Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: Shmups

Post by Stanshall »

Nice one mate, should make for a decent crew.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I’m up for both!

Got high hopes for Alex here. He’s sounding like a regular owly with his approach and natural talent
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Tried a bit of Vasara today, it's absolutely BRICK.

DDP Resurrection probably suits me best because I love them all and probably played least of this one, but Vasara might be a good change. I'll do either if anyone wants to push this one way or another.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Both are appealing to me, in different ways. I'm starting to figure survival tactics in Vasara out (charge that melee attack whenever and wherever you can). DFK I've played quite a bit in the past, so I should be able to hit the ground running there. Not great at optimising my chains though, so I don't see myself doing particularly well there.

So how do we go about this?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: August 26th, 2019, 9:13 pm Anything for an easy life. I say we let the owl decide.
Okay before we decide anything we need to know if Alex is in and if so, whether or not he has DDPR and/or would be willing to buy Vasara. :)

PS: Also, I need to know what "BRICK" means in this context, because I'm just clueless. :lol:
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

HOARD, I fink. Hard like a brick.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: August 26th, 2019, 11:19 pm
clippa wrote: August 26th, 2019, 9:13 pm Anything for an easy life. I say we let the owl decide.
Okay before we decide anything we need to know if Alex is in and if so, whether or not he has DDPR and/or would be willing to buy Vasara. :)

PS: Also, I need to know what "BRICK" means in this context, because I'm just clueless. :lol:
What can I get DDPR on? Is it on Switch or PS4? I had a look at Vasara on Switch and was a little put off it was widescreen vertical scrolling, I'm sure it's fine I've just been playing narrow scrollers, does it being wide make it harder due to more enemies or easier due to more space?

EDIT: Ah, DDPR is on Vita. That would be OK, I can get that one?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The modern, multiplayer version of Vasara is widescreen, but the two original games of the package are exactly as you would expect.

Also, DDPR isn’t on Vita. I think what you’re looking at there is ship dlc for Dariusburst..?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah bugger! Wondered why it was so cheap!

Hmm OK, I can probably get Vasara collection on Friday then if that's what everyone wants to play? I think my only option with DDPR would be via MAME.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

We have until Friday to decide, because that's the earliest that Alex could play Vasara. Relax.

An unproven procedural game made by a completely unknown developer is probably the least ideal choice for having a fair competition. I suggest we choose between Vasara and DDPR since everybody seems to be on board with those. Or maybe...
clippa wrote: August 27th, 2019, 9:56 am Some caravan game where runs only last a few minutes might be the way to go.
...The caravan mode in BSIB might actually not be a bad idea. Quick and very accessible.

Alex79uk wrote: August 27th, 2019, 9:14 am I think my only option with DDPR would be via MAME.
Would it be much of a hassle for you, and were you serious when you said you would cheat if you played on emulation?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: August 27th, 2019, 10:10 am Would it be much of a hassle for you, and were you serious when you said you would cheat if you played on emulation?
It would be zero hassle, and I'd promise not to cheat :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh, I've also got Ikaruga on 360 by the way.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Ikaruga wouldn't be a great choice, I don't think. It's a bit too dry and technical, Clippa hates it and Stan & I would have a bit of an unfair head start.

I want to get into BSIB Caravan at some point, but clippa would be bored senseless if we chose that. I can always focus on that afterwards.

Alex79uk wrote: August 27th, 2019, 10:45 am It would be zero hassle, and I'd promise not to cheat :)
Cool! DDPR is looking more and more likely, it seems.

One last suggestion I would make is Astebreed. Most of us already own it (not sure on Michiel?) which means that Alex wouldn't have to make any dent into his paycheck, and everybody would be basically starting from scratch. I think that'd be a clever and interesting choice.

So, DDPR or Astebreed. Anybody got any strong feelings one way or the other? This is supposed to be fun and inclusive, so feel free to veto if you need to.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Reposting this for the new page so it doesn't get drowned out in clippa's incessant spamming. After process of elimination, I think the final choice should be between:

DoDonPachi Resurrection and Astebreed

There are pros and cons to each. If you want to veto or champion either one, now's the time to do so. ;)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

KSubzero1000 wrote: August 27th, 2019, 10:54 am So, DDPR or Astebreed. Anybody got any strong feelings one way or the other? This is supposed to be fun and inclusive, so feel free to veto if you need to.
I'd be happy with either but would prefer DDPR :D
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: August 27th, 2019, 12:06 pm I'd be happy with either but would prefer DDPR :D
Okay! Duly noted. :)

clippa wrote: August 27th, 2019, 11:46 am I was particularly impressed with how quick and efficiently my every suggestion was eliminated :lol:
Well, maybe that's because:
clippa wrote: August 24th, 2019, 6:26 pm I'll stay out of the game choosing process, make it easier. I'll find something to moan about regardless.
Sorry, but I'm not gonna waste too much time carefully evaluating the pros and cons of the latest unreleased procedural trash that popped into your brain, especially when we have true heavyweights on the table and the specific tastes and libraries of everyone to consider. :roll:

Besides, we both know you're gonna begrudgingly play whatever game ends up being chosen, so maybe we should let the others chime in for a change. You'll get your chance to shine soon enough.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Bloody hell. Ksub going in hard, and the battle hasn't even started... oO
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

DDPR is my vote.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Nice! And we know Michiel is in on DDPR as well.

clippa, would you be kind enough to help Alex get started on MAME and make sure he has everything set up correctly? We need to know whether or not everything would work out for him on the technical side of things (hardware / performance / input methods) before we can follow through with the competition. I don't want him to be at a disadvantage.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks guys, I used to run MAME competitions on an old forum so I'm fairly familiar with the set up. I'll get it sorted within the next day or so and prepare to get my arse kicked :lol: