Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
hazeredmist

Re: Shmups

Post by hazeredmist »

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'd never even thought about trying different inputs but yep. Ikaruga on Switch is analogue if you use the stick and digital if you use the D-pad.

No wonder you thrashed my score, K-Dog! XD
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Did the DC and GC versions of Ikaruga treat the analogue as an analogue (sorry if I’m not keeping up)?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Okay, I just checked on the 360 version. Interesting result: The input is analogue in terms of the variable speed, but as far as I can tell, the ship only ever moves in the aforementioned 8-way fashion even in this version. No adjustable setting.

The PS4 version is digital through and through, however. 8-way and fixed speed. I can't verify on DC or GC at the moment, sorry.

In any case, this appears to have been a late addition for certain versions, and the game is perfectly playable with its digital controls on both PS4 and (apparently) arcade cabinets! It's certainly not a game that has been designed from the ground up around analogue controls like Steredenn, so I don't think we should be discouraging Haze from playing it with his arcade stick, no?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Absolutely. As I said last time this came up, I kind of feel like I haven't played the proper version through using the analogue controls. It's perfectly playable that way, I should say, but I would say that the arcade version is the 'correct' one.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

If you think about it, everything surrounding the PS4 version of Ikaruga is super weird.

It came out around the same time as the Switch version at half of its price with barely any publicity surrounding it. Now it turns out that this version somehow lacks a 'feature' that had been added to previous console ports without any explanation. And to top it off, this omission actually makes it the more precise version and (arguably) the purist's choice! :o

Anyway, Haze? Please don't let all this talk of analogue controls put you off the game. Any version you choose should be perfectly compatible with your arcade stick's digital input without any drawback. And if you don't wanna leave anything to chance, I can personally vouch for the PS4 version being 100% digital.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Cheers - if anything it just makes me want the PS4 version (when I eventually feel sadistic enough to buy Ikaruga), as I don't want analogue controls polluting the gameplay. I don't see why that would ever be implemented with a true shmup tbh, particularly one as lauded and pure as Ikaruga. Even in my short time being obsessed with this stuff.

I'm kinda tempted to get Steredenn regardless though, and as clippa suggests, treat it differently. That sounds viable. It's £4.61 from Sunday on Switch. Seems a pretty good deal and can sit alongside Enter the Gungeon as decent rogue options...

...which I'll never play due to being obsessed with Cave-style shmups. :roll:
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: July 12th, 2019, 4:39 pm Oh yeah, don't let the analogue controls put you off, the digital controls are still there and work perfectly.
For Steredenn?
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Hmm, so with Sterendenn Ikaruga really we're talking it'll Ikaruga be some handheld shmup Isaac Ikaruga replacement as opposed to a big telly Ikaruga stick game. I think Ikaruga I'll probably get it. Ikaruga.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Lost my 1cc attempt again on the last phase of the boss on stage 6 of Rolling Gunner.

Pretty dismayed. This is the easiest difficulty level and it feels within reach but the skill just isn’t there. I have to find a way to get to the boss with more lives / bombs.

Sincerely hope you lot aren’t expecting me to suddenly be challenging on your mad Ketsui / Futari black label 1.5 arrange mode normal 1cc clears. That is not in my future. I feel like a grandad trying to play with teenagers on call of duty. Or a 36 year old ill dad playing the gaming version of anxiety to relax :D

Back to the start, I’m gonna try handheld mode again. I didn’t even beat my score from last night though most of the run felt better somehow. Last night I was wrecked but it was in handheld. Chase the dragon.

COME ON
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 21st, 2019, 9:28 am I bought Rolling Gunner last night and got to the ‘extra’ final boss on my first credit on the easier mode.
One night! You downplay your ability Leon but knowing this game like I do now, I’m genuinely impressed.

I’ve just gone back and read Stanshall’s excellent post about how he got good with shmups, the timeline etc and feel a little better. I’ve not been on them long enough to get that muscle memory / ability thriving yet. I’m also relatively new to pursuing “hard games” in general, usually favouring far easier games & genres. Don’t expect too much at once. The 1cc will come. Some day on some game.

I just want to reiterate right now how much I’m enjoying Rolling Gunner. It’s so fucking good. So glad I bought it
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: July 12th, 2019, 11:11 pm That is not in my future. I feel like [...] a 36 year old ill dad playing the gaming version of anxiety to relax :D
The future is what you make of it! :P

Oh, and that would make you the... second youngest of our little group of shmup devotees according to my calculations. And if they manage to get some decent scores in-between collecting retirement checks, writing Ingrid Bergman fan-fiction and taking their gout medication, surely there is still hope for you yet.

So yeah, don't be too hard on yourself. ;)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

1cc Rolling Gunner including TLB, novice difficulty

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feel like I’ve just lost my virginity
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yaaaaay, I knew you could do it!

Congratulations! :P
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Absolutely thrilled and pumped with adrenaline after that. So yeah you need to 1cc the boss to get the real end boss, even on this difficulty. I got to it with plenty of lives thankfully as I’ve learned some tricks along the way now to manage the hoards on stage 6 in particular. Man. I know it’s the easiest difficulty but it feels good! All this while the bairn was next to me watching Thomas the Tank Engine
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

KSubzero1000 wrote: July 13th, 2019, 4:25 pm Yaaaaay, I knew you could do it!

Congratulations! :P
Thanks mate - DDP Resurrection is coming, belief is strong now
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Good on ya, beast. Great work! :D
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: July 13th, 2019, 4:33 pm DDP Resurrection is coming, belief is strong now
Wonderful, very glad to hear about the newfound confidence boost!

If I were to recommend, I would say that Crimzon Clover is probably a few notches easier and less complex than DDPR. I think it's probably been my easiest 1CC in recent times, whereas DDPR still feels ever so slightly out of my reach.

Unless you've already 1CC'd Crimzon Clover and I just forgot about it, in which case forget I said anything of course! :D
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Nah Rolling Gunner is the first, I don’t know if it really gets me a seat at the 1cc table if it’s not a higher difficulty level (there are 4, this is the easiest of 4) but like I say I can’t see a future of getting 1cc at high levels. Yet, at least.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: July 13th, 2019, 5:29 pm I don’t know if it really gets me a seat at the 1cc table if it’s not a higher difficulty level
Oh, it most certainly does.

The most difficult part is behind you now. Welcome!