Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
hazeredmist

Re: Shmups

Post by hazeredmist » August 18th, 2019, 10:07 pm

Get in! No turning back Alex!

My latest shmupdate:

Finished DDP Res Black Label. Loved it but spent about 300 credits getting there! Back to 1.5 novice next.

Also I went to play Desthsmiles last night when the missus went to bed. Felt a bit tired... Woke up at 4am in my chair, game still on the title screen with beer spilled all over me and on the carpet etc

My Steam account probably says I’ve put a few hours into it 😂 there’s your grisly truth. Another attempt tomorrow I reckon

clippa

Post by clippa » August 18th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Haha, sounds like you need a holiday.

Yes, another recruit! This is beginning to look like the start of one of those viral outbreak or zombie films.
By the end there'll be a few forum members manage to escape to resetera on a raft, breath a huge sigh of relief, only to see that it's already full of shmup nerds clutching Ikeda dakimakura (those hug pillows with the cartoon lasses on. I had to look it up, I promise).

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 19th, 2019, 4:47 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 8:14 pm
Crimzon Clover, Danmaku Unlimited 2, Deathsmiles, DoDonpachi Resurrection, The Hurricane of the Varstray. Part time PC Gamer. Boom
...Hey, aren't you forgetting something? :(

clippa wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 4:08 pm
I think I like the stress, I think it's an integral part of the experience for me.
Okay, then! Get ready for some additional experience-enhancing stress to be dropped in approximately one hour. :P

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 19th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Extremely pleased with how this one turned out.

No Miss, no bombs in the first three stages, three strategic bombs to maximize the chutes on the fourth stage, and only two bombs to help out with some of the bosses. This is about as far as my current capabilities can carry me, I reckon. :)

It's a bit difficult to gather any concrete data due to the game not having any proprietary online leaderboards but the only other player I can currently find on YouTube or various forums with a higher score is the current WR holder Emuser, to give you guys some context. So this might very well be the second best score in the world at the moment.

There is a lot of practice that went into this, so I wouldn't mind some feedback! Or even better, to convince the one or the other forumite to give this game the attention it most certainly deserves! :P

That's a weight off my shoulders all right! Time to finally play something else for a change.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 19th, 2019, 6:28 pm

So, when you play these games, are you watching the enemies, or your ship? Or both?

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 19th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Personally, I'm watching the sweet spot in-between by default, which allows me to keep an eye on both.

If I know there's no immediate danger, I focus on the enemies to make sure my shots connect where I want them to.

If I have to squeeze through a particularly tight bullet curtain, I focus on my ship's hitbox (NB: most shmups will actively display the hitbox when using the focus shot) to make sure I don't get hit. In some situations, every pixel counts.

clippa

Post by clippa » August 19th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Ksub, get OUT of my life.

@Alex You're watching your ego, your big owly head inflate, that's what you're watching.

I've seen people talk about this and I can never quite remember when I try and think about it. My eyes do different things during different situation.

If it's a game with fast bullets, they'll tend to rest horizontally where my ship is but a third of the way up the screen, not focusing on that place, but resting there, zoning out, taking in the whole play area, that place is where you can see the bullets that are the most immediate threat to you and looking above your ship, it gives you time to react and shift out the way, but also to see the other bullets in the pattern at the peripheries and take in their trajectories.

Try not to think about it, your brain will work out what to do with your eyes for you. Best not to overthink anything, it's like when you start consciously breathing or walking, you end up hyperventilating and jangling about like a puppet with tangled strings.
Just keep playing and everything will fall into place naturally.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » August 19th, 2019, 11:12 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
August 19th, 2019, 4:47 pm
hazeredmist wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 8:14 pm
Crimzon Clover, Danmaku Unlimited 2, Deathsmiles, DoDonpachi Resurrection, The Hurricane of the Varstray. Part time PC Gamer. Boom
...Hey, aren't you forgetting something? :(
Huh? I literally listed all my Steam shmups

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » August 19th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Just checked - Deathsmiles says I've played for 7 hours :lol:

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 19th, 2019, 11:16 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
August 19th, 2019, 11:12 pm
Huh? I literally listed all my Steam shmups
I know, I'm just saying... BWRP may not be on Steam, but it doesn't deserve to be swept under the carpet at every turn! :lol:

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » August 19th, 2019, 11:32 pm

Oh. Well I did say Steam specifically, if I said PC I'd have mentioned BWRP, Cho Ren Sha 68k, Edens Aegis, Hydorah in a list of what I have installed :) Not to mention ShmupMame which I need to mess with when I get time. They'll all get love in due course. Well maybe not Hydorah as I'm unsure I actually like it - or indeed that style at all - but we'll see.

I did really like BWRP when I tried it a while back, I would like a proper sit-down with it. How that game is free remains a mystery to me. I can't see me entering the battlefield with you boys score-wise though.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 20th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Everyone probably already knows this, but I realised earlier on that Switch shmup I've been playing (I dunno, something Unlimited 3 maybe!?) that if you don't shoot enemies as soon as they appear, but wait till they've fired loads of bullets at you before killing them, you can score more because when you kill them their bullets build up your meter faster to get bonus points. It does explain the meter mechanic in the tutorial, but waiting till they've fired bullets before killing them to make it build faster, that's all my own work :lol: You're welcome! :lol:

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » August 20th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Aye, the spirit system whereby bullets on screen from an enemy you’ve killed turn into spirit bullets you collect to build up that meter.

God you’re definitely getting into this stuff! Tried any other MAME stuff yet? I have a great time credit feeding my way through the old stuff on there. Be warned, this gets increasingly addictive :)

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 22nd, 2019, 9:54 pm

Was just on track for my highest score yet in Danmaku Unlimited 3 and the fucking game crashed! Stage four boss, hadn't lost a life, hadn't used a bomb.

FOR FUCK SAKE!!!

I was playing in tate mode, first time I've tried in and I'm convinced it helped with the run.

I think it's because I paused it and reattached controllers. Soon as I unpaused it later and slid joycon back off to resume, it crashed.

:(

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » August 22nd, 2019, 10:01 pm

Bugger! Bad luck, Alex. To offer some possible comfort (in a roundabout way) I've never had it crash in however many hours I've played so I wouldn't ditch it on those grounds. Sounds like you're making serious progress, by the way, Stage 4 boss NMNB (no 'miss', no bomb) is a bloody good effort. I'd be well chuffed with that run.

I've not been playing any shmups because I've been fishing for the past week but back in town tomorrow and looking forward to a few runs on DOJ stage two.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 22nd, 2019, 10:10 pm

Stanshall wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 10:01 pm
I've not been playing any shmups because I've been fishing for the past week but back in town tomorrow and looking forward to a few runs on DOJ stage two.
Hey, how about you and I get into some friendly competition again on one of the games we both own?

I think it'd be fun. :)

Lemme know.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 22nd, 2019, 10:36 pm

Stanshall wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 10:01 pm
Bugger! Bad luck, Alex. To offer some possible comfort (in a roundabout way) I've never had it crash in however many hours I've played so I wouldn't ditch it on those grounds. Sounds like you're making serious progress, by the way, Stage 4 boss NMNB (no 'miss', no bomb) is a bloody good effort. I'd be well chuffed with that run.
Yeah I'm convinced it's because I messed round with the controllers whilst I had my tea

:lol:

My last go (and highest score so far) was 10'155'231 (which isn't huge, I know!)

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » August 22nd, 2019, 11:10 pm

...and I regain my comfortable place as the n00b again. Nice! :D I need to get back on this!

Jokes aside if you’re getting to Stage 4 with no lives or bombs gone, that’s impressive as hell man. It’s no easy game... I’ve got to stage 4 boss once but not beat it and certainly with lives and bombs gone

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » August 23rd, 2019, 8:51 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
August 19th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Extremely pleased with how this one turned out.

No Miss, no bombs in the first three stages, three strategic bombs to maximize the chutes on the fourth stage, and only two bombs to help out with some of the bosses. This is about as far as my current capabilities can carry me, I reckon. :)

It's a bit difficult to gather any concrete data due to the game not having any proprietary online leaderboards but the only other player I can currently find on YouTube or various forums with a higher score is the current WR holder Emuser, to give you guys some context. So this might very well be the second best score in the world at the moment.

There is a lot of practice that went into this, so I wouldn't mind some feedback! Or even better, to convince the one or the other forumite to give this game the attention it most certainly deserves! :P

That's a weight off my shoulders all right! Time to finally play something else for a change.
Hey man, so I just watched your vid. I enjoyed it! Really makes me want to play this properly soon actually. It just doesn't compute in my head how this game is legitimately free. The bullet patterns on that final boss are insane.

Very impressive. One thing I note watching this, you (well, your ship) look SO calm to me. Bullets flying all over the place and you're just meandering around with everything under control. No stress. Me? When I play these games I am jerking all over the place like a fish trying to escape from a bucket. I guess that's what comes with learning and practicing your routes!

What are you playing with by the way? A stick?

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » August 23rd, 2019, 8:53 am

clippa wrote:
August 19th, 2019, 6:48 pm
Best not to overthink anything, it's like when you start consciously breathing or walking, you end up hyperventilating and jangling about like a puppet with tangled strings.
This is good life advice. Although it just caused me to somewhat hyperventilate, which I assume will continue until I've forgot this post :lol:

:(