Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Shmups

Post by KSubzero1000 »

:mrgreen:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

clippa wrote: August 5th, 2019, 11:46 pm Stanshall, what is your pc status at the minute? A total none starter? The version of shmupmame I've got is very nippy, espgaluda runs great. I could send you that, no roms, of course, all above board.
I've got a nice nippy version of a later mame too that's nice and quick for your more modern games. That's what I was playing futari black label on and I didn't notice any lag that bothered me and I'm a bit of a lag queen.
Thanks, man. It's total shit, unfortunately. As an example, if I want to create a new folder, it literally takes about thirty seconds. I suspect the insides are probably melted because it gets almost too hot to use on my lap. Because I have a work laptop and a tablet for browsing and that, I just don't have justification to get a new one when I already have more than enough gaming stuff. I appreciate I'm missing out on some quality stuff, though, and thanks for the offer. I just emulate through the PS Classic and Wii now.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

clippa wrote: August 5th, 2019, 11:46 pm The version of shmupmame I've got is very nippy, espgaluda runs great. I could send you that, no roms, of course, all above board.
Is this a build of MAME specifically designed around running more shoot em ups? If so, I wouldn't mind a link if you're happy to share. Thanks :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

No worries, I found a 4.2 version and haven't found a later one, do you know if that's the version you're using?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: August 6th, 2019, 10:10 pm Right up to the mid boss on the last level this time before I started running into bullets. It was going so well.
Yeah, that one is nasty, isn't it? Good to know you're making progress, in any case. Strategic bomb use is gonna be the key to breaking through that score ceiling, I think. :)

I'm still playing it, too. I've refined some of my boss strats and am currently planning out more judicious bomb usage. 50M is definitely coming soon, perhaps even more. We'll see!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yeah, I love that run! True art. Insanely precise. I think it's the world record, too.

I know they have leaderboards over on the shmups forum, but I'm not too bothered as to where I would rank on there. I just wanna reach my potential and know how high I can get, you know? And compare with you and whoever else wants to, of course. :)

I really dig this game. It's like this guy just took everything I love about bullet hell shooters and bundled all of it under the same unassuming package. Zero sleaze, all squeeze.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: August 7th, 2019, 12:20 am Have you heard of Blue Wish Desire? Still being worked on according to the guys twitter
No I hadn't! I thought for sure the guy had left game development altogether considering his last game was released so many years ago. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Really looking forward to it now, excellent news.

I'm not sure I'll ever understand your weird obsession with demos, but I prefer to play video games once they're done being developed and not before, thank you very much. :P
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

M2's PS4/Switch ESPrade, officially "ESPradeΨ (Psi)" confirmed for December 19th release. The Arcade Plus mode will be field tested at Taito HEY in Akiba from now until August 21st.
https://twitter.com/shmups/status/11592 ... 33056?s=21
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 8th, 2019, 11:44 am
M2's PS4/Switch ESPrade, officially "ESPradeΨ (Psi)" confirmed for December 19th release. The Arcade Plus mode will be field tested at Taito HEY in Akiba from now until August 21st.
https://twitter.com/shmups/status/11592 ... 33056?s=21
I was about to post this! It's Japan only but it's pretty big news getting a Cave game on Switch.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I imported ShotTriggers Battle Garegga for PS4, will probably do the same with this.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

For fans of the vintage, R-Type relative XMultiply is out today on the Arcade Archives label (PS4 and possibly Switch).
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Still on a handheld tip, the Nvidia Shield Portable is still getting attention here with Sine Mora. After owning it yet not really getting on with it and eventually getting rid of this this on Switch (pre shmup obsession), I think I get it now.

Gameplay wise it’s got the time mechanic going for it and once you get used to it, its fine! I used to hate it but all it’s doing really is forcing you to be aggressive which is a good thing. It kinda plays like I feel like Sky Force should play, with no mobile game mechanics and a seemingly interesting story. It looks great too. Played 3 stages, will be chipping away at it from a completion / story mode angle I think, as opposed to any 1cc chasing. It doesn’t feel like that kind of game anyway. The difficulty fun is there with the time stuff. Pleasantly surprised!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Black Bird is 50% off again on Switch. FUCK. I've been good lately, since preordering Vasera at least. WHY NINTENDO... WHY :|

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 55740.html
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oof so tempted by that but no, I'm going to resist. I have four games on Switch I haven't even started yet I want to play, and adding to that list is just silly.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Is it suitable for an arcade stick? It looks like the movement is at different speeds? It kinda looks like it would play like Aqua Kitty, or even Resogun given how you go in different directions and shoot in different directions simultaneously, which doesn't always translate to arcade sticks well in my limited experience. Looks interesting... and graphically an absolute delight.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Yo, clips. Thanks for the DOJ vids. I've been cribbing off that dude learning my stage one run. Hope he does something similar with some other Cave games, great series!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: August 9th, 2019, 7:12 pm ksub, I'm still plugging away at blue waffle remembrance puke, making one little slip, losing everything, shaking my fist at the sky and bellowing "OOOOOOWWWLLLYYYYY!"
Just in case you thought I was keeping my head down, hoping you'd forgotten all about it.
Uff, tell me about it... :mrgreen:

I haven't had as much time to dedicate to this game as I would have wanted to this past few week, but I can already sense the imminent breakthrough. My runs are getting slicker and more precise with every retry. I entered Stage 5 with a whopping 25M earlier today, as opposed to the 20M of my previous record. And then I blew it all by losing my composure and dying at the first enemy wave!!

Good to know you're persevering. I fully expect you to break my highscore at some point, just so we're clear. ;)

Enough jokes. Back to it.

Also, I'm tempted to grab Black Bird now...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

No video yet but I've been having a lot of fun with DaiOuJou and finally chained all of stage one. I've been aiming for 1000 Max Combo for the last couple of weeks so very happy to pass that. Such a rewarding game, some of the links are absolutely brutal and it feels great when you hang onto that chain by a couple of frames. Definitely more optimisation to go, though.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Cool! Looking forward to future progress. :)

Meanwhile, I feel like I've spent the entire day playing BWRP and I have absolutely nothing to show for it. Sometimes the stars simply don't align... :(

Vasara Collection in a few days, though!!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Yes! A few of us have Vasera waiting I think :)

I think I’m done with Sine Mora. The time mechanic is too pressing at certain points, taking away from enjoyment of the game. I’ve also played Deathsmiles today at a local game event, on 360 with a stick - it seemed really good and I’m gonna watch for a sale on steam. You can totally tell Rolling Gunner was made by someone who worked on it. Definitely on the wish list. As a result I’ve looked up other hori shooters from Cave and downloaded Progear to try in MAME.