Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Michiel K

Re: Shmups

Post by Michiel K »

It was on Switch.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Are we buddies on Switch? I don't recall seeing you but then I've got people on my list who have different names to their screen names or as I know them, so I don't know who they are :D
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Don't think we are. My Nintendo ID is RoodOne, but then there's the friend code thing as well, right?
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Yep

SW-8284-7608-8788
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'll add you on mine too Michiel if you've got your code. Or feel free to add me: SW-8257-5116-1420

:)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

One of my guilty pleasures at the moment is to lurk on the (official?) CAVE forum and read the thread from when SDOJ was just arriving in the arcades in 2012 and catch up on all those hardcore fans' impressions along the way. Great stuff. :lol:
Spoiler: show
Meanwhile, I can't even 1CC Novice - Shame on my ancestors
So how's it coming along, Stan? :)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Boy, those folks are really into it aren’t they!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I may have made a huge, irresponsible, devastating, wonderful mistake.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

JTAG your 360?

I'll be back to SDOJ but really knackered at the moment, pretty big swings in energy levels. Work is quite bad, sleep is bad, quite bad mood, not myself at all, unfortunately. Sorry to be a bit flighty recently, just not in the mood to post much but nothing personal at all, just wanted to summon the energy to say that much! Hope everyone is well.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 1:06 pm JTAG your 360?
Nope.

Dumber than that.

Stanshall wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 1:06 pm I'll be back to SDOJ but really knackered at the moment, pretty big swings in energy levels. Work is quite bad, sleep is bad, quite bad mood, not myself at all, unfortunately. Sorry to be a bit flighty recently, just not in the mood to post much but nothing personal at all, just wanted to summon the energy to say that much! Hope everyone is well.
No problem big guy, take care of yourself! Health is top priority. :)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Alex, Haze, mine is SW-8487-9618-7286. But I've added you both. :)

Current mood: trying to get over that deplorable performance in Gradius V on stream, last night.
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

Aww, don't let it get to you. It was a fun stream and to be fair, I sure as hell couldn't play that game with the level of distraction you're dealing with whilst also acclimatising to a different control method. A good time was still had by all 🙂
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

...bro
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Haha, thanks man... I mean bro!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 5:13 pm One of my guilty pleasures at the moment is to lurk on the (official?) CAVE forum and read the thread from when SDOJ was just arriving in the arcades in 2012 and catch up on all those hardcore fans' impressions along the way. Great stuff. :lol:
Def not an official forum, rather a high profile fan forum!

I've decided to set smaller, attainable goals in Gradius V, as opposed to getting hellbent on a 1cc that's probably far off.

And yesterday I achieved the goal I had set: survive the stage 2 boss rush and reach stage 3 wirhout continuing!

Tweet with stream highlight.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Michiel K wrote: June 6th, 2020, 1:07 pm I've decided to set smaller, attainable goals in Gradius V, as opposed to getting hellbent on a 1cc that's probably far off.

And yesterday I achieved the goal I had set: survive the stage 2 boss rush and reach stage 3 wirhout continuing!

Tweet with stream highlight.
Such a great ending to the stream!

I had another go last night, that strategy for taking out the Eyechildren is pretty much bullet proof. Didn't actually make any progress, though. Game hard.

I did figure out that the first boss is invulnerable until he starts firing his blue orbs, so you've got several seconds to take out some of his turrets and make life a bit easier for yourself. Take a look. (CW: shaft)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Oh, that is good stuff! One thing I also noticed is that if you destroy all the ring spitting turrets befor you take out the boss, it will compensate with a ton more blue orbs, so be careful with that. At least the rings are destructible.

Great to see you get into the game as well! Yeah, that new strat vs. the Eyechildren is a bit of a game changer. The extra manouevering space is crucial.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been playing the Vasara Collection (well, only the first game so far) on Switch and it's really hard! I think it might be the hardest shmup I own on the system, and I've built up a decent little collection on there now.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

One thing that helped me playing that is that I learned to charge up the melee attack way more than using regular shot, since it also cancels out enemy bullets. Finding a character that suits you well is also a big part of it. Still crazy hard games, yeah.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Been a while, not playing many shmups but thought I'd mention I picked up Raiden V on Switch the other night as it was 70% off, it's usually very expensive. Hopefully it'll be decent when I get to it.