Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Shmups

Post by Alex79 »

Just picked up G-Darius HD on Switch for a tenner in the sale. I didn't realise there were multiple versions of the game included, which gives a bit more value, but it's one of my favourite arcade shmups so looking forward to playing it later. Just need an Arcade Archives release of Armed Police Batrider now!
Will Marley

Post by Will Marley »

Alex79 wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 6:49 pm Just picked up G-Darius HD on Switch for a tenner in the sale. I didn't realise there were multiple versions of the game included, which gives a bit more value, but it's one of my favourite arcade shmups so looking forward to playing it later. Just need an Arcade Archives release of Armed Police Batrider now!
Brilliant game and another M2 banger.

No signs of Batrider and I think it's probably too big for ACA release. More likely to come eventually as a fully-fledged M2 ShotTriggers port.

If you have a PS4, the ShotTriggers release of Battle Garegga is probably the closest you'll get for now. Same dev, similar gameplay, imo even better, and absolute GOAT soundtrack. Also has several awesome extras including Premium Mode which takes away much of the rank management stuff and just leaves you with a pretty tough but very satisfying, more straightforward version of the game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I do have a PS4 but I hardly play on it at the moment as it's upstairs, but I'll probably swap it down for the Xbox when my Gamepass runs out later this year to play a bunch of Playstation stuff I want to revisit before resubscribing to Gamepass, I'll keep an eye out for that one, thanks!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

They released Batrider on the second Astro City Mini. I believe Leon has that.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I do!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I got the Andro Dunos II Dreamcast port in and spent a bit of time with it, last Sunday night.

As a port of a game built with tools for modern platforms and seeing how the devs (JoshProd) botched the Dreamcast ports of those Astroport games, I was getting increasingly worried, but to my relief it holds up pretty well. Like the 3DS version, it updates at 30fps (which is unusual but not unprecedented in the lineage of 2D shooters), but despite that the controls feel great and responsive on my CRT. And most details of the original PC release are intact, be it at 480p resolution.

The game itself is a very well made sequel/remake of a Neo-Geo hori that, while not bad, paled in comparison to the likes of Last Resort (at least in terms of wow factor) on the same platform, coming off like a run of the mill 16-bit shooter instead. Andro Dunos II takes the base idea of its 30 years old predecessor and runs with it, making for something quite fun and exciting!