment... can’t get in my arcade area with these hot nights, the boy’s door has to be open and tappy clicks etc will wake him up!

ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing » July 24th, 2019, 2:07 pm

I picked up Dimension Drive last week, and I think I've finally found a game that clicks with me.

It's sort of like Ikaruga.....in a way, except instead of changing colours, you jump from one side of the screen to the other.

I picked it up on a whim in HK last week and it's been a happy surprise.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 24th, 2019, 3:10 pm

My tiny rubber ball pea brain bounced straight off that! Stupid bloody warp into a fecking rock simulator.
I'm a fighter pilot, goddamn it! Surely there's a nerd on board who can handle the warp controls while I concentrate on the important business like swanning about in my velour uniform and tongue wrestling alien maidens.

Yaaaay, got my score with a 2 at the start of it in rolling gunner casual - 205,370,750

Blahem? I did ... something in hellsinker. I've unlocked "kagura" who's supposed to be a newbie friendly, more straight forward character, so we'll see how that goes.

Tooooo ... hot! Must ... go on.
hhhhwater .... must have ... coool .... refreshing ..... hhhhwater.

Has owly gone on holiday?

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » July 25th, 2019, 7:31 am

I started Soldner x-2 last night. I'm not sure how I feel about it really.

It's very clean, clinically so. 60fps so buttery smooth on the Vita, feels pretty good. The difficulty does change as you play it, with the rank going from S to G. As you evade bullets and shoot enemies without being hit your rank goes up, and then you're dealing with more bullets. I found myself obsessively checking what rank I was which was distracting me from the shmupping at hand. It was fun though, good bullet spraying and challenging. But it feels like some middle ground between old and new, and it could end up being further evidence that I'm not really into stuff that isn't bullet hell / Cave-style or whatever. We'll see.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » July 25th, 2019, 7:43 am

clippa wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 3:10 pm
Has owly gone on holiday?
:owl:

I don't remember seeing a permission slip

clippa

Post by clippa » July 25th, 2019, 11:44 am

I'm getting a bit worried now. A car might have clipped him on the autobahn while he was flying on his way to a kraftwerk gig.
He might be lying on his back in a ditch, hooting in despair. It doesn't bear thinking about.
He seemed utterly sick of my shit the other night, saying I didn't respect videogames.
He's probably just got his feet up having an ice lolly or something, isn't he? Big bowl full of worms for him to stick his pecker in.

They just said on the telly "this is hottest day in the world that you're ever gonna see"!

Chopper

Post by Chopper » July 25th, 2019, 11:52 am

I'm sure he's just taking a break from you numbskulls

clippa

Post by clippa » July 25th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Yeah, can't blame him really. He's probably standing outside the crèche having a cigarette and gently weeping. He'll be back looking semi-refreshed before we know it!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 25th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Pawarumi out now for around £13 on Switch and XO. 8/10 reviews from a couple of outlets.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 25th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Wow, look at the leap in score here for rolling gunner normal 296,126,510. Obviously it'll mostly be all the practise I've been doing in casual, but I think having a couple of goes on expert mode has helped me calm down a lot. Normal feels like casual after you've played that!

Still forgetting to bomb, ever the eternal optimist. I'm just always sure that I'm gonna skim that bullet that's coming straight for my nose.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 26th, 2019, 5:38 am

Ksubzero doesn't get the respect he deserves, I don't think. He's so logical and correct that he ends up representing some clean, sturdy pillar or some part of us that we feel the need to kick against.
It's easy to forget that there's a fallible owl behind there channelling it all and doing it better than anyone else on the forum.
He's a fucking wizard, that's what I think.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » July 26th, 2019, 8:30 am

:(

clippa

Post by clippa » July 26th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Something's happened. He'd be calling me a prick and saying he's not a wizard otherwise. Is he on his own?

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 26th, 2019, 12:09 pm

He sporadically goes through periods of radio silence, I shouldn’t worry too much.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 26th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Oh, right. The silence is deafening! I just mustn't have noticed it in the past. I hope he's just busy rather than down in the dumps.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 27th, 2019, 11:15 am

Right, THAT's it! If constant reassurance is too much to ask, if you're going to hide under the table all day long then I'm LEAVING you (slams door).

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 27th, 2019, 5:28 pm

...What the hell is going on here? Calm down, clippa. :lol:

I just took a break for a few days. I tend to put a lot of effort into my posts (to the point that it occasionally cuts into my productivity), and I get frustrated when it only results in trolling. So I thought it'd be best to stay away for a little while.

I also notice that the tone of this forum seems to have changed somehow and that it may have alienated some of our longstanding contributors. Lots of bickering and trolling going on and I keep finding myself in the middle of it. And even though I don't think that my posting style has changed or that I'm instigating any of it (I'm sure Leon would have said something if that were the case), I hate the idea that I might have indirectly contributed to ThirdMan or Joshi giving up on us, for example. :(

I care about this place and I think it should be preserved.

Anyway, I'm all right. Took the opportunity to recharge my batteries a little. Are we still playing shmups?

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » July 27th, 2019, 6:42 pm

I didn't see this at all, I take it this was in the Nintendo thread... I saw some massive posts and didn't have the time to check in properly. I'm sure it was all in good humour? Go easy on Clippa, he isn't the only one who missed your face in here :owl: Anyway, glad to see you back KSub! Have you played much lately yourself?

I fired up DDP Resurrection last night and did a training level on Black Label Novice. A lot of fun, I love these bombastic Cave games so much. Tonight I might give it a proper go...

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 27th, 2019, 6:52 pm

No, I'm not talking about the Nintendo thread which was completely civil, or any other single example, really. I just think the overall tone is rather different than it was 2 years ago. Then again, maybe my perspective is skewed or something.

I haven't played much, no. I tried to stay away from all sorts of screens as much as possible. Lots of reading and long evening walks, though. :)

I think I'll go back to BWRP asap. Such a great game.

DDPR is boss. Don't give up!

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » July 27th, 2019, 6:53 pm

Good to see you, KSub. I was only wondering about Joshi the other day, seems he's not been around for a month or so. I miss his arcade cab updates.

I'm too hot for shmups at the moment, and my gaming room doesn't get much breeze because it only has a skylight, but I'm getting heavily into the new Fire Emblem. That'll keep me going til it cools down a little. Evening walks are doing the trick for me, too, at the moment. Need a bit of fresh air to fall asleep with this heat!

I've got to say I hadn't noticed any particular trolling but if I've been a bit irreverent at times then I'll happily tone it down. I wouldn't like to think I'd put anyone off posting. I think my most fervent posts have been contained in this thread! Anyway, as you were...