Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
duskvstweak

Re: Shmups

Post by duskvstweak »

Quick question and then I'll get out of here. I played Symphony a few nights ago and it was a pleasant time. Is it a Shmup? Has anyone else played it?
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I’d say so yeah. Shmups extend way beyond the bullet hell stuff mostly discussed in here in reality. We could do with some variety if you’re game :) Just checked a trailer of symphony - I hadn’t heard of that but it sounds intriguing - visually reminds me of TxK, with Lumines type music stuff?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

A lot of us were playing shmups before bullet hell was even a thing, so curtains of projectiles are absolutely not a mandatory feature of the genre!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

In Symphony, you use your own music. The faster the song, the faster enemies come at you. But, you also have weapons like the subwoofer which autofires in accordance to the song as well. The slower the song, the less points you can obtain. I was playing to some of my favorite OCRemixes and it put me a pretty good mood. Except when I died five times to the Dire Dire Docks theme.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

And fairly off putting for some!

EDIT: In response to Leon's curtains of bullets not being mandatory comment.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Also: very much possible to shmup & newborn

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

That's interesting stuff and I love that little train 1up secret! Reminds me of Batrider and all the crazy little bonuses in there. I'm also totally unsure who I prefer. I think the 11yo girl is perhaps the best. Good straight normal shot which gets properly wide and great spray for the secondary.

Looking forward to KSub's copy turning up!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Seriously, just start without me. I'm a bit busy anyway and it'll be fun to read along everybody else's progress. :)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

duskvstweak wrote: December 20th, 2019, 6:08 pm In Symphony, you use your own music. The faster the song, the faster enemies come at you. But, you also have weapons like the subwoofer which autofires in accordance to the song as well. The slower the song, the less points you can obtain. I was playing to some of my favorite OCRemixes and it put me a pretty good mood. Except when I died five times to the Dire Dire Docks theme.
This sounds cool, I like the idea of using my own music.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: December 20th, 2019, 6:55 pm Yaaaay! Best christmas ever!
Aye!

All my favourite christmases are when my dad drops me off at the children’s home, I’ve only just twigged what’s going on and I run after the car screaming, only for my “keyworker” to hold me back

...in this version though, he just drives round the block laughing and returns with a big beaming smile and hands me a Christmas present - it’s a radio controlled car! - rubs my head and says “get in the car son, we’re going home!”. I’m beaming with joy as the tears dry on my cheeks.

And then we all live happily ever after!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

^ Hahaha!

OK, no worries, K, but I'm happy to wait for the postman :D

I should say I'm also pretty deep into Futari again after picking it back up a few days ago. I got my PB by a mile first thing after I woke up, totally lost my route early on but just went for it and everything came off. Done a few more similar runs over the course of the day and it's getting kind of consistent. Feels weird that I dropped it a month ago thinking 250m would be a dream. 350m is the first extend, would be wild to optimise this and hit that in stage one. Not far to go.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

The twists and turns this thread takes! I need to sit down for a spell. Glad to have you back, Stanshall!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Hahaha. Biggest laugh since Chopper's captions.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Archetype looks really good. I'm not seeing any release date / platform but I'm definitely interested.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Shmups! Yes. It’s like the old days!

I bought Caladrius Blaze last night. Played the first stage, it seems a lot of fun. Couldn’t miss out this time - it was £3 on Steam. It’s £23 on Switch! I’m sure one of you told me to leave it last time it was on sale but fuck it, I’m going rogue.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Stanshall is back, after me having 100% bought into his Offline Social Manifesto and ready to follow him to the ends of the earth? Motherfuuuuu......

Beware of false prophets....but welcome back buddy :D
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I will never live this down. That said, I haven't been on any other forum, so I'm very proud of my superhuman efforts.

Yo clip, that's a damn good effort. My best so far is 48m or something, only got to stage 4 a handful of times. I'm also struggling with who to pick. There's some new Deathsmiles type in the M2 port which is actually my favourite but I think she's deliberately there for scoring so seems like not a fair choice. That said, I've still not come near your score yet.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Good fucking lord I love Rolling Gunner so much. It’s joined the ranks of Streets of Rage 2 as a game I can’t just have a quick bash on, I have to complete it. Not out of compulsion but sheer joy at how it makes me feel playing through it. It’s the perfect shmup. Exhilarating as fuck and I can’t and won’t ever get enough. I don’t know why I gel with it so much but I do. Every element of the game hits a 10. Everything.

I’ve only mastered the first difficulty level too, I’m so excited to continue up the ranks. On that note, I’m switching up right now!

Rolling Gunner. If you haven’t played it, fix this immediately.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I need a Switch. :(