Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
hazeredmist

Re: Shmups

Post by hazeredmist »

Nice one, good advice. I always thought that was some weird lobster. I used to have real trouble with that boss, not sure why, then all of a sudden I could easily fire>bomb>gems>fire>bomb>gems taking no hits and smashing him really quickly, staying close to him the whole time too. Having balls helps a lot (brave!) in this game.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I picked up fantasy zone on switch today. Its lovely
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

dezm0nd wrote: January 24th, 2020, 9:31 pm I picked up fantasy zone on switch today. Its lovely
Very tempted by it, myself. I really want to support anything M2 touches, so I'll be in for it sooner or later.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Shinobi is out too.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Also on the list and I've heard good stuff. I'm going to moderate my impulsive buying this year, though. I have way too much on the Switch especially which I want to give more time. So far, I've only bought Garegga in January, which was a steal and definitely going to be in rotation for a long time. I think one new game a month is a pretty decent approach so Shinobi may have to wait a while.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

big shot mark liked a tweet of mine about neko navy. I'll dine out on that for a while :swoon:
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Lots to digest there. I’m dubious about this as it sounds like it fundamentally changes how the game feels and I don’t want it to taint the original game - but I’m still getting it regardless, they’ve earned it. Any info on Switch release?
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

28th Feb if this is right. Japanese I imagine, hopefully western won’t take long

http://d-mebius.com/rolling_gunner/jp/index.html
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Haze, going back to our Neko Navy chat from a week or so ago, I had only ever done Easy and I've just tried Hard about five times and I wanted to smash my Pro Controller through the telly. Great work on the 1CC there. I find it really good fun once I get the bomb chaining going and I'm racking up points and extra lives but I find I die so often to stray bullets, it utterly kills me. I got to Stage 7 on my first go and then tried some different ships and I did shit. Eugene seems the easiest to me by a mile.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

OK, I got it.

Eugene definitely the easiest character both for scoring and survival, it seems. I did a lot of letting the screen fill with bullets and then using her full screen bomb to scoop up loads of gold. Stage 5, I think I got 2 or 3 extends because you can score so heavily. I still needed them, though. I died twice on that big blue turtle midboss thing but No Missed the final boss. Really enjoyed that and glad I didn't destroy my telly and house.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Thanks, and thanks also to Haze for prompting me to move up to Hard. I just gave Death a go as well and I got to Stage 6 so hopefully with a bit of practice, I'll see whether I can take further. I don't know how or if it's always an option on that difficulty but I unlocked/chose the Ura Route and it was cool to see different versions of familiar stages, and finally see the stage 3 boss!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Yes Stanshall!! Well done! It also means a lot to get propr congrats from you with your shmup skillset, it's probably the most legit clear I've had. I love that fucking game. All credit to Clippa for championing it. The race is on for Death... Sounds like you're not far off, I've tried it but I got nowhere near Stage 6. Clip - I presume you've beat Death? I agree btw, Eugene all the way.

That Ura route, I've unlocked that once by accident and it was great, does anyone know how to do it so I can aim for it again? A clear on Hard with that route might be a fun target. I'm also tempted to try an Easy clear with the fish thing... Maybe one day.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yo, Stan. Which arcade stick did you say was the very best for shmups right out of the box? The Real Arcade Pro EX-SE?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

That's it, yeah. Hope you've got your eyes on one!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: February 5th, 2020, 9:22 pm That's it, yeah. Hope you've got your eyes on one!
Oh, no. No, I do not.

Are you suuuuure it's the very best one, though? :P
Spoiler: show

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Is that a PS4 variant? Sounds right up my street. After being so thrilled with Garegga, I'm keen on Ketsui STG release now.

It took me about thirty seconds to see they were all letters, by the way...
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: February 6th, 2020, 5:58 am Is that a PS4 variant? Sounds right up my street.
What? No! It's the super-rare 360 VX revision variant with built-in Seimitsu parts!

Like the EX-SE, but bigger and with VEWLIX button layout instead of NOIR!

This one

THIS ONE

What are you doing, bro?? :lol:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Paradigm shifted. I don't know if I'm happy or sad.

Never heard of it!

Actually, having searched, it's a bummer that there are a million PS4 sticks obfuscating any attempt to track down sticks for other formats.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: February 6th, 2020, 6:43 am Paradigm shifted. I don't know if I'm happy or sad.

Never heard of it!
Please be happy! It's a really neat piece of tech and I was lucky enough to find one in mint condition. As far as I understand, it was a strictly limited model that was only available for a brief period of time from amazon japan.

The only issue I've had is that the proprietary 360 cable junction thingy sometimes doesn't recognize the connection at first. It does yield to persistent argumentation though, thankfully.

I would imagine the user experience to be very similar to the EX-SE, with the only differences being the size and slightly different layout. LS-32 is.... *chef's kiss*
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

This is literally the S+ rank thing all over again.
Spoiler: show
It sounds fantastic, what a find. Great work and that perhaps explains why you're dipping your toe back into Futari! Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it, I am jealous!