Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
hazeredmist

Re: Shmups

Post by hazeredmist »

I started Soldner x-2 last night. I'm not sure how I feel about it really.

It's very clean, clinically so. 60fps so buttery smooth on the Vita, feels pretty good. The difficulty does change as you play it, with the rank going from S to G. As you evade bullets and shoot enemies without being hit your rank goes up, and then you're dealing with more bullets. I found myself obsessively checking what rank I was which was distracting me from the shmupping at hand. It was fun though, good bullet spraying and challenging. But it feels like some middle ground between old and new, and it could end up being further evidence that I'm not really into stuff that isn't bullet hell / Cave-style or whatever. We'll see.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: July 24th, 2019, 5:10 pmHas owly gone on holiday?
:owl:

I don't remember seeing a permission slip
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I'm sure he's just taking a break from you numbskulls
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Pawarumi out now for around £13 on Switch and XO. 8/10 reviews from a couple of outlets.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

:(
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

He sporadically goes through periods of radio silence, I shouldn’t worry too much.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

...What the hell is going on here? Calm down, clippa. :lol:

I just took a break for a few days. I tend to put a lot of effort into my posts (to the point that it occasionally cuts into my productivity), and I get frustrated when it only results in trolling. So I thought it'd be best to stay away for a little while.

I also notice that the tone of this forum seems to have changed somehow and that it may have alienated some of our longstanding contributors. Lots of bickering and trolling going on and I keep finding myself in the middle of it. And even though I don't think that my posting style has changed or that I'm instigating any of it (I'm sure Leon would have said something if that were the case), I hate the idea that I might have indirectly contributed to ThirdMan or Joshi giving up on us, for example. :(

I care about this place and I think it should be preserved.

Anyway, I'm all right. Took the opportunity to recharge my batteries a little. Are we still playing shmups?
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I didn't see this at all, I take it this was in the Nintendo thread... I saw some massive posts and didn't have the time to check in properly. I'm sure it was all in good humour? Go easy on Clippa, he isn't the only one who missed your face in here :owl: Anyway, glad to see you back KSub! Have you played much lately yourself?

I fired up DDP Resurrection last night and did a training level on Black Label Novice. A lot of fun, I love these bombastic Cave games so much. Tonight I might give it a proper go...
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

No, I'm not talking about the Nintendo thread which was completely civil, or any other single example, really. I just think the overall tone is rather different than it was 2 years ago. Then again, maybe my perspective is skewed or something.

I haven't played much, no. I tried to stay away from all sorts of screens as much as possible. Lots of reading and long evening walks, though. :)

I think I'll go back to BWRP asap. Such a great game.

DDPR is boss. Don't give up!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Good to see you, KSub. I was only wondering about Joshi the other day, seems he's not been around for a month or so. I miss his arcade cab updates.

I'm too hot for shmups at the moment, and my gaming room doesn't get much breeze because it only has a skylight, but I'm getting heavily into the new Fire Emblem. That'll keep me going til it cools down a little. Evening walks are doing the trick for me, too, at the moment. Need a bit of fresh air to fall asleep with this heat!

I've got to say I hadn't noticed any particular trolling but if I've been a bit irreverent at times then I'll happily tone it down. I wouldn't like to think I'd put anyone off posting. I think my most fervent posts have been contained in this thread! Anyway, as you were...
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

No no, it's not you. I wasn't trying to focus on anybody in particular.

I'm all for joking around as long as it's in good fun, I just think that the limit of what is acceptable seems to have slightly shifted over time and that it happens to coincide with some contributors apparently leaving us for good. I miss them too. :(

Maybe it's all in my head, I just thought it might be important for me to toe the line a bit more. I don't want to contribute to the problem (insofar as there is a problem, of course) or to be a bad influence on new posters.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I must admit, it’s usually a good while before I notice that any one particular individual has ceased posting.

If anyone ever sees a post with which they aren’t comfortable, please feel free to draw it to my attention. Don’t worry that I’ll dive in all heavy handed without sensitively considering the context and such.

Like Camille - even more so I expect - I want this place to be preserved. It is difficult striking that balance between respectfully civil and humourless ‘echo chamber’, but I believe it’s important that we try.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

All Joshi’s posts for the final several months had a little aside that disparaged modern games, so you could see he was getting stuck in a bit of a rut. At least it seemed that way. I’m sure he’s happier being away from it for a while.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

People have downtime from the internet and forums all the time, it doesn't necessarily mean it's because the conversation has ground them down. Sometimes you wake up and decide you want to use your phone less, that's normal. Isn't it? I've had this in my life many times, where I realise I'm using certain things to excess and need to cut back. Even when I'm enjoying them. I haven't seen anyone here descend into that toxic mentality I've seen on other forums.

I guess an issue here is nobody really knows where the other person's line is, and sometimes banter can suddenly not be banter for one party as a result. But I truly believe nobody here wants anything other than decent discussion, debate and fun times. The day that ends I'll be off myself, but we're not there.

Can we please talk about shmups :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 27th, 2019, 8:52 pm I just think the overall tone is rather different than it was 2 years ago.
I'd agree with that, but I think that's only natural as a forum grows in size and popularity. It's still the friendliest place on the Internet and the only forum I post on with any regularity.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Alex79uk wrote: July 28th, 2019, 12:14 amIt's still the friendliest place on the Internet and the only forum I post on with any regularity.
This!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Usually when I step away it’s cause I’ve realised that *I’m* being a dick and give myself a timeout.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: July 27th, 2019, 11:34 pm Can we please talk about shmups :)
You know what? That sounds like a fantastic idea.

So Stan is taking a climate-induced break at the moment, but what about the rest of you? Awfully quiet in here...

I'm still on BWRP, boringly enough. I don't think I've played any other shmup this past month. This game is so good, I wanna share the love!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've certainly been on a break from playing with intensity and any goals, although I was making some breakthroughs in Futari with my stage one scoring, that's on my mind again. I started to realise that if you chase the larger gems and sweep them up before moving onto the next enemy, rather than just absorbing them through relative proximity, your combo goes up noticeably quicker. This means that as much as possible between enemies, you need to stop firing or rapid shot and sweep quickly, before shredding the next enemy for the point blank gems. It becomes almost like a rhythm game. On the other hand, if you're not very quick about this, you'll miss out on the point blank opportunity with the next enemy so there's always a risk/reward thing going on. Sometimes it's better to not sweep them up and just get to the top of the screen ASAP and start shredding. It's so ripe for experimentation, endlessly deep. And this is just half of stage one on BL Original Mode, you know? There's a lifetime of game here for those so inclined.

I can hear the siren calling me onto the rocks...

“Kyaaaaa!”
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: July 30th, 2019, 8:52 am I can hear the siren calling me onto the rocks...
I'll get the wax and the bondage gear.