Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Stanshall

Re: Shmups

Post by Stanshall » October 14th, 2019, 5:55 pm

clippa wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 4:18 pm
Wow! That was fab. Some fluky dodges going through the walls on the last stage there which I'm sure you'd hold your hands up to. Pretty bloody impressive.
Makes me want to try this now!

It's a shame normal people don't understand and give you the respect you deserve. It must be such a culture shock going from that to being pushed ahead of in queues.
The man just saved the world from mutant insects, give him a fucking burger already!
Some flukey dodges at the end of stage two, as well! That's part of the beauty of God/Ultra modes,. You have a good chance to plough straight through the wall and sometimes you basically have to. Stage one is really hard, though. I've properly got restart syndrome. That boss is a complete fucking cunt, number of times I've got to him with the 30k ready to cash in and I die a millisecond before the cancel. Not entirely sure this game is healthy for me but I'm going full shmup now. This is what I came for. Living for the cancels and micrododging and wall flukes.

And yeah, you're right. I am given absolutely no respect or appreciation for my shmup progress. Showed my wife and she said why they make a game with so many pomegranate seeds. Showed my mate in work, total nerd, nothin. No I'm not not playing Hearthstone mother fucker. Showed my mate in the pub, asked why there's a girl with big tits on two thirds of the screen, ignored the wonders of the middle third. Showed my brother, said it gave him a headache. Showed my nephew, kid said it was so cool. Kids are the future. Amen.

clippa

Post by clippa » October 14th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Yeah, my nephew thinks "unka games" are old and boring, but he can at least understand the skill involved and gives me props when I tell him I've made it a few more places up a leaderboard.
Yeah, kids are the future, thank god.

I've been consoling him today because his lass told him to shut his eyes and gave him a kiss and he got the fright of his life and told her "I don't think I'm ready for that"
Aw, bless. He said he felt really upset with himself because it made him nervous and she could tell and that made her feel bad. He's spoken to her on the phone and it's all sorted. He's bloody ten, I thought all this carry on was a few years off yet!

They went to the pictures together the other day. Oh my god, it's the cutest thing. His friends were calling her a gold digger because he got loads of money for his birthday :lol: It's been proper drama central these last few days.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » October 14th, 2019, 9:45 pm

Stanshall wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 11:48 am
No miss stages 1&2 of Futari BL God Mode before Stage 3 does its thing. Six months ago, I would never have imagined this would be possible for me. Shows how much these games are all practice.

https://youtu.be/-5j1NG-QxCE
You're amazing, man. Making me feel very small for playing these games for years and not coming near that level of skill. :lol:

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » October 15th, 2019, 10:31 am

Michiel K wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 9:45 pm
Stanshall wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 11:48 am
No miss stages 1&2 of Futari BL God Mode before Stage 3 does its thing. Six months ago, I would never have imagined this would be possible for me. Shows how much these games are all practice.

https://youtu.be/-5j1NG-QxCE
You're amazing, man. Making me feel very small for playing these games for years and not coming near that level of skill. :lol:
Too kind, man! And I meant it, God Mode isn't that much tougher than Original, there's just a lot more noise. The main difference is that you're constantly streaming or misdirecting bullets so it looks like you're weaving through the patterns but actually, a lot of it can't possibly hit you if you keep moving at the right speed. You're in control of the patterns in many cases. It kind of feels like tying the bullets into knots or something like that and then BAMMM. You get a big cancel. I reckon I can get to stage 4 with some more sensible bombing and that's Cancel Central.

clippa

Post by clippa » October 15th, 2019, 6:53 pm

I think my nephews over his nerves, he brought a different lass home tonight :o
Apparently there's another one after him as well! Absolute playa!
Gonna have to get this black label god mode tried out some time this week. I hope that star hunter or dezatopia come out soon, I'm itching for something box fresh and decent.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » October 15th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Good on the little fella. Got to sample the entire buffet.

And yeah, you gotta give God Mode a try, man, it's beastly. I started trying to figure out score tonight just to see if I could push my stage one a bit from my previous best of 25m. Absolutely twatted it with a 115m and even got a ludicrous death where the boss's health bar was smaller than my hitbox. Some gorgeous cancels here. The colour of that 30000. Goddamn. Feel like 120m would be doable. I'm absolutely chuffed with this progress, though. Probably the most fun I've had with any shmup. Totally in love.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » October 15th, 2019, 9:28 pm

^Jesus. You are skilled... Just watching that makes me feel ill, imagining how you could put it all together!

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » October 15th, 2019, 9:40 pm

Meanwhile in Early Learning Center, after adventures in Batrider detailed elsewhere, I treated myself to a go on Deathsmiles which I grabbed on Steam via Humble Store I think it was not so long ago.

I have to say I really like this game - I get total Rolling Gunner feels when playing it and I seem to gel well with the gameplay, cancelling bullets when my meter thing hits 1000, switching sides depending where the enemies are, I don't know why it feels so good and I engage with these hori shmups that have extra shit to worry about but it somehow works. I actually got all the way to the Final stage without continuing, thinking I may even be close to a 1cc, but then I lost a bunch of continues before beating the game with a bit of credit feeding. Will be going back, there seemed to be a fair few modes and stuff in the menus too. Along with DDPR, these Cave games on Steam seem like excellent value packages.

After a bit of a lull I feel like shmups are crawling back into my brain somewhat. Fun times.

clippa

Post by clippa » October 16th, 2019, 7:03 am

In a right and just world, this would be a legitimate mating ritual that'd bag you the cream of the catwalk.
and you wouldn't have died in the last microsecond.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » October 16th, 2019, 8:09 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 9:40 pm
I have to say I really like this game - I get total Rolling Gunner feels when playing it and I seem to gel well with the gameplay, cancelling bullets when my meter thing hits 1000, switching sides depending where the enemies are, I don't know why it feels so good and I engage with these hori shmups that have extra shit to worry about but it somehow works.
Sounds like you're pretty close to the 1CC there. I really should go back to this. I love Rolling Gunner like yourself and love Cave and cancelling bullets. Maybe I just need to embrace the moe on this one occasion and only with the older lass. Keep us posted how you're getting on, and totally agree about the great modes and stuff in these ports. Can I recommend Mushihimesama HD to you next? Might be the best of the lot on Steam.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » October 16th, 2019, 8:15 pm

clippa wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 7:03 am
In a right and just world, this would be a legitimate mating ritual that'd bag you the cream of the catwalk.
and you wouldn't have died in the last microsecond.
I battered my stage 1 HS this evening from 115m to 197m, so maybe that will get the prettiest feathers ruffling.

Went all out in terms of point blanking as best I can and cancelling as late as possible. I also found that cancelling the midboss gives a shitload more points than the big lad popping out the ground. I'm sure I can take advantage of some more lucrative boss patterns and crank it further but I'm still too grateful to just get past him unscathed. Really pleased with the run, though. Shows how much depth there is to the scoring side of things.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » October 16th, 2019, 8:18 pm

These ridiculously high skilled rapid-fire updates are giving me an inferiority complex. :oops:

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » October 17th, 2019, 5:12 am

Trying to strike while the iron is hot and really enjoying the spectacle of it, but honestly that hitbox really is just a suggestion. I probably would have died ten times in Original Mode with that dodging, but it's fun running through the walls! I really recommend the mode if you ever fancy something which makes you feel totally overwhelmed but is much more generous than you'd think. The bullet cancels feel sooooo good.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » October 17th, 2019, 9:00 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 8:18 pm
These ridiculously high skilled rapid-fire updates are giving me an inferiority complex. :oops:
Well you know what to do...

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » October 17th, 2019, 9:02 am

Stanshall wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 8:09 pm
hazeredmist wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 9:40 pm
I have to say I really like this game - I get total Rolling Gunner feels when playing it and I seem to gel well with the gameplay, cancelling bullets when my meter thing hits 1000, switching sides depending where the enemies are, I don't know why it feels so good and I engage with these hori shmups that have extra shit to worry about but it somehow works.
Sounds like you're pretty close to the 1CC there. I really should go back to this. I love Rolling Gunner like yourself and love Cave and cancelling bullets. Maybe I just need to embrace the moe on this one occasion and only with the older lass. Keep us posted how you're getting on, and totally agree about the great modes and stuff in these ports. Can I recommend Mushihimesama HD to you next? Might be the best of the lot on Steam.
On the wishlist, thanks buddy!

clippa

Post by clippa » October 17th, 2019, 10:56 am

Wow, balls of steel!
I had a go on this the other day in mame. I didn't say nowt because it was embarrassing. Maxthimum rethpec!
Fucking hitbox seemed big enough to me! Maybe I got unlucky, I'll have another try sometime this week.
Have you been on the jaimers brand readybrek or something? Ridiculous!

clippa

Post by clippa » October 17th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Oooooh - https://twitter.com/rollinggunner/statu ... 1117323266
"Rolling Gunner" Additional content "Rolling Gunner Over Power" Coming soon! Please stay tuned.
Translation of Japanese tweet
1 month left for Digige Expo! Project Rolling Gunner will be exhibiting space on 4th floor UDX GALLERY Y-03ab. And today's first announcement! Here is the Rolling Gunner additional content Rolling Gunner Over Power! Please expect the information as it will be disclosed from time to time.
Free arrange mode dlc? I'm happy to pay. If it's switch only mines away in the shredder.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » October 18th, 2019, 7:04 pm

clippa wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 10:56 am
Wow, balls of steel!
I had a go on this the other day in mame. I didn't say nowt because it was embarrassing. Maxthimum rethpec!
Fucking hitbox seemed big enough to me! Maybe I got unlucky, I'll have another try sometime this week.
Have you been on the jaimers brand readybrek or something? Ridiculous!
Sorry for slow reply, mad couple of days but thanks! I'd love to hear how you get on with it once you're a bit more familiar with the patterns. I fucking love this game and really enjoying every minute I can spend with it.

I have to be honest, watching a lot of Gus really made me realise you need to keep moving, there's a rhythm to the streaming and herding and I felt like I got a different feel for it though just watching how he plays it. But basically it was meth.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » October 18th, 2019, 7:20 pm

clippa wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 2:06 pm
Oooooh - https://twitter.com/rollinggunner/statu ... 1117323266
"Rolling Gunner" Additional content "Rolling Gunner Over Power" Coming soon! Please stay tuned.
Translation of Japanese tweet
1 month left for Digige Expo! Project Rolling Gunner will be exhibiting space on 4th floor UDX GALLERY Y-03ab. And today's first announcement! Here is the Rolling Gunner additional content Rolling Gunner Over Power! Please expect the information as it will be disclosed from time to time.
Free arrange mode dlc? I'm happy to pay. If it's switch only mines away in the shredder.
And I'm absolutely psyched about this. Great news. Hope for some more details soon. I've gone back to it recently and almost cleared Casual Mode but I'd love to get good and clear Normal but just not got the time to commit for the moment. I still have restart syndrome with it and if I don't nail the first stage, I tend to quit out which doesn't help.

clippa

Post by clippa » October 18th, 2019, 7:37 pm

I went down to maniac and that seemed a lot more doable for me.
I might try the first mushi maniac since I'm not sure how accurate the slowdown is in futari in mame.
I don't want any doubt in my mind that it wasn't my fault when I get hit, and to be frank, I need all the bloody slowdown I can get in a mode like that!
Stanshall wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 7:20 pm
restart syndrome
That's what I'm enjoying about batrider, you get absolutely nothing at the end for bombs and lives and it's quite generous with extends, if you die in that game early on, you don't have to restart, you're lowering the rank and you'll get the life back soon enough anyway. On my high score run I died twice during stage 3!

Right, keep moving, lead the bullets, meth, I'll try that.