Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: Shmups

Post by Stanshall »

Alex79uk wrote: July 4th, 2020, 7:44 pm Oh yeah I have Japan and USA accounts set up, just wondered how you'd gone about buying credit. Incidentally, have you tried the Japanese NES library app? It's worth getting for a couple of extra games.
I have done in the past but not got it installed at the moment. Maybe I'm somewhat odd in that I always have 54 games installed because I like having the chunks of nine games. Seems to fit the screen in a satisfying way (more so even than 6 x 6, oddly enough). Probably OCD type tendency but it's not stressful to have a different number, just visually satisfying. In terms of icon colours and chromatic balance it's also...sorry, what was the question? Yeah, great icon, I must say.

Also, still really enjoying Missile Dancer, just got a clear on Hard so only Expert to go now. Might be beyond me but it's fun enough that I'll give it a good go. It's also available on Steam for anyone interested.

PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Stanshall wrote: July 5th, 2020, 2:13 pm Also, still really enjoying Missile Dancer, just got a clear on Hard so only Expert to go now. Might be beyond me but it's fun enough that I'll give it a good go. It's also available on Steam for anyone interested.
it's only £1.69 on Steam. Sold! :o

---------

I got my first 1CC on Progear back in June, was on a high for hours. Definitely still got unfinished business there, I was on track for a second loop but hadn't fought the final boss for over a month and tried REALLY hard to throw it away.

Shmups are more or less all I'm playing at the moment, they're the only thing that shuts up my internal monologue. On good days it's like pushing a reset button on my brain :lol:

I've got Vasara, Blazing Star and Soldier Blade all sitting at the "learn the final stage" stage, and a bunch of others all demanding attention. I can't believe it's taken this long to properly sink my teeth into these games
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

^^^^AND you used to have an Iceman of Batsugun avatar, didn't you?
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Michiel K wrote: July 9th, 2020, 2:48 pm ^^^^AND you used to have an Iceman of Batsugun avatar, didn't you?
He's the kind of hero we need right now! Also designed by Junya Inoue, the director of Progear 8-) A PATTERN EMERGES 8-)

Here's that clear, btw

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Ah, cool man. Will give it a watch!

Any more progress on Gradius V? Haven't had the time to keep it up, but I shall return to it soon.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Great work with the Progear clear! What a great game, well played.

At my end, I got the UFB but I broke my Hori RAP EX PCB trying to decouple from the little sister PCBs responsible for power and whatever. I trimmed the ribbons in haste and completely broke it. No going back, no going forward. Bin.

So, I got a second hand PS4 Hori RAP4 only to find that the Brook doesn't easily fit and I still have the sister board issue with PS Home button and stuff. I did fit the LS-62-01 and it's uncomfortable for me, gives me hand cramp so I'm absolutely done now. Just hired a skip and threw everything I own in it. Gonna probably get into crystals or something now, I think.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Oh man, are you being serious? :shock:

I don't know what to say other than I'm really sorry to hear that. If I had known it would cause that much trouble I wouldn't have recommended anything. :(

Does that mean you're done with shmups for good now?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It's all true apart from the skip and the crystals. I'll get it sorted but I've been too hasty, some uncharacteristic lack of research due to, honestly, just laziness/tiredness.

And please don't apologise, it's entirely my own fault! Zero research on the 62 lever connections. Zero research on the UFB compatibility difficulties with the 360 stick I had. Zero research before I bought a RAP4. It'll be doable but I've gone about this carelessly. I've ordered some more wiring harnesses, USB female/male stuff and some PCB feet. I should be able to get it done, just would have been much easier with a Mayflash or almost anything else.

I do like the RAP4 as a housing but will probably put the 62 back to stock for now. I should say that I once didn't get beaten up by a group of lads when walking home one night because one of them said I had 'sound hands'. What do you mean? I asked. You've got hands like mine, he said. I looked at his stubby paws and then down at my own which had never looked so Simpsons until that moment. We had genuinely found common ground, a touching bond, a brother from the other side of the tracks. Quite literally, I was next to a train station! Now fuck off, he said. I was excused the beating so I guess I should be grateful but these clubbing fists no doubt contribute to the lack of comfort with the 62. True story, by the way.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Michiel K wrote: July 10th, 2020, 10:25 am Ah, cool man. Will give it a watch!

Any more progress on Gradius V? Haven't had the time to keep it up, but I shall return to it soon.
Nah I haven't been back to it for quite a while, but it's right there on my "definitely one day" pile. Tough as it is, it seems like it might be the most doable of the big Treasure shooters?

Are you planning to stream again?
Stanshall wrote: July 11th, 2020, 11:35 am At my end, I got the UFB but I broke my Hori RAP EX PCB trying to decouple from the little sister PCBs responsible for power and whatever. I trimmed the ribbons in haste and completely broke it. No going back, no going forward. Bin.

So, I got a second hand PS4 Hori RAP4 only to find that the Brook doesn't easily fit and I still have the sister board issue with PS Home button and stuff. I did fit the LS-62-01 and it's uncomfortable for me, gives me hand cramp so I'm absolutely done now. Just hired a skip and threw everything I own in it. Gonna probably get into crystals or something now, I think.
So much second-hand rage, reading this. it's like the origin story for a modern day Tetsuo Image
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Haha, that's not too far off! :D
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Killing joysticks while attempting to mod them is a bit of a rite of passage I think. I have a box full of bits from dead ones. (Though in my case it’s from persevering with a soldering iron that didn’t get hot enough, so I killed the electronics by holding the heat to the board too long).
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Cheers, Flab. That actually made me feel a bit better.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

PressEscToExit wrote: July 11th, 2020, 12:36 pm Are you planning to stream again?
Oh yeah. When there aren't new games to stream/play for the podcast!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I persisted with the LS-62-01 a little longer and also fit two Kowal short throw mods just to see what it would feel like. It's so short and stubby, it's got the immediacy of a D-pad but it's not really feasible with my grip. You need to basically use fingertips and thumb, which I know some people do without issue but it's not comfortable for me.

Anyway, I swapped in the LS-40-01 which clippa recommended way back when and this is the one for me. It's almost identical to the 32 but feels a touch tighter. Definitely right for my fat hands and grip style, felt like I didn't have to think about it at all.

I've got a new stick enclosure and various things arriving this week so I'm going to rebuild from scratch around the universal fighting board. Looking forward to getting it all set up, but I'll be a bit more patient this time around.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

All done, and working perfectly on PS4, Switch, XB1X and 360!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Clever chap!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

(Far from it, I just got a premade wiring harness in the end, plug and play all the way!)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Nice work mate. Looks really nice and minimalist too, you going to keep it like that?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Cheers! I think I will for now. The guys who I got the case from also do acrylic top plates and printed artwork but I do like it as it is. I've had a search for a few designs though and I have a couple of ideas of some traditional Chinese ink wash paintings. Would match the current colour scheme. I like the clean look, though.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Nothing wrong with using quick connects and a crimping tool instead of soldering. Works just as well (probably better) and you’re less likely to completely destroy things. Heh.