Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Magical_Isopod

Re: Shmups

Post by Magical_Isopod »

... I read that as "Mushihimesama Futanari" and I was like, "This guy are sick," and then I was like... "Wait, maybe I'm the weird one here."
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Frigging hell. That makes Devil Engine look like Thomas the Tank. I quite like the look of it and the soundtrack and I will inevitably get it. Looks so much harder than the bullet hell stuff, though.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I like the look of that, seems like it could use a tiny bit more work with the audio, some jarring sound effects but it looks like it plays well. As ever, I'll get it if it makes it to console.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Hmm. I think I'll continue to use FB Alpha and my own stick. Not really sure who the target market is for this. The games are pretty deep cuts for the most part which would appeal in principle to the relative hardcore retro fans but this is the exact demographic who would already have multiple options to play these games. As a device, Sanwa parts and all sound pretty tidy but for two hundred quid, how often would anyone be getting the use out of the two player setup?

Seriously inane pontification as I wait for the kettle to boil.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I'm after a decent schmup for the Switch.

Being a n00b (or rather just unskilled) I'm a bit hesitant. So far I've looked at Danmaku Unlimited 3, which looks cool. Also R-Type Dimensions EX. I think I'd prefer a horizontal one but as long as it's not too difficult I'll consider anything really. Would prefer modern / dedicated port, preferably impressive to look at and not a retro port (e.g. a Neo Geo game) as I have that covered on other systems. What would you guys suggest? I had Sine Mora but the time mechanic wasn't for me so I sold it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Tengai: http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/tengai

Sorry, that is a ‘retro port’ though.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

hazeredmist wrote: April 18th, 2019, 11:04 am I'm after a decent schmup for the Switch.

Being a n00b (or rather just unskilled) I'm a bit hesitant. So far I've looked at Danmaku Unlimited 3, which looks cool. Also R-Type Dimensions EX. I think I'd prefer a horizontal one but as long as it's not too difficult I'll consider anything really. Would prefer modern / dedicated port, preferably impressive to look at and not a retro port (e.g. a Neo Geo game) as I have that covered on other systems. What would you guys suggest? I had Sine Mora but the time mechanic wasn't for me so I sold it.
If you're willing to get something from the Japanese eShop, then Rolling Gunner is arguably the best shmup on the Switch in my opinion. It's got a ton of difficulty options and training modes. It's essentially a bullet hell game but it's got some interesting mechanics (the rolling gun attachment, mainly) which make it feel unique. It's potentially very challenging but because of the novice mode,easy mode and different rank options and choice of ships and training mode, it's really accessible. It's supposed to be coming out in the West at some point but who knows when that will be. It's got a cool kind of Dreamcasty art style. If you get into it and start playing for score, there's also a lot of depth.

Otherwise, Super Hydorah is very good. It's retro in aesthetic gameplay but varied, some difficulty options, a range of weapon load outs, plenty of secrets, campaign and score chasing modes. It's a great little game.

I really like Tengai which Leon suggested, too. It's probably my favourite Psikyo game.

For something slightly leftfield because it's not a pure shmup, what about Cuphead? That comes out on the Switch today. It's more of a run and gun boss rush but it's got some shmuppy elements at its core. Fair warning, though, it's tough.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

R-Type Dimensions EX is an excellent game, although it might prove to be a bit too difficult on the later stages. Definitely worth playing, though. It also has a neat 2D/3D switching mechanic to alternate between the original and new graphical styles, if you're into that sort of thing.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Ah that's just a guideline as I have so much access to retro already and fancy something modern & graphically nice on Switch, cheers for the recommendations! Tengai does look cool Leon.

@Stanshall Is it difficult to get a Japanese game? I like the sound of the training modes etc... Also I've just looked at a video online and holy shit it looks amazing /perfect for what I'm after! Side-scrolling too. I'm up for this if it's not too costly...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It would cost you £26, but I'll explain the process.

It's not that complicated. There are a couple of ways but I'll put this in a spoiler because it's off topic.
Spoiler: show
1. The most straightforward method is to set up a second Japanese account on your Switch. You can't use your UK card so you have to buy Japanese eShop credit from PlayAsia or similar. It obviously works out a little more expensive to buy the credit. You don't need to enter any address or anything like that, just redeem your code in the Japanese eShop and it adds the credit to your account.

Now, Rolling Gunner costs 2480 yen. You can only buy credit in 1000s, so you would have to get a 3000 yen eShop code. On PlayAsia, this works out at £26.26: https://www.play-asia.com/nintendo-esho ... /13/704a2w

If you shop around, you might get it marginally cheaper but PA are very quick and I've never had any issues, unlike with some other similar stores.

This obviously means you're left with 500 yen on your Japanese account. A bit annoying, but my mindset is that I'll use it further down the line, e.g. I preordered FF7 via the Japanese eShop because I had 600 yen left over so I just picked up a 1000Y code. You get the picture. Also, there are plenty of games which come out first in Japan so I know I'll use any leftover at some point.

The other minor downside (potentially) is that your news channel will now feature Japanese news stories as well as English language news, often duplicated. That doesn't bother me but there's no way to remove it without removing your account, which removes your Japanese eShop games. For me, given that I use the Japanese eShop once every couple of months, this is a neat way to get access to different games, often much earlier, and on rare occasions cheaper.

2. The other method is to change your account region to Japan: https://accounts.nintendo.com/profile/edit

You can then add the eShop credit from PlayAsia, buy the game, download it and switch your account back to the UK and have the 'neatness' of one account and no Japanese news feed. However, in changing your account back to the UK eShop, I believe that this erases your remaining credit on your former 'Japanese account', so you would basically lose a fiver or whatever. If you have any credit in your UK account, this would also be lost when you change your region to Japan via the link above. Fair warning.

Either way, despite the long explanation, it's really not complicated and I can wholeheartedly recommend Rolling Gunner.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I love the trailers for Black Bird.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Stanshall wrote: April 18th, 2019, 11:55 am It would cost you £26, but I'll explain the process.

It's not that complicated. There are a couple of ways but I'll put this in a spoiler because it's off topic.
Spoiler: show
1. The most straightforward method is to set up a second Japanese account on your Switch. You can't use your UK card so you have to buy Japanese eShop credit from PlayAsia or similar. It obviously works out a little more expensive to buy the credit. You don't need to enter any address or anything like that, just redeem your code in the Japanese eShop and it adds the credit to your account.

Now, Rolling Gunner costs 2480 yen. You can only buy credit in 1000s, so you would have to get a 3000 yen eShop code. On PlayAsia, this works out at £26.26: https://www.play-asia.com/nintendo-esho ... /13/704a2w

If you shop around, you might get it marginally cheaper but PA are very quick and I've never had any issues, unlike with some other similar stores.

This obviously means you're left with 500 yen on your Japanese account. A bit annoying, but my mindset is that I'll use it further down the line, e.g. I preordered FF7 via the Japanese eShop because I had 600 yen left over so I just picked up a 1000Y code. You get the picture. Also, there are plenty of games which come out first in Japan so I know I'll use any leftover at some point.

The other minor downside (potentially) is that your news channel will now feature Japanese news stories as well as English language news, often duplicated. That doesn't bother me but there's no way to remove it without removing your account, which removes your Japanese eShop games. For me, given that I use the Japanese eShop once every couple of months, this is a neat way to get access to different games, often much earlier, and on rare occasions cheaper.

2. The other method is to change your account region to Japan: https://accounts.nintendo.com/profile/edit

You can then add the eShop credit from PlayAsia, buy the game, download it and switch your account back to the UK and have the 'neatness' of one account and no Japanese news feed. However, in changing your account back to the UK eShop, I believe that this erases your remaining credit on your former 'Japanese account', so you would basically lose a fiver or whatever. If you have any credit in your UK account, this would also be lost when you change your region to Japan via the link above. Fair warning.

Either way, despite the long explanation, it's really not complicated and I can wholeheartedly recommend Rolling Gunner.
Cheers mate - I've read it's got a European release coming so I think I'll wait, but I do really want this.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

@Clippa Black Bird looks ace! Though the no continues thing scares me :D I'm gonna watch some gameplay vids
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

No worries and fingers crossed it comes soon. The game deserves a lot more attention. The dev is pretty active on Twitter and he replies to people regularly saying it's coming at some point.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... count+Code

This any good folks? 89p! Looks decent from the video
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

It does look cool! I've picked it up anyway, cost me 31p as I had some points. Cheers me up slightly from missing out on your previous recommendation Clippa... I went to purchase Black Bird at five past midnight when pissed, only to see it had just gone back to full price a few minutes prior.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Overdriven Reloaded on Switch seems great to me, I’ve managed a level so far and am really enjoying the gameplay! I know I have little frame of reference but I can see myself getting more into this genre already and it feels like an ideal introduction.

Loads of difficulty options & content it appears, graphically it’s very pretty if a little bland with the backgrounds. I also like that although it’s a vertical scroller, no screen real estate is wasted. Excited to play more! 89p seems nuts for this so far.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Yep, I'm kinda fascinated by it and tend to get drawn into things like this where it's a rabbit hole to discover. Overdriven seems to have come in cheaply at the perfect time to satiate initial curiosity. I definitely want other schmups but will play this for a while and see how it develops I think! And maybe try some classics. There's a lot of fun to be had in this style of gameplay, weaving in and out of impossible-looking bullet spray patterns and shooting massive ships.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Picked up Neko Navy while I remembered... 36 minutes before missing out on the 20% off. It looks delightfully mental. Thanks again for the recommendation, pretty sure from watching videos & reading up a bit I will like that one, which I’ll try after Overdriven.

This bullet hell stuff feels like some sort of mad ballet through a synchronised firework show. It’s addictive!
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’ve been jealous of everyone’s excitement and enthusiasm over this genre so I’ve decided to ever so slightly dip my toes in.

Sky Force Reloaded is 40% off in the eShop so I picked it up last night for £5.39 and I’m finding it rather compelling.

I was totally handed off to the face by Ikaruga on the GameCube, which I found inaccessible and un-rewarding for my skill level.

The much slower pace, level re-runs, increasing the power, weapons and shield of your ship over time as you collect the currency and drops makes this way easier to stomach and learn the genre.

I think it looks nice too, reminds me of those stunning Metal Slug Neo Geo games.

I appreciate this may be the Actua Soccer to the Pro Evo but it’s good fun.