Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: Shmups

Post by Stanshall »

HaloFandango wrote: August 6th, 2020, 7:21 am Extreme respect to anyone who can play bullet hell even remotely competently, I was watching the footage and it looks insane.
Thanks, man. Very kind. You do get into a kind of flow with it after a while where you're not distracted by all the noise. When you have a route down, there are usually only a handful of bullets which you need to dodge at any one time. The hit boxes are also really tiny, so you can make 'sick dodges' which are relatively safe. I find bullet hell games much easier than the old school shooters!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Stanshall wrote: July 30th, 2020, 1:55 pm Not played that one but I have heard it's got a couple of neat twists to it.

I've been extremely back on my Mushihimesama Futari bullshit. I hadn't played for ages because I broke my 360 stick but since I put together the new one, I've had little interest in anything else!

I always felt my previous PB of 391m on stage one was a bit flukey, and I didn't quite know how or why certain sections came off. Anyway, I've gone back over the last few days and tried to break it down and crack the 400m barrier. After a bit of frustration the first couple of days, I started to chain some break-through moments. It finally just came together and I smashed my PB with 425m. I actually roared with joy when I saw the score rack up.

It's not too far off WR and I also beat my inspiration iconoclast575's best score on YT. I also feel it's pretty repeatable because I actually understand each section now. I am absolutely psyched with this.

But yeah, err, time for stage two... :D
That was frickin' great, man. I never really messed with God Mode, so the scoring system is very much like 1.5 Maniac?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Michiel K wrote: August 7th, 2020, 9:43 am That was frickin' great, man. I never really messed with God Mode, so the scoring system is very much like 1.5 Maniac?
Cheers, mate. I'd say it's well worth a try, easily my favourite mode in the game and I think the most spectacular (even if I'm a bit biased!).

It does work similarly to 1.5 Maniac although it's a bit more interesting in how you manage the meter and counter. It's less about chaining than it is manipulating and delaying your cancels to build counter and also point blanking off screen to see the numbers really shooting up. There's lots of tap tap tapping on rapid shot to keep the meter in the red without cancelling too early. Scoring itself is straightforward, cancel max bullets on screen with max counter. There are almost no points available elsewhere so it's got a real flow to it in building up and cashing out.

There are only four moments in the stage where you score heavily, obviously midboss and stage boss. You can get about 170-180m per boss for a 30k cancel with max bullets on screen. Besides that, you can get a fairly straightforward 40-45m cashing in your 30k cancel on those islands just before the stage boss. These are the big scoring zones, but there's also potential to get another 43m before the midboss according to the WR run. I get around 30m on average which I'm pretty pleased with because it's consistent now. The WR dude, NAK, basically point blanks the entire stage and is constantly looking for little cancels here and there to squeeze a couple of million extra from different sections. He's way beyond anyone else, really.

He got 459m on the first stage!

I'm taking a break from the scoring stats and trying to clear BL Maniac at the moment. Done a couple of NMNB runs to stage 3 boss now so I think it's doable if I get over my bomb reluctance. It's funny how little I know the game past that point, though, considering how much I've played it!
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Stanshall wrote: August 7th, 2020, 8:10 am
HaloFandango wrote: August 6th, 2020, 7:21 am Extreme respect to anyone who can play bullet hell even remotely competently, I was watching the footage and it looks insane.
Thanks, man. Very kind. You do get into a kind of flow with it after a while where you're not distracted by all the noise. When you have a route down, there are usually only a handful of bullets which you need to dodge at any one time. The hit boxes are also really tiny, so you can make 'sick dodges' which are relatively safe. I find bullet hell games much easier than the old school shooters!
I remember Michiel saying before when I was over at his place, that these kind of shmups are very mesmerizing and put you in another state of mind.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Anyone on Super XYX?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Marlew

Post by Marlew »

That's a belter, and one that Haze and Clippa played quite a lot way back when. I managed to clear it eventually, great game.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Now with added cute tat/desirable gubbins.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Brilliant game. Saw something on Twitter about them releasing a physical version.

@Marlew - what's the name change for? Sorry if you've addressed this elsewhere, I have less time to dick around on forums these days. I spotted it on Twitter first :)
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

hazeredmist wrote: August 27th, 2020, 4:50 pm Brilliant game. Saw something on Twitter about them releasing a physical version.

@Marlew - what's the name change for? Sorry if you've addressed this elsewhere, I have less time to dick around on forums these days. I spotted it on Twitter first :)
Spoiler: show
Just consolidating various social accounts into one, to be honest. Nothing major. I've always been cautious about online stuff after some fucking lunatic AWOL marine fleeing extradition turned up at my workplace with a samurai sword because he took a joke the wrong way. I finally decided to let that go after fifteen years.
And yeah, I won't be buying physical because I'm not fussed about that stuff but I feel like redownloading it :) I never managed to clear Hard, I don't think, but I'd like to.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Woah. For real? Jesus.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Marlew wrote: August 27th, 2020, 9:33 pm
hazeredmist wrote: August 27th, 2020, 4:50 pm Brilliant game. Saw something on Twitter about them releasing a physical version.

Just consolidating various social accounts into one, to be honest. Nothing major. I've always been cautious about online stuff after some fucking lunatic AWOL marine fleeing extradition turned up at my workplace with a samurai sword because he took a joke the wrong way. I finally decided to let that go after fifteen years.
And yeah, I won't be buying physical because I'm not fussed about that stuff but I feel like redownloading it :) I never managed to clear Hard, I don't think, but I'd like to.
You know you could have just asked Jay to change your original account name? :)
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

I didn't, but in hindsight, that would have been more straightforward all round...
ratsoalbion wrote: August 27th, 2020, 10:23 pm Woah. For real? Jesus.
And yeah, true story.
He bounced to another country after attacking a mate of a mate in the street not long after, and he left a traceable trail of bedlam when he got there, too. As much as I was one of many, he went to some effort to set up fake accounts to find out where I worked and lived and what I looked like from other community members I'd previously met up with. He reported our business and us to the police, immigration and local government repeatedly for a range of shit (my mate's husband worked for the police and told us) and when that didn't go anywhere he just turned up with a katana. I used to run a lot of community events, out there, cultural exchanges and stuff, put on lots of gigs for local and expat musicians, club nights, got local chefs in to run cookery courses, put on a music festival, another mate and I had a radio show. That side of me just stopped shortly after and looking back now, I regret that. It's almost impossible for me to treat the Internet without immense caution but I'm trying to be a bit more open and put myself out there. I will almost certainly delete this post.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Good lord. Proper scary shit.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Jesus... Clearly got some issues going on there.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Geez yes, that reminds me of
when I had an ex convict from Philadelphia upset with me on my favourite Hip-Hop board and he was making threats about flying over to Amsterdam to attack me and my wife. I didn't expect him to follow through, but just in case I told my wife not to open the door for strangers and keep the kukri blades within grabbing range.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hamster have brought the fairly average EDF and the much more fun Gemini Wing to their Arcade Archives series recently. I wouldn't bother with EDF, but Gemini Wing I've had a lot of fun with before in MAME. Shall probably pick this up for Switch at some point.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Was giving the SNES version of EDF a quick go in the Super Nintendo app on Switch and it was more compelling than I expected it to be. Crazy amount of weapons to choose from, although a fair few seem unwieldy/bad.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's an odd one. The arcade version just came out on Hamster's Arcade Archives label a few weeks back too.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Yeah, that was what Alex was saying and what I was responding to. :P