Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: Shmups

Post by Stanshall »

I love both Kraftwerk and Beethoven but I am more of a Kompakt guy at heart. Try Pop by GAS for a record probably equidistant between Florian and Ludwig and influenced by both. I also absolutely adore Can. Future Days and Ege Bamyasi are my faves.

Bit burned out on bullet hell at the mo, I can't get motivated to get stuck into either Futari or DOJ but I'm really enjoying some ESP and as I said up/over the page, Darius Cozmic Collection is brilliant, so I'm playing plenty of that, too. Every single version on there is distinct in terms of level design and enemies patterns and stuffy so there's a hell of a lot of game there, rather than just Darius, Darius 2 and Darius Gaiden. Every version is worthwhile and fun.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

KSubzero1000 wrote: December 30th, 2019, 12:11 pmstrange
We’re all strange ksub. I’d wager you could write a book about each of us here. The one about you would be 30,000 pages long and almost entirely about your personal requirements for games to meet in order for you to play them :D

The book about Stan would be the best one of course. Like Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNabb.

Side note: I love vinyl and have a massive collection. Here’s where I play it!

And now: back to the ksub & clippa show. This week, ksub has been seen texting another bloke. How will clippa react? Stay tuned to find out!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Quick go on Rolling Gunner earlier to test the split pad pro, obviously turned into a completion and happily another 1cc but didn’t touch my best score. Definitely a concentration thing. Lost loads of lives on easy bits, smashed the hard bits. Trying to use the normal fire button more like you lot said. It’s hard unlearning what I’ve taught myself!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It is hard to unlearn that muscle memory. I also found that while the Hori D-pad is way better for shmups, I still like the analogue stick for Rolling Gunner, weirdly enough. I think it must be a muscle memory thing, as well. Same reason I'm absolutely shit at Ikaruga on an arcade stick. All my movements are based on the Pro Controller analogue stick.

On an ESP Ra.De. Psi note, I was a bit surprised to see my Switch playtime update and see I've already put 15 hours in, while remaining thoroughly shit at it. Such a beast of a game, though, and I really hope it sells well enough for M2 to keep working their way through the Cave catalogue. Original Dodonpachi would be so great and on identical tech so hopefully very doable.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

They’ve got to put it out in the EU store sometime surely? I want this on Switch. Just don’t fancy the Japanese account switching stuff.

It’s cliche at this point but I want everything on switch. Except visual novels. They’re best on vita for some reason.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Got slightly excited thinking that was tonight thanks to big shot mark’s tweet.

Tomorrow it is then... I love GDQ, would love to spend more time absorbing it but the bits I do get to see are always excellent whatever the game is. It’s fascinating seeing such skill on display and games being torn apart.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: January 7th, 2020, 11:25 pm Esp ra de! I haven't played that for a week or something. You got that yet, owly?
Nope. Should arrive any day now, hopefully.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I dipped back into Futari God last night and it's weird how time away helps things sink in. I matched my stage one PB after about three attempts and was a whisker away from destroying it but died on the easiest (last) section of the stage boss and blew my 30k counter. First time I ever had a full counter there. Would have been 400k score, I reckon. Iconoclast tier. Well, shit. Anyway, it bodes well that I've not completely lost it from a few weeks off.

Really looking forward to Gus this evening but I wish there was an alternative to Twitch because I find the chat fuckin chronic. I'm too old for chat, it's just a hateful distraction and irritation. I can't understand the value, it moves too fast for anyone to read each other's comments. Is it just fun to type out some shit? *checks posting history*

Ah, I get it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Except for good ol' boy Gus.

I sound like the blacksmith from Dark Souls 2.

https://youtu.be/zGSccMuAh18

It must be a Futari thing.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: January 8th, 2020, 6:55 am Really looking forward to Gus this evening but I wish there was an alternative to Twitch because I find the chat fuckin chronic. I'm too old for chat, it's just a hateful distraction and irritation. I can't understand the value, it moves too fast for anyone to read each other's comments. Is it just fun to type out some shit?
Just wanted to say that I completely agree with twitch chat and its hyperactive scrolling of stupidity being a nuisance (save for very small channels with an actual back and forth between the host and the audience). But you can and should deactivate it. Chat Settings (the little cog bottom right) > Hide Chat. Always the first thing I do on any larger channel and I recommend it wholeheartedly.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Sadly not an option on the app so I'll have to watch it through the browser. Not the worst compromise though, I know. I'm just being an old git.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I see we're all getting an extra dose of mental today. :lol:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Pretty much bang on as long as 'living my life' = 'fartin around in Yoshi's Crafted World'.

Actually, I'm gonna go home early and ceremonially piledrive my Futari God PB to honour and bless the Gusman. Look, I don't wanna get ahead of myself and make promises I can't keep but I might even play stage fuckin two
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Bravo. I have no idea what game that is but I'm guessing Monolith.

GUS FUTARI ULTRA 1.01 AT GDQ STARTS IN ONE HOUR.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Excellent, I’ll be tuned in fingers crossed.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Great way to open, taking the piss out of the community :D “bullet heck”
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

He’s using a pad!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

This is mental. Love it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

That commentator with the nasally voice gesticulating in the background is something else. :lol:
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

He is! The enthusiasm is so infectious. This is so fucking good

Oh, oh oh oh oh... OH MY GOD YES! :D

Watching these patterns is probably taking years off my life let alone Gusto... twisting and knarling in my bed mesmerised... such a cool moment this and watching it with these guys you really feel part of something

I am pumped!