Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
hazeredmist

Re: Shmups

Post by hazeredmist »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 20th, 2020, 2:32 pm
hazeredmist wrote: March 20th, 2020, 10:02 am What are you up to Ksub?
Oh, I haven't played any shmup since the cataclysm... The main appeal of this genre for me has been the back-and-forth with you guys in this thread, so it feels kinda pointless playing it by myself. Besides, I've been back into 3D action games recently. I might take another crack at Ketsui or Ika after I'm done with Doom Eternal, though!

And now my super sexy stick is biodegrading in the cupboard, just as I had feared... If only that MayFlash adapter didn't have these unspeakable 4 microseconds of lag! :mrgreen:
Yeah, I'll freely admit the banter is a big part of this too. Getting excited about sharing our goals and achievements with shmups has been tremendous fun. No need for it to end. Did you not get ESP? We still have ESP to play! And there's no reason we can't sync up if we have the same games in mind.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

ratsoalbion wrote: March 20th, 2020, 3:38 pm There’s a new vert out on most formats called Red Death.

Can’t vouch for it personally but it’s only £3-£4.
Interested - I think I'll pick it up. Cheers.

Switch link:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 44444.html
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Dezatopia also now out on Switch. Clippa played a fair bit of that, enjoyed it. Not really clicker with me yet but I'll give it a proper go when I'm a bit more in the mood. Not even turned on Animal Crossing yet, so knackered.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Picked up Red Death.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Had a quick look at Red Death and I don't think it's for me, but if you guys enjoy it, it looks like it's a prologue for a game called Project Starship, a similar looking shmup also on Switch fairly cheap, available here: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 22657.html
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

So thanks to the heads up from Haze, I've been playing this: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 84107.html

Q-Yo Blaster on Switch, its 89p!

It's a highly enjoyable, super colourful shmup in which you fly through household environments blasting insects and stuff. Very Parodius, and an absolute steal at under a quid. Check it out!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Woo! I'm excited to try it now. Glad you like it Alex. It always looked cool in the clips I'd seen, was surprised to see it drop so cheap.

Red Death doesn't seem much good on first go, wish I'd watched more videos... Also don't like that it's a vertical shmup but doesn't support switching to tate mode.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: March 24th, 2020, 4:55 pm a vertical shmup but doesn't support switching to tate mode.
BLASPHEMY
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

:lol:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It's OK, a total rip-off of Zero Ranger but why on Earth is it clogged with story sections and 'cut scenes' where you fly along with nothing to shoot? Sacrilege. It's also got nothing like the readability of ZR so several times I've died mistaking pickups for bullets.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Been trying to get into UN Squadron on the SNES a tiny bit, recently. Adjusting from 50 to 60Hz is a bigger step than I thought and so far I'm pretty bad at the game, compared to way back when. I'll keep at it. Maybe I should pick Greg to start with.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

That wasn't my night in Gradius, but I at least got this moment.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Making some progress in UN Squadron. Some of the bosses have very annoying, twitchy and randomised patterns, but I'm getting there. There is a lot of variety and that's great.

Also been getting into Fantasy Zone and its offshoots for the VW podcast.

How come I only found out about this existing last weekend? It's brilliant!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Had a decent go at Super Fantasy Zone on the MD today when my boy was using my PC for a Zoom call with his class. Reached quite far into stage 3 and ended up with a score of 99.900
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Sorry Michiel I see you're propping up the bar here.

I have:

Anger Force Reloaded
Q-Yo Blaster
Red Death

...all ready for when the urge returns. Not to mention Celeste, Cuphead, Pikanukihinfrdedoiurf whatever the fuck it's called, Demon's Tilt all on the pile too. Ksub would be scornful of my digital panic buying :D

I seem to have less time for gaming during lockdown somehow, and when I do play, Rocket League is getting prioritised as it comes with valuable human interaction. And is ridiculous fun.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Same here, man. I'm not any less busy. More so even, having to involve myself with my kids' education! :P

Also, 1creditclassics Ben is streaming a whole host of shoot 'em ups on his YouTube channel tonight!
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

I've been testing the water on a lot of shmups lately, looking for something to really sink my teeth into, and finally settled on Progear. I'd messed around with it a few times in the past and the art style really struck a chord with me, but I'd never spent the time to properly learn the mechanics. Anyway I've been playing a little bit every day and I'm now reaching the stage where I can hit level 5 on one credit, and it's time to start practising and building strategies to get me through the last level without all the panic bombing and swearing.

This is the first time I've bothered to look up how the systems actually work in one of Cave's games and MAN I love the way the interplay of rings and gems helps you carve a path through all those damn bullets, it's so smartly balanced and rewarding. Hoovering up diamonds scratches the same itch for me as picking up bolts in Ratchet and Clank but it feels way more earned in this case, like I actually deserve these.

I'm refusing to look at any high scores or videos until I get the 1CC to avoid having my spirit crushed. But bloody hell, what a game.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Oh, that's an interesting choice.

Never played that one, although it does look great. Let us know how you get on! :)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

PressEscToExit wrote: April 8th, 2020, 6:46 pm I'm refusing to look at any high scores or videos until I get the 1CC to avoid having my spirit crushed. But bloody hell, what a game.
I presonally really think that's the way to do it anyway. I love discovering stuff like this and peeling the layers back myself, rather than instantly 'downloading' optimal strats, etc.

Progear is beautiful. I've got it on my hacked o.g. Xbox, but I wouldn't mind a dedicated, enhanced port at all.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Michiel K wrote: April 9th, 2020, 10:41 am I presonally really think that's the way to do it anyway. I love discovering stuff like this and peeling the layers back myself, rather than instantly 'downloading' optimal strats, etc.

Progear is beautiful. I've got it on my hacked o.g. Xbox, but I wouldn't mind a dedicated, enhanced port at all.
I agree 100%. I have the same approach with fighting games and the Souls series, and I think the looming spectre of "what you're supposed to know" is what stops me from engaging with those communities.

The most fun part of this Progear playthrough has been stumbling across those moments of spectacle that emerge organically from experimenting, and then figuring out how to stitch them all together. I don't think I could appreciate the design in the same way if I was learning by imitation.

I do find it strange that they never gave it a wee wash behind the ears and put it on PSN or Steam. Hopefully some of the folks willing to drop £179 on that Capcom Home Arcade stick thingy will be seeing it for the first time.