Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Michiel K

Re: Shmups

Post by Michiel K »

clippa wrote: June 28th, 2019, 4:26 pm I've been playing casual mode today as well. Getting into it now. Nearly got my 1cc. Man, that last boss is tricky.

I feel like casual is too easy and normal is too hard. Wish there was a porridge that was just right for me.
Maybe once I git gud in casual mode, normal will start to feel a lot more lenient.
I think that's exactly it. Once you've cleared Casual, you're ready for Original.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: June 28th, 2019, 4:56 pm Deathsmiles is very noob friendly if you're sniffing around the cave games on steam. That was my first cave 1cc on the 360.
DoDonPachi Resurrection is equally noob friendly when using Strong Style, plus it's actually good and a lot less creepy.

I thought of mentioning it earlier, but I didn't want to throw Haze in at the deep end right away. Let's see how he gets along with Crimzon Clover first. :D
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Yeah Strong Style is friggin' OP. I believe it was time-locked in the arcade release. That, with auto-bombs, can carry you far into the game.

I know Stanshall did, but for anyone that didn't listen to this episode of SoP yet, I think we picked some fine tracks from the genre's history: https://caneandrinse.com/shoot-em-up-special/
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: June 28th, 2019, 6:21 pm Fight me.
...I think there might be some weight class issue. :lol:

clippa wrote: June 28th, 2019, 6:21 pm Bullet Soul Infinite Burst (£4.39) might be a good shout
Hey, do you know why it says "OS: Windows7/8.1/10"? Would it suddenly not work on Windows 8?
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Crimzon Clover is great! Has a very classic feel to me, detailed and immensely fun. I’m going to hammer this I think... played the first few stages, definitely feels accessible. Thank you for the recommendation, Ksub!

RE PC gaming, it’s not too bad loading this up, the stick worked straight away and everything works great. Steam sale games are suddenly available to me!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: June 28th, 2019, 10:06 pm Crimzon Clover is great! Has a very classic feel to me, detailed and immensely fun. I’m going to hammer this I think... played the first few stages, definitely feels accessible.
Magnificent! :)

DOUBLE
BREAK
MODE

Very happy to hear you're enjoying it. There is no turning back now!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I fired up Futari Black Label Original tonight. What a rough transition from Rolling Gunner! The bullet speed really caught me off guard... and it's slower than 1.5! Reco's beetle options are fantastic here, as you can just stay out of harm's way in certain stage 3 situations, while they take care of business. After a couple of failed starts, I got to my 1.5 nemesis, the stage 3 spider boss and died quickly. I no missed until after the mid boss of that stage however, after which things went south quickly. Black Label seems stingier with extends?

Anyway, hats off to Stan & clippa. Feels like I still have my work cut out for me.

EDIT: I watched your 1CC, clipz. You play like an absolute madman, the way you're darting fast all over the screen. I tend to move much slower. And you've got some serious confidence going on with your point-blanking. I saw my homie the spider getting one in on you, right before he kicked the bucket. All in all, really well done. Inspirational video.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Played all the way through Crimzon - I really love it. So inventive and fun! I will be doing it plenty more times for sure. My laptop held out perfectly which is nice. I obviously burned through loads of credits but right now I’m just enjoying experiencing all this as I learn the craft. It’s nice to play through something else after hammering Neko for a while.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

...I gave in to peer pressure and made a Steam account. No, I don't want to talk about it.

But yes, I would like to be everybody's friend! I already sent out a few requests to those I could find but feel free to add me otherwise. "KSubzero1000", unsurprisingly.

I grabbed DoDonPachi Resurrection, Mushihimesama, Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst, Steel Vampire, The Hurricane of the Varstray & (last but not least) Space Moth DX. And I redeemed my leftover keys for Blue Revolver & Danmaku Unlimited 2 as well.

Good news: Almost all of them run perfectly well on my laptop despite all the misleading system requirements! :o

Even Blue Revolver works like a charm this time around. I must assume the previous version I had was faulty somehow.

I can finally play DDPR BL! Including Ketsuipachi! Joy!! :P

Bad news: Steel Vampire runs just fine in the menu, but immediately sinks to 15-20fps in-game. Hoping for a fix, although I couldn't find anything even resembling a solution.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: June 29th, 2019, 4:58 pm That's weird. Have you tried turning off vsync and seeing what that does?
Right, ahem... Where do I do that? I couldn't find any in-game option.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I checked, and those options are set to "Use Application Settings" by default.

Windowed mode doesn't change anything. 60fps in menus but goes straight below 20fps as soon as gameplay starts. Very annoying. Can you think of any other solution?

PS: Btw, if I may ask. Why do you snob the DDP games so much? I think they're some of the best examples of the genre, by and large.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: June 29th, 2019, 8:15 pm Sorry if I sounded like I was ragging on it.
Oh no, you most definitely weren't. It's just a bit surprising to me that someone who is as invested in shmups as you are would have so little to say about what is arguably the most prominent and polished series on the market. That's like a massive TBS fan who curves Civ. :lol:

I hope you get to play SDOJ someday. It's an excellent game through and through.

Yeah, I don't think I'll refund SV. Perhaps I'll find a solution at some point.

I already grabbed Dokingan back when you were proselytising it a few months back. ;)
Didn't get on with it, to be honest. The lack of menu / options rubbed me the wrong way. I'm sure it has interesting mechanical elements but it's a bit bare-boned for my tastes.

EDIT: I was considering buying Exceed but took it out of the shopping cart at the last minute. I find the aesthetics offputting and I have more than enough to play otherwise. Even in terms of grazing shmups, I still have Shikhondo, DU2 & DU3 to dive into. The next one of the list is Psyvariar Delta, because that one has been a looong time coming.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: June 29th, 2019, 8:41 pm edit: So what you playing at the minute then? Have you decided on something yet or are you hopping about at the minute and just seeing what sticks?
I'm still on Futari, but I hit a wall on Stage 3 and haven't played for a few days. Will try again tomorrow.

Otherwise, Crimzon Clover for when I want to play something a bit more relaxing and only have time for a quick session. Probably the first time anybody described CC as "relaxing", but hey.

Today was a bit hectic, that's true! In-between installing and testing to see if everything works, next thing you know it's dark outside. :P

PS: I did request a refund for SV after all. I think I'll then simply double-dip on CC since it only costs half of the refund money. That way I can grab those sweet Steam achievements and compare scores with Haze. 8-)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Congrats on the Rolling Gunner 1cc Clippa!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Score comparisons... you’re really going to see how far behind I am :D
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I’ve given up on 1cc stuff myself for now. I found myself ending runs when losing loved after attempts on Neko, it feels quite far away due to Day 7 requiring substantial training and the last thing I want is to end up joylessly chasing something. Instead I did another clear on easy, free of the burden, enjoyed the hell out of it and now fancy a bash at finishing hard which I think might be possible.

Neko still has a fantastic challenge with limited credits I think, other games seem to give you endless credits on easy (Shikhondo for one). I don’t mind that as at least you get to experience all the levels with some perseverance despite being shite at them.

After the joys of Crimzon Clover last night I think I’m having a night off but will play more of that next, it was so much fun.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Hesitant to ask but are there many other shmups in this steam sale that shouldn't be missed? 8-)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: June 30th, 2019, 10:40 am Hesitant to ask but are there many other shmups in this steam sale that shouldn't be missed? 8-)
Clippa posted this rather extensive list a few days ago:
clippa wrote: June 26th, 2019, 8:49 am
Spoiler: show
Not everything but a decent list to pick through if you're looking for a bargain in the steam sale.

Blue Revolver
eXceed 3rd - Jade Penetrate Black Package
Mushihimesama --¦¦-- 1.5 dlc
DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu
Deathsmiles
Eschatos and Judgement Silversword Bundle
The Hurricane of The Varstray --¦¦-- Threat of Third Force DLC
Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst
Jet Buster
Neko Navy
Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo
Steel Vampire
Crimzon Clover
Danmaku Unlimited 2
Space Moth DX
ZeroRanger
Danmaku Unlimited 3
Bullet heaven 2
Fire Arrow Plus
Graze Counter
Zenodyne R
Trouble Witches
The Void Rains Upon Her Heart
Armed Seven
QP Shooting Dangerous
Super Galaxy Squadron EX Turbo
Tenta Shooter
Barrage Musical ~A Fantasy of Tempest~
Dariusburst
Shikhondo
Earth Defense Force 4.1 Wingdiver The Shooter
Space Invaders Extreme
Game Tongoku CruisinMix
Psyvariar
Refrain Prism Memories
Raiden IV

Top down shooter roguelite, but is often thrown into the shmup category- Monolith
There is obviously a lot to wade through here. If I were to recommend only the best of the best, I'd say:

DoDonPachi Resurrection for 13,99€. Price is a bit steep compared to some of the others, but I honestly think that it's one of the best shmups ever made. The DDP games by CAVE are hard to ignore, and this re-release is bursting at the seams with lots of different modes aimed at players of various skill levels. If you ever want to move up to the GOD TIER big leagues, this is arguably the best one to do so with (apart from CC, which you already own).

Mushihimesama including DLC for 11,49€ is another heavyweight by CAVE. I don't think it's quite as good as DDPR, but it certainly belongs in every shmup fan's collection. It's also the little brother of the Futari game we've been playing recently.

Ikaruga for 4,49€ is a fantastic choice if you fancy something in a completely different style but on the same level of quality. Think of it as the classical music equivalent to Crimzon Clover's drum 'n' bass. It's weird, difficult and it even has some mind-bending puzzle elements, but very, very much worth it. There is nothing quite like it.

Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst for 5,99€ is another great game at an attractive price point. Very beginner-friendly.

Lastly, The Hurricane of the Varstray including DLC for 1,55€ probably represents some of the best value for money in the whole sale. I haven't put that much time into it, but everything I've seen so far suggests that it's an excellent game in its own right. Hard to go wrong at that price.

There are others worth mentioning (I know clippa swears by Blue Revolver, Deathsmiles and Eschatos for example), but those would be my top five suggestions in order.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate this - these are great to look through! Got a few days of the sale thankfully. A few are catching my eye...

"Jade Penetrate Black Package" :D :o
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Good God, Crimzon Clover is fantastic.