Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Shmups

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Cool!

Out of curiosity, what's your status on Ketsui at the moment? And do you have Bullet Soul or not?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I gave Danmaku Unlimited 3 another go.

Good news: I turned off V-Sync, which appears to have fixed most of my framerate problems, which is great.

Bad news: As far as I can tell, the game doesn't have any built-in replay save feature. Which would take a lot of the enjoyment out of the competition, I think...

clippa wrote: August 24th, 2019, 1:29 pm I'm assuming everyone has mame on something or other?
Might be the best bet if we want to involve everyone.
I don't. Why would it be best? I don't exactly fancy installing it, especially when I already have so many games at my disposal.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: August 24th, 2019, 2:28 pm It'd have to be a game that's pretty much available on every platform and relatively new, we're gonna have 3 games to pick from or something and they're all gonna be crap.
I think we would all have access to DDPR and BSIB, for example.

Not what I would call "crap".
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

KSubzero1000 wrote: August 24th, 2019, 2:50 pm
clippa wrote: August 24th, 2019, 2:28 pm It'd have to be a game that's pretty much available on every platform and relatively new, we're gonna have 3 games to pick from or something and they're all gonna be crap.
I think we would all have access to DDPR and BSIB, for example.

Not what I would call "crap".
Yeah, I've got both of them. Would be up for either.

I could MAME through the Wii so also doable. Original Dodonpachi? ;)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I’m down for this!!! Wish we could work out some sort of handicap system. Possible...?
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

@owly - I agree on mouse and keyboard. I hate them, use them every day for work why would I want to game with them!

However - ergonomics on handhelds, I agree to an extent but I’ve solved that issue with my Shield Portable and Switch with Satisfye grip. Both are as good as holding a normal console pad :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: August 24th, 2019, 5:39 pm Yeah, I've got both of them. Would be up for either.

I could MAME through the Wii so also doable. Original Dodonpachi? ;)
Okay, Mister Cold Fish. Let's try it a third time: Thoughts on KETSUI? :P

I have OG DDP on PS3. I can try and get used to the d-pad controls if that's the one we choose.

clippa wrote: August 24th, 2019, 6:26 pm I'll stay out of the game choosing process, make it easier.
[...]
Ooh, what about dangle feverlegs? Nice and fast!
That brain of yours is nothing short of fascinating, my dear.

hazeredmist wrote: August 24th, 2019, 6:57 pm I’m down for this!!! Wish we could work out some sort of handicap system. Possible...?
Sure! Stan, Michiel and I will compete against each other, while you, clippa and Alex will have a separate leaderboard. That seems fair. :P

hazeredmist wrote: August 24th, 2019, 6:59 pm However - ergonomics on handhelds, I agree to an extent but I’ve solved that issue with my Shield Portable and Switch with Satisfye grip. Both are as good as holding a normal console pad :)
Good to know about the holding comfort, but I would hazard a guess that the Switch following your hand movements would be a visibility issue even in that case. Personally, I always prefer the stability of a dedicated screen.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I love how you’re lumping clippa in with the n00bs :D I swear you two are like a married couple incessantly pushing each other’s buttons. But the make-up sex is still pretty decent so it somehow works.

Fuck the handicap idea it would be impossible to come up with something fair, it’ll just be fun to be playing something. Whether you’re on MAME, steam or console it doesn’t really matter. Fun may commence soon - I’m gonna fire up 1.5 Novice next chance I get.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: August 24th, 2019, 7:46 pm Fun may commence soon - I’m gonna fire up 1.5 Novice next chance I get.
Yo listen up, here's the story
About a little guy that lives in a blue world
And all day and all night and everything he sees is just blue
Like him, inside and outside
Blue his house with a blue little window
And a blue Corvette
And everything is blue for him
And himself and everybody around
'Cause he ain't got nobody to listen...
To listen...
To listen...

:P
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Fantastic episode of Mark's Electric Underground shmup podcast with Prometheus who plays DDP on keyboard. Dead interesting.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

KSub, sorry man. Yeah, Ketsui is still in the mix, fuckin love it but I tend to play Ketsui X mode for the bullet cancels. Regularly mode is great but I adore the tumbling 5 chips of X Mode so not played much regular. It seems very much like my shit, though. Ketsui is such a pure game, total berserk mode, holistic aggression, death to all comers. It's something special.

Always up for a Ketsui challenge! :D
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: August 24th, 2019, 11:14 pm KSub, sorry man. Yeah, Ketsui is still in the mix, fuckin love it but I tend to play Ketsui X mode for the bullet cancels. Regularly mode is great but I adore the tumbling 5 chips of X Mode so not played much regular. It seems very much like my shit, though. Ketsui is such a pure game, total berserk mode, holistic aggression, death to all comers. It's something special.

Always up for a Ketsui challenge! :D
Haha don't worry mate, it happens! :lol:

Okay wonderful, just what I wanted to hear. I love Ketsui too. So we can either have an Espgaluda 2 or Ketsui challenge whenever you're done with DOJ and have some time to spare. Sounds fun already!

As an aside, there is not a single boss in all of gaming that sounds nearly as badass as "Evacaneer DOOM". 8-)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I don't think there's much point me joining in a score battle - I was pleased with my ten mill in Danmaku 3 until I Googled and saw people scoring in the billions haha. Also, if we played on MAME I'd cheat and use save states and extra lives etc. I just would, sorry. I can't help it.

:lol:

EDIT: Although go on, if anyone fancies a score battle on any of the Switch shooters I've got let's go. I've only got Danmaku Unlimited 3, Hyper Sentinal and Overdriven Reloaded.

If anyone has another suggestion and it's reasonably cheap, I can pick it up Friday when I'm paid. I've also got Astebreed (I think it's called?) on PS4 and a few different ones on Vita.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Alex79uk wrote: August 25th, 2019, 10:53 am Also, if we played on MAME I'd cheat and use save states and extra lives etc. I just would, sorry. I can't help it.

The scorpion and the frog, Alex-style :D
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Chopper wrote: August 25th, 2019, 12:12 pm
Alex79uk wrote: August 25th, 2019, 10:53 am Also, if we played on MAME I'd cheat and use save states and extra lives etc. I just would, sorry. I can't help it.

The scorpion and the frog, Alex-style :D
😂
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

:D
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I know it's boring keep taking about the same game but it's the only decent one I've got really at the moment, but really loving Danmaku 3 on Switch. I've got to that point you always reach when chasing high scores whereby if I lose a life or an auto bomb during the first three stages I just restart because its not worth carrying on. I think the original R-Type was the first game I ever noticed myself doing this with. Die in the first two levels and you may as well start again because you know you'll need the lives later! It's really a fun game. Just constantly grazing bullets seems to be the smartest way to play, every opportunity.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Alex79uk wrote: August 25th, 2019, 1:58 pm I know it's boring keep taking about the same game but it's the only decent one I've got really at the moment, but really loving Danmaku 3 on Switch. I've got to that point you always reach when chasing high scores whereby if I lose a life or an auto bomb during the first three stages I just restart because its not worth carrying on. I think the original R-Type was the first game I ever noticed myself doing this with. Die in the first two levels and you may as well start again because you know you'll need the lives later! It's really a fun game. Just constantly grazing bullets seems to be the smartest way to play, every opportunity.
Not boring at all mate in fact it’s a staple of this thread to bang on and on about a game you’re on a journey with!

Have you finished it yet? How many stages are there? I wonder how far away from a 1cc you are... glad you’re enjoying it especially since it was essentially my fault you own it! 😂
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

hazeredmist wrote: August 25th, 2019, 2:45 pm
Alex79uk wrote: August 25th, 2019, 1:58 pm I know it's boring keep taking about the same game but it's the only decent one I've got really at the moment, but really loving Danmaku 3 on Switch. I've got to that point you always reach when chasing high scores whereby if I lose a life or an auto bomb during the first three stages I just restart because its not worth carrying on. I think the original R-Type was the first game I ever noticed myself doing this with. Die in the first two levels and you may as well start again because you know you'll need the lives later! It's really a fun game. Just constantly grazing bullets seems to be the smartest way to play, every opportunity.
Not boring at all mate in fact it’s a staple of this thread to bang on and on about a game you’re on a journey with!

Have you finished it yet? How many stages are there? I wonder how far away from a 1cc you are... glad you’re enjoying it especially since it was essentially my fault you own it! 😂
I can reach the final stage on one credit (well, without even losing a life actually). The final area nails me though, wish there was a way of just practicing the bosses, that would be handy.

Possibly could beat the game with continues but choosing not to use them. Really loving it!

EDIT: And let's bear in mind, this is on easy!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Definitely up for a DFK or Vasara scoring competition!